cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discount Policy Change: Share Plans

Journeyman

I have been a Sprint customer for 14 years and have seen some really poor decisions made.  In just the past two years Sprint has added a $10 per line "Premium Data add-on" to our already unlimited data plans, increased the early termination fee from $200 to $350 per line, increased the administrative fee from $.99 to $1.50 per line, added a administrative fee and a regulatory fee to the Airave, increased many other 'Sprint Surcharges' (surcharges that Sprint elects to collect not required taxes), increased the upgrade fee from $0 to $18 to $36 per line, discontinued Sprint Radio, decreased the return policy from 30 days to 14 days, eliminated the $75 & $25 upgrade discounts and the 1 year contract option, discontinued the Sprint Premier loyalty program with its 12 month upgrades and 25% off 2 or more accessories, abandoned WiMax 4G in favor of LTE 4G obsolescing our phones, eliminated the employer discount on add-ons and add-a-phones.  Now they want to separate the included additional line from our Family Plan so they can eliminate the discount on it, and add more taxes & fees.

To do this your bill now reflects the 'Everything Data Family Plan' as $110 instead of $129.99, and you have a new add-a-phone for $19.99.  Of course Sprint doesn't sell a $110 family plan, only a $129.99 with the first two lines included.  Raising prices is one thing, however, this convoluted backdoor way just strikes me as sleazy. Of course this is completely contrary to the policy effective August 2010 when they eliminated the discounts on add-on services and add-a-phones.  Quote "Discount Policy Change Notice: Effective 8/27/10, discounts will no longer apply to the monthly recurring charge for Add-a-Phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plans. The primary and second lines will continue to receive discounts."

Again, I am not against raising prices, just sleazy business practices.  I will be formally requesting waiver of contract on my 5 lines of service.

70 REPLIES
Master

I understand not wanting your bill to increase, but I don't agree that Sprint has behaved underhandedly.  We clearly print the changes on your monthly bill.  Our rates are less expensive than the other two major carriers no matter how you split up the charges and the discounts.  We are in the middle of expanding our network to include LTE and this definitely costs.  We certainly don't want to lose your business. 

Yes I admit that Sprint has made some mistakes in the past, but we try to make the best ones we can at the time.

Thank you

-John

Journeyman

Actually John I don't think you understand.  Raising prices is not my objection.  Heck Cox cable, DirecTV, XM Radio, utility companies all raise my prices fairly regularly.  But they do in in a businesslike manner.  They do not do it by redefining your product or services, or by nickel and diming you on surcharges that Sprint elects to impose.  I would have much more respect for Sprint if they simply raised their rates.  My thoughts on managements honesty and conduct is pretty well summed up in these 2 articles: Sprint Gets Shady With New Contract Changes That “Don’t Materially Alter the Contract” http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/09/29/sprint-gets-shady-with-new-contract-changes-that-dont-materi... and: Sprint raises fee, but won't free users from two-year contracts http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/28/8020661-sprint-raises-fee-but-wont-free-users-from-two....

As for "Sprint's rates being less expensive than the other two major carriers", again that is irrelevant to my dissatisfaction, it is the way you do business.  As for building out your LTE network maybe Sprint should have considered this before committing to a now abandoned WiMax network and selling millions of incompatible 4G phones to unsuspecting customers.

John it appears you work for Sprint.  I am formally requesting waiver of contract on my 5 lines of service.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Journeyman

I totally agree with you... Everybody raises their prices and I have to bite the bullet and pay it, or move on... BUT NOBODY RAISES THEIR PRICES WHEN YOU ARE UNDER A CONTRACT WITH THEM, AT A SET PRICE FOR A SET PLAN!!!   I too have been with Sprint for a very long time and I use to recommend them to others, but that all ended within the last year... they are a horrible company to deal with, they dont honor their agreements, but if you didn't honor your end of the agreemnet what do you think would happen??  

They think they can keep repeating Sprint is cheapier .... yep they are a CHEAP company (and that is not meant as a compliment) ... and you can bet money, that buy the time all of these contracts expire (referring to introducing the iphone 4s ) each person will have enough data usage information at that point, to go with someone like AT&T... becuase while Sprint might be the CHEAPEST for unlimted data, AT&T is cheaper when using the non-unlimited plan.... Many like me, wasn't sure exactly how much data we would use, so felt safer with the unlimited data plan... but I know now I could have really saved money with AT&T's plan... But I wont make the same mistake next time... I can't wait for the day to tell Sprint to sitck it were the sun don't shine!!   

I honestly have never hated a company more than I do Sprint, and never felt like I been constantly ripped off, and the worse part is, I have no choice other than to take it from them becuase they have a contract ON ME... and it appears their is nothing any of us can do about it, other than continue to take their abuse. lies and higher prices until we are out of our contract.

Journeyman

Going to look into AT&T, Verizon, & T-Mobile to get my new iPhone & will cancel my contract w/ Sprint. Also posted this new Discount Policy Change on Facebook & Twitter to show how Sprint is a bunch of bullshit, will also let people know they can cancel their contract w/ Sprint w/o incurring the ETF fee (30 days when they get their new bill).  F@#$ng sicking tire of getting extra charges & fees on my new bill every month.

Journeyman

I just got off the phone with an incredibly rude rep who was very up front to throw in my face that Sprint was still the cheapest out there.  I don't get a paper bill and I don't normally follow the burried links to see any changes on my account so I had no idea this was coming though I was "clearly notified".  When Sprint took away the Premier plan it was clear notification and I wasn't happy but it was fair notice.   The way this was done was complete bullshit.  This was tucked away in a small box off on another web page.  I can probably utilize my VzW discount to get a new phone and better service for close to the same price now.  Unlimited Data may just not be enough to keep me after 16 years of service.

Journeyman

Same thing happened to me.  My rate was changed while I was UNDER CONTRACT.  I don't have a problem if it changes when I renew, but I do expect it to remain the same until the contract expires.  The "supervisor" that I spoke to offered me a $25 credit which covered 85% of the difference.  Not 100%.......85%!  To me it wasn't about the money, it was the fact that a CONTRACT was altered without my consent.  I wasn't given any incentive to stay on as a customer.  The supervisor actually said that I could opt out of my contract if I choose to do so.  WOW!  After 10yrs they are willing to let me walk.  No incentive, nothing.  First they take away Sprint Premier, then alter contracts.  What's next Sprint?????

Journeyman

Robotaholic - you are obviously a Sprint rep of some sort.  Yes Sprint has behaved underhandedly - changing an agreement??? How much do you pay for your Sprint service???? Probably not what most of us do and if you were not receiving your full discounts you would be also replying differently on this discussion.

robotaholic - I am not a Sprint basher and have been a customer for over 11 years with as many as 6 phones (currently 4 smartphones). I understand the need to meet budgets and I am sure Sprint is attempting to do this. But....this is "underhanded." Yes, they did put it in print (buried in ebill). My contract is "129.99) not $110.00. And, Sprint is slowly losing their edge on the "cheapest" plan. I don't want to step away from Sprint but will continue to look at all of their network changes (actually loss of nonroaming data network) as well as the total price (including discounts) to decide in the next year whether I will step away from Sprint.

As I suggested in another thread, Sprint needs to use the info center to put out worthwhile messages such as this change not the bogus messages that are placed most of the time (or the space remains empty).

Journeyman

Re: Discount Policy Change: Share Plans

I think that Sprint should have honored the contract for the current customers and changed the billing for new customers.  I receive an e-bill so I was caught off guard and I am not happy.  This has blemished my impression of Sprint.  Can anyone suggest an email I can send my complaint to?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.