cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone reception from 3G to 1x

Journeyman

Cell phone reception from 3G to 1x

Work at White sands Missile range, NM area code 88002. About two months ago our (other sprint users) cell phone reception boosted up to 3G and was working outstanding. Streaming was no problem, as was everything else. Then one day the outstanding reception stopped and now we are down to 1X at best, and find it difficult to just send and or recieve a text in this area. Everything that was working awesome "streaming, movies, music, internet....is all gone. Spoke with a "local" sprint associate in las cruces nm 88012 and was just given lip service, was told that the nearest tower will be upgraded to LTE within a few weeks, which I am assuming is better than 3G.  A large number of my associates that i work with are Sprint user, many of us rely on the cell reception for personal use and further education. I am not having problems with reception anywhere else away from the 88002 area.  Verizon users are not having my Sprint reception problems. My contract will be up this march 2014. Been with Sprint for serveral years, but now considering leaving if reception does not improve. Waiting for answers....... Can someone give me some real information and not lip service as I am ready to leave Sprint as are other loyal customers that I work with, if the reception does not go back to the once 3G that we had a few weeks ago...

22 REPLIES
Master

Re: Cell phone reception from 3G to 1x

Bigrider2014,

Thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention! I’ve looked in White Sands Missile Range, NM service is performing as expected. I don’t see any upgrades planned for the area. What device are you using? Have you tried to update the data profile? Keep me posted, I’m here for you!

Thanks,

Justin

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Own iPhone 4s updated to ISO 7.0.4.

What else can I do to try improving my reception, and is there such a thing as an upgrade into the tower supporting the area, or is that just BS?

Master

Bigrider2014,

Thank you for getting back to us. You can also try updating the data profile by dialing ##873283# tap call and tap ok 2X. You can also reset the network setting through settings >> general >> reset >> reset Network Settings. We are working diligently to get more towers upgraded. 

Jen R 
Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Updated two iphones (4S & 5) with the data profile, reset our  network settings. Following your instructions, now both cells are getting "extended 1X" with three out of five bubles filled (reception) Didn't do anything for both cell phones. You mention that you are "upgrading" towers within the area. Can you give us more detailed informtion as to "when and what" upgrades will happen to the towers within the area? We work for emergency services, on the miltary installation (civial service)  Do we qualify for the sprint "air ave"? We also rely on "sprint" reception for emergency "situations & transmissions", which is not working at all within the area. Every person that i work with, that has a sprint phone is having the same issues as I am. The only exception is if you are within 5 miles, more or less, within the nearest tower. After that, the Sprint reception is worthless.

Master

Bigrider2014,

Good to hear. There is no exact date for the LTE upgrades at this time. But we are looking to expand LTE in more and more markets. You mentioned an airave do you mean for your home or the business?

Jen R 
Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

As we work for emergency service. we work and live half of our lives on the wihite sands missile range. So to answer, it will be for personal use and work. We work on a federal facility but will be using it for personal use. Home use. The verizon users are getting service, and Sprint users get squat...side by side comparison. We (Sprint users) are looking for any kind of way to improve our reception, as it does not exisit for personal and work use. There is one major hwy that runs through our base (hwy 70, runs west/east) about 45 miles in length. there is one tower at mile marker 1 and the next nearest one is 40 ish miles away. anything inbetween these miles, sprint users get little or no reception. As posted in original messege, At one point we sprint users where getting outstanding reception from a tower. Streaming music and movies, emails, calls and intenet was not a problem. And now its all gone. The same results happend to two diffrent sprint users. Now nothing...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Airave for home use. Would this possibly help us out with reception?

Journeyman

I have the same problem in Elkton, MD.  I also noticed that phone calls started dropping when this happens also, even though I have 3-5 "bars" but data coverage goes from 3G to 1x or drops altogether in certain areas. 

Journeyman

Pumkin, its frustrating because they (Sprint) really doesnt give a shit about a few users not having reception. They have me in a tight spot because I'm on the unlimited data plan. But thats worthless to me if I cant get "ANY" reception what so ever!!!!!  This is why I am considering moving to Verizon, but then I will have to pay for data "packages" according to what I would end up using. I need it for further education internet use, as I can do it on goverment PC's. Boooooo for Sprint...I just may leave and bite the bullet on this one if nothing is resolved by the time my contract is up....

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.