cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 not recognizing SD Card

Journeyman

Galaxy S3 not recognizing SD Card

Help!  My Galaxy S3 is not recognizing the memorry card-Samsung 8gb.  I just noticed it on Saturday when my pictures vanished.  Nothing happened to my phone!  I go to Settings-Storage-Mounr SD Card and nothing happens.  It says mount SD card and there is one in there?  Has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it?  Thanks!

6 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S3 not recognizing SD Card

crazay131,

Thank you for your post. I understand the confusion in this situation and am more than happy to help you troubleshoot this and get you back to enjoying your phone.

There have been a few reported issues of SD cards having issues with the Galaxy S3 and S4 on Samsung’s official forums, where they have stated that certain brands of SD cards could encounter errors or where the device no longer reads the card. I would definitely look into contacting Samsung at your leisure to see what options they may have.

However in order to see if we can recover those pictures, do you happen to have a way to plug this SD micro card into your PC or Mac computer? My recommendation is to back up your memory card through the computer, if the computer can read the card, and then format your SD card through your computer. This will bring the card back to near factory levels, similar to when you bought the card. At this point I would put the card back into your device and see if it will read the card, if it does then take all of the files from your computer and back on to the card and see if it still reads the card.

I appreciate your patience in this and your diligence for looking for the correct fix for this issue. I hope that this information helps to get you back on the right track, however please let me know if this does not fix the problem and we can look deeper into a fix for you.

Nick

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

You are not alone. Lost my sd card on s3 Sat. also with exactly the same sym.

Wizard

PLCREARY1,

Thanks for the info. Have you by chance been to a service and repair location to see if anything can be done for the SD card? This would be the best course of action in this case.

Sean L

Social Care

GrandMaster

dont you have to reformat it in the phone so its set up to be used with the phone itself and not setting itself up to be computer use only?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

fireguy_6364,

Thanks for the post. You are absolutely correct in that the card would need to be formatted in the device. I ommitted that step and focused on the PC format so that when he put the card back into the phone it would be like a factory fresh SD card with the hopes that it would be picked up and read by the phone. The phone would then prompt the user to format the card. So you are correct and thank you for catching my ommission of that last step for the SD card, and may have caused this not to get corrected properly. Definitely appreciate your input and feedback!

Nick

Sprint Social Care

GrandMaster

no worries. i have had to do this MANY times in the past due to a corrupt sd card come to find out. same rule applies to a new sd card..must be reformatted in the phone then everything added to it after that..if memory serves anything above a 32gb must be done in a different way..i have yet to go above a 32 and the phone reformat has always worked for me.

and it would have only been an additional step anyways..nothing worth worrying about really.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************