cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casual Data Usage charges?

Journeyman

Casual Data Usage charges?

Am I being billed the kb casual data usage when I send text? If not, what causes these charges?
Thanks,
Joe

6 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Casual Data Usage charges?

no, text goes out without using evdo. If you are getting casual data charges, go in the phone's roaming or data menu, there's often a 'data guard' option that will prevent it from connecting to evdo. Often things like music players or other such software will use evdo to do things like download cover art. Downloading ringtones, accessing sprint.com or using the digital lounge on the phone also use evdo.

hope that helps!

Journeyman

...unless you have an older phone (Sanyo 8100, and Samsung A620 for example) then no.
There was a time when you had to send the text through the web, however the vast majority of our phones allow you to simply send a text to someone's mobile #. Make sure you type in the full # (area code included).
Also if you were to send a text to an e-mail that also does not cause pcs data charges on your bill.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Journeyman

Mr IndustrialPants wrote:
...unless you have an older phone (Sanyo 8100, and Samsung A620 for example) then no.
There was a time when you had to send the text through the web, however the vast majority of our phones allow you to simply send a text to someone's mobile #.

I have been using an old phone (samsung vga1000) since my new one broke. I got some data charges on my account this month. Are they from texting? I don't use the web at all on my phone, as far as I thought anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mujrim wrote:

Mr IndustrialPants wrote:
There was a time when you had to send the text through the web, however the vast majority of our phones allow you to simply send a text to someone's mobile #.

I have been using an old phone (samsung vga1000) since my new one broke. I got some data charges on my account this month. Are they from texting? I don't use the web at all on my phone, as far as I thought anyway.

YES the Samsung VGA1000 uses the web to send and receive text messages so that would more then likely be the reason why you are being charged.. With this phone you in fact use VISION for text messages and not SMS so if your paying for SMS and not Vision you should call and have that switched until you upgrade to a newer handsets...

Journeyman

Or you could just be getting screwed without explanation like I am. Check out my thread in this same forum called "Tired of this CRAP". Casual Data Usage Overage charges of $75 are my speciality. E-Care department is the only way to go to get it taken care of. All else is useless. Call center is definitely useless.

Journeyman

OKAY SO I GOT A BILL FOR 75$ FOR 21529KB CHARGE ON MY PHONE. WHEN I TALKED TO THE SERVICE REP I WAS TOLD THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO THE CHARGE IS THERE ON THE COMPUTER...
HOWEVER WHEN i COMPLAINED AND TOLD THEM i DO NOT USE THE INTERNET AND ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR SHE (THE SUP) INFORMED ME THAT BECAUSE I HAVE A HYBRID, SOMETIMES ON MY NEXTEL PHONE WHEN I USE IT IT RECOGINZES MY SPRINT EMAIL AND CHARGES MY PHONE CALL AS AN INTERNET CHARGE AS WELL... SO ALL MY CHARGES WERE REVERSED FOR THE CASUAL DATA CHARGE, AS WELL AS THE OTHER HYBRID PHONE ON OUR ACCOUNT... IC902..
THEY DO HAVE A $15 DOLLAR PLAN THATYOU CAN ADD ON TO THE PHONE THAT HAS UNLIMITED DATA AND TEXT MESSAGES.