cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roaming

Journeyman

Data Roaming

My account page states that I have unlimited roaming data, but I have read that there is a 300mb cap to roaming data.  What should I trust?

18 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Data Roaming

ADS20010,

Thank you for the question. www.Sprint.com/termsandconditions has the exact verbiage, but basically you need to use the majority of your data on the Sprint network.  Data roaming is included in your plan at no additional cost - but to keep the costs of our rate plans and the ability to offer things like unlimited data, we want to make sure our users are using their services primarily on our network.

Here's the legal description:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Thanks,

*David

Journeyman

Thank you for the response, but your answer is still ambiguous.  You say a majority must be on network, but point to the 300mb lanuguage.  So, if I use 500mb on network in a month as well as 300mb while roaming (only because Sprint network is very weak inside buildings in an otherwise in-network location), will my plan be terminated?

Journeyman

Dont trust anyone at Sprint they will tell you whatever that customer service rep thinks up at that time....RUN FROM SPRINT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

I cannot not call out or recieve calls but they will not let me out of my contract!!!!

They then called the cops on me for sharing my story to potential customers outside their store

Journeyman

The 300mb language is there so that they can terminate someone for roaming on data easily.  I think the 300mb is a bit out-dated considering modern data rates.  I have used more than 300mb data several different months while roaming.  What I hear about in forums is they terminate people if they are using many GB of data while roaming, especially when they aren't using much on the Sprint network.  If they find out you are having problems with service, they'll offer an Airrave free of charge, but I think you have to have internet for that to work, and it'll only work at home.  Some people use the data roaming clause as a way to get out of their Sprint contract without paying ETF, so it actually works AGAINST Sprint sometimes.  They'll root their phone and get an app called Roam Control that allows them to force their phone to always roam on another network, even if they are within range of Sprint towers.  They'll sit around and download a LOT of data until Sprint terminates their plan.  It's pretty shady, and from what I've read it takes quite a bit.  The customer service rep can't give you a straight answer on how much it takes, all they can do is point you to the terms and conditions.  They can't risk saying anything that would risk invalidating terms and conditions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree I've lost all confidence in Sprint and now I've been getting Data roaming charges once in awhile, and now it's constant. So am I getting charged "Data" roaming even though I'm constantly connected to my home wifi?

If I can find another carrier that will take on my cancellation fees, then I'm moving on!

Wizard

ADS20010

Happy to clear things up! From my understanding none of our plans include unlimited roaming, but I am only human and could be wrong. What price plan are you on? I will be happy to look into the details of your price plan and let you know what is included. When you get close to your limit (75%, 90%, 100%) of roaming off the Sprint network we will send you notifications.

Thank you,

Samantha

Sprint Social Care Team

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm mst.

Journeyman

Samantha

Good morning. I am a new Sprint customer. In fact I just activated my iPhones yesterday. My question is if I only use Data in the DFW area will there be any roaming minutes used? Also if I use my phone when I travel to Southern California (not Mexico just California) will there be any roaming minutes used?

Take care and thank you for your help.

Mike

Journeyman

Hello Eagles036,

Thanks for posting. As long as you are in Sprint coverage you will occur any roaming charges.We do have excellent coverage in DFW and California.You can check our map www.sprint.com/coverage. Thanks .*Paida

Journeyman

Hello Paida

Thank you very much for your reply.  I see you wrote "will occur any roaming charges" did you mean "will NOT occur any roaming charges"?  Also I reviewed your coverage map and it is an excellent tool.  In fact your entire site is excellent.

Thank you very much for you help

Mike

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.