cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed by Sprint 4G/LTE progress

Journeyman

Disappointed by Sprint 4G/LTE progress

To Sprint:

The intent of this forum post is to express how disappointed I am by Sprint.  I have been frustrated for the past year and half by the strength and availability of Sprint's coverage in San Diego.  If this is the only way to express my disappointment, then I hope a Sprint representative reading this will relay the message to the top of the chain somehow.  How did the network who advertised to be "nation's first 4G network" fall so far behind it's competition in the current progress of available 4G/LTE technology?

When I first signed up for Sprint, I did it because of your family plan.  Sprint does really have aggressive pricing for unlimited data/messaging for family plans. This is definitely your main selling point.  Your second at the time was the fact you were the first network to have 4G service.  The problem was 4G was not available in San Diego.  Even if some customers have expressed that some areas of San Diego has 4G (and usually it's just one bar which is still pathetic), 4G is not readily available in San Diego.  But I had hope that Sprint may improve their 4G coverage.  I had hope that Sprint will start to expand their 4G coverage to more major cities. Even a Sprint store on Mira Mesa Blvd. in San Diego verbally said 4G is available by July 2011 in San Diego.  With this news and Sprint's aggressive price plans, I decided to switch.  I was on my own line on ATT and brought my family (also on ATT) and I together on Sprint.  Even with the debatable "premium/4G $10 data charge," I figured as long as I get my internet access (3G) I'll be fine.

Well after about a year and a half of service, I am disappointed with Sprint's coverage overall.  Sprint was the first network to have 4G.  But for some reason, they fell behind ATT and Verizon to not have as much 4G coverage at all and Sprint is not even on the LTE network yet.  Sprint was progressing so well but now it seems they have regressed, compared to ATT and Verizon.  I wasn't angry that San Diego was not the first city to get 4G, I am frustrated that it seems like Sprint has not made any real attempt to expand and better their coverage to more areas in general.  On top of this, I have not had the best messaging/call service from Sprint.  Countless times my texts are delayed and I have had dropped calls.  I never experienced that from ATT.  I did not understand ATT's commercials of delayed texts and dropped calls until I experienced Sprint's service.  Your plans may be more affordable, but if I am getting such poor quality that I do not mind paying a bit more to have more reliable service.  I feel it is just ridiculous to pay for a service that is not readily available when it's supposed to be.  Please keep in mind that this poor service is happening in the middle of San Diego.  I do not live on the edge of the county where I am close to the desert.  I work in a populated area and I live in a San Diego neighborhood with a bar at every corner.  I would not complain if I was getting poor service if I lived in the desert, but it makes no sense to me as to why Sprint's service just falls flat in the city.

I really hope Sprint realizes that they disappoint customers by not providing the best service technologically available.  If this continues, I have no problem switching networks.  It makes no sense to pay for a service at all that is not readily available.  Your pricing plan is aggressive, but it is not that much more for me to pay to have more reliable and faster service from your competitors (i.e. ATT/Verizon).  I hope Sprint is able to demonstrate to me that they do have a plan to better their service for everyone and not just limited areas.  I read about Sprint's LTE plans which includes only a limited number of cities at first.  But this seems too familiar to Sprint's originaly 4G coverage to limited areas at first, and then no new cities ever got it.  I can't see myself being a customer once my contract is up if this frustration and disappointment continues.

Frustrated,

San Diego Customer

148 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Disappointed by Sprint 4G/LTE progress

I feel your pain. Ive been with Sprint for over 15 years. I think when my contract is over this April im leaving. 4g service was supposed to be in my area 2years ago. I purchased the Evo back then and was told i had to pay $10 for the right to 4g service ?????? I've been paying for the 4g service up until now.. someone needs to file a lawsuit !!!!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

redevohalo,

Thank you for your post regarding the 4G service. I can truly understand your frustration in regards to the network status. With the emerging technology for the new industry standards for data speeds (LTE) we are now switching our format to the LTE service and buildout has already started. I have included the following link that will allow you to see future plans for our network and you can tailor it to your specific area: www.sprint.com/network This not only gives you an outlook for the data services, but it will also provide you with upgrade information regarding the voice services as well. While we do understand how upsetting, frustrating, and disappointing our customers have been during this transitional phase, we DO appreciate the patience showed during this process. We always welcome your thoughts, comments, and concerns on the forums and we will use this venue to keep our customers updated as the progress continues. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any additional updates.

Markie_B

Journeyman

If i were you i would switch to verizon. I cant wait unil I can switch without paying the 375$ fee. Sprint is by far the worse cell phone company. I have an Iphone 4s and find it impossible to ever get data speeds above .22 mbps with full bars on 3g. My brother has verizon and consistently receives 1.00+ mbps on his iphone 4. I sometimes recieve delayed text messages and always ALWAYS miss calls because my phone didnt ring. Sprint is a ripoff and if you think their prices are cheaper than most competitors your strongly mistaken. I have the family plan 1500 mins 2 phones for 130$ but it is actually 150$ a month because every phone that uses data (not just 4g devices) has to pay a 10$ premium data plan. Sprint is a total ripoff and their service is horrible, do not get yourself stuck in another two year contract with them. If it wasnt for boost and virgin mobile i bet sprint would have gone out of buisness by now. Also i forgot to mention sprint is so slow that you cant even use siri unless you are connected to wifi. Btw i dont live in a desert or the boondocks i live in waterbury ct.

