cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Upgrade Fee

Journeyman

Device Upgrade Fee

Why am I being charged a device upgrade fee?  My 2 yr contract had ended and I upgraded to a new iPhone and renewed with another two year contract.  For this I am charged an upgrade fee???

28 REPLIES

Re: Device Upgrade Fee

TiggerTampa

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The Upgrade fee is a valid charge when upgrading a device. It is applied whenever a new device is activated onto the network.

If you have any additional questions in regards to this fee, please feel to reach out to us.

Zena

Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just looked at my bill and was charged the same Device Upgrade Fee except there's a new thing you're doing ADDING TAXES TO THE UPGRADE FEE!!!!!

That's unheard of to charge your customer a $36 fee then tax them on a fee. So it's NOW a fee of  $41.49 instead of $36.

Bill, a Sprint Customer Representative, stated these are the taxes ($5.49 extra) break down:

Excise tax .75

Other taxes/fee  .23

Regulatory fee County Tax .05

New York State Gross Receipts Recovery tax  .14

State tax .95

Sales tax city 1.85

Sales tax state 1.52

Guess what, these same taxes are found in the surcharges section. And what is Other taxes/fees?

I don't understand why Sprint is treating existing loyal customers like this but treating New Customers extremely nicer by waiving activation fees.

This Sprint discussion (https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/573572) will give you more of an incite of how we feel because Sprint never used to impose on us like this.... perhaps, going to your partner Boost Mobile without contracts and reducing bill with same data is what you want all of us to join. Your're pushing us all... you're pushing your existing customers away.

Master

melrod2008,

Thanks for posting your comment. We apologize, but taxes are something that we have no control over as it is mandated by the Government. Also just to clarify, the surcharges that appear on your bill is not the same as the taxes that are found under your state and local Government tax. Under surcharges you will find State Telecomm Excise, Local Excise Surcharge and Excise Recovery for the local Government.

Sprint Surcharges

Sprint Surcharges are rates we choose to collect from you at our discretion to help defray certain

costs, including but not limited to, costs associated with government programs and network

connections. Surcharges are not taxes or amounts we are required to collect from you by law.

Surcharges may include, but are not limited to: Federal USF, Regulatory Charge, Administrative

Charge, Gross Receipts Charges, and other charges. The amounts, and the components used to

calculate Surcharge amounts, are subject to change.

Government Taxes & Fees

Taxes and fees imposed directly on customers, which Sprint collects on the government's behalf.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Journeyman

Since you're not required by law to charge us surchage fees, does that mean we are not required by law to pay them? In other words, are you saying Sprint does not have to charge us surcharge fees they just choose to? Please clarify that for me.

Journeyman

Join a credit union and never be charged upgrade fee's or activation fee,s and get 10 % off

Master

lilmamax3,

Hope this link can help you understand the surcharges ww.sprint.com/taxesandfees .

Idiana

Social Care Team
Journeyman

I feel sprint is in a good place right now to offer long term customers who have no break in service time ( 10+ years) and are in good standing some type of upgrade plus plan because Ifeel I should not have to pay for a new phone at the time of upgrade. I don't mind the fee. The framily plan ? Ok new customers

Master

Hi there. We do have some options for free phones. Have you checked out the website and or visited a store. We would be happy to work on this with you.

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

I have a credit union account and still get charged a upgrade fee.  Where did you here this.