Journeyman

and the even worse part of Sprint's 4G service is that, yes, it is switching over to 4G. Meaning that their existing 4G will not be expanding anymore, therefore being traded off for LTE anteneas. :/ Sprint is def making it hard to stay loyal to them!!!!

Journeyman

Totally feel ya on the iPhone issue. I have the iPhone 4S 32gb and the data speeds are TERRIBLE. The ONLY good thing about the phone is the HARDWARE and NOT the SOFTWARE.

Wizard

Sprint still has not announced 4G LTE for San Diego. If they want to keep customers they really need to set a specific timeline for San Diego. They have announced 4G LTE for markets that already have 4G wimax like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. At some point we need to ask ourselves if Sprint is committed to San Diego at all. I am so frustrated with Sprints network progress that I will most likely pay the ETF to leave Sprint when the iphone 5 launches. If I have to choose between Sprint and Apple, the choice is clear. Im willing to wait for Apples LTE but I refuse to wait for Sprint. San Diego has been burnt one too many times by Sprints network expansions and empty promises. Someone high up at Sprint needs to make the decision to move San Diego higher up on the priority list or risk losing a whole city worth of customers.

Journeyman

I have been with sprint for almost two years; a co-worker recommended the service so I decided switch from AT&T to Sprint. What was the incentive? Unlimited data, voice and message plus a 27% monthly discount from my employer. I have been very satisfied with Sprint until August of last year when I lost my Blackberry Tour.

I was without phone and could not renew my contract until March 01, 2012. A friend gave me her old Palm Treo which I was using until I started classes in January 2012. I contacted Sprint multiple times to see the possibility to renew my contract before March 1, 2012 and obtain the Galaxy II Epic White for me and my wife, but my efforts were in vain. Online customer service advised me to go to corporate store stating they were going to help me with the contract renewal, what a lie. I went to the corporate store, but the representative told me they could not change my renewal date. So I was stuck with a Palm Treo with very limited access to internet/e-mail.

So, March 1, 2012 came and I was ready to extend my contract and buy the Galaxy II Epic when I noticed that Sprint was upgrading its 4G network to 4G LTE by mid-year. I had to make a decision, buy the Galaxy S II Epic and be stuck with 4G for two years or wait a couple of more months for the 4G LTE. What’s the point of announcing 4G LTE and new phones if you are not going to launch the service almost 6 months later?

My other disappointment with is Sprint is their pricing/discount scheme that has changed during this past year. I received my February statement and was shocked when I noticed that the corporate discount is now applied only to the first line. And if I want to get a new ‘Smartphone’ you have to pay $10 extra for each line; and of course no discount on those $10 because that’s not consider part of the plan. I guess 129.99 sounds prettier than $149.99.

I begged you guys to renew my contract in February to be able to buy a phone with a discount, but you did not listen to me. Now, it is just 1 and half month for my contract to expire. You guys have been warned.

Sincerely,

A very disappointed Sprint customer.

Journeyman

I think you should go ahead and switch to Verizon Wireless with 4g LTE I was with Sprint and I live in the Indianapolis area and we dont have 4g here either. I have already switch to Verizon. There download speeds are from 6mg to 56mg a second.

Journeyman

I hate Sprint.  Years ago I loved them.  I cannot wait until my daughter's contract expires so I can switch to Verizon.  I have 4 lines with them: 3 phone, 1 data card attached to my computer.  The data card is a JOKE.  While I wait for pages to load on my high-end laptop, I am literally staring at the ceiling waiting...waiting... waiting.  I live in Carmel Valley; my fiance lives in La Jolla, and the reception in both of these locations is awful.  A few months ago, BOTH towers in Carmel Valley were malfunctioning and I had no Internet service and constant dropped calls.  Yes, there are ONLY 2 TOWERS in the entire area and it took them about 3 months to repair!  One day I actually had to go to 3 different locations until I could get service.  I am a Real Estate Broker, and I had an offer to write, clients were waiting and I HAD NO SERVICE until I finally went to Poway, where service is much better.  It was a nightmare.

The ONLY reason I stuck with this nightmare of a company is the promise of 4G.  I see that they are totally lagging, and I cannot wait to switch companies.  Unfortunately my daughter's phone broke and had to be replaced, so I'm stuck for another year of this BS.

Oh, and about the data card, here is the biggest joke:  Today I was informed via email that I'm nearing the end of my monthly usage and will be charged for any overage.  I'M NEARING THE END OF MY MONTHLY USAGE BECAUSE I SIT AND STARE AT THE CEILING WAITING FOR THE SLOWEST INTERNET CONNECTION ON EARTH TO MOOOOOOVE!