cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hawaii LTE service

Journeyman

Hawaii LTE service

I am very frustrated with the Sprint service here in Hawaii, after giving up my Evo 4g phone for the GS3 with LTE (October 2012), it was with hope after 6 months we would begin to see the LTE begin to at least come up on some locations.  The old 3g is slow and drops all over Hawaii, some cell sites hold up better but as you travel around some sites process at a crawl.  The disappointing part also was it was not available in key cities,  New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland during my travels in these 6 months.  I did see a glimmer in the Bay area and yes the LTE is fast...but the wait is frustrating.  I am also paying a lot for a Family plan with everyone converted to LTE phones with no service and a wifi addition to my phone which basicly crawls.

We need to begin to hear some time lines for various cities before I elected to jump ship when my plan expires later this year.  Frustrated..

30 REPLIES
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Hawaii LTE service

BrianKawabe,

Thank you for your post. I understand your frustration with this. Truth of the matter is we are working on being near completion by the end of 2013. Adding our Network Vision to our current 3G footprint. In many of your areas we have already started to rollout both LTE and upgraded 3G. You can see our progress by using this link: www.sprint.com/network. When you got your devices did you check to see if you had LTE prior to taking ownership of the devices? In your area you will only have 3G, But most LTE devices will use 3G as well, If you have an issue in your area you can provide that areas specific location by replying with a zip and cross st and we can look into it and check for any outages.

Victor

Sprint Social Care.

Journeyman

Victor -

You are totally missing the point.  The Hawaii Sprint users are seeking some details on when we can expect to get the 4G service (or decent 3G service even).  It's amazing to me how bad your service in Hawaii has gotten in the last six months.  Totally unacceptable and Sprint is unwilling to do anything about it.

I'm completely fed up and leaving unless I get some consideration or answers from you.

GrandMaster

might as well pack your bags then...unless you get the details from a 3rd party site like www.s4gru.com you will not be hearing any promised dates from sprint..to many variables can come up and delay them...you wont even get a rough guess of which quarter it will start in.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I honestly thought tmobile was bad, and want to join Sprint because it was unlimited 4g data. Upon research I learned WiMax was being phased out for LTE. Prior to purchasing, a sales associate told me LTE would be up by the end of the year (2012). I wouldn't mind 3g speeds for a couple months. I was wrong, Sprint 3g speeds weren't equivalent to tmobile's 3g speeds but their edge 2g speeds. I just waited patiently for LTE... but it never came. Now I'm stuck paying premium prices for a phone I only use for calls and texting.

I called customer service about my data speed, but they always say it's my phone. They send me "refreshes" or give me a "little boast" but it doesn't do anything. When I asked what speeds I should be expecting? She was clueless, she said, "uh, I don't have a speed to give you, whether that be 10 gigabytes or I don't know... blah blah blah" She doesn't even know what she's talking about. She even said they were having LTE problems in my area... I don't even have LTE in Hawaii. I asked her to clarify and she said, "Oh you have a Evo 4g LTE, I thought you had 4g LTE"... She didn't even check my area before checking for any problems... She just gave me a BS answer.

Back to them saying it's my phone that's the problem... and she kept pushing for me to take on insurance on my phone. Also, I know it's not my phone because everyone is Hawaii is getting extremely low 3g speeds. NO ONE IS SATISFIED WITH SPRINT. NO ONE WILL RENEW THEIR CONTRACT WITH SPRINT.

Journeyman

gmtom1,

Certainly not how I want you to feel. Would you mind leaving me your cross streets and zip so that I can check out the service in your area? I'd be honored to do all that I can for you.

On the LTE front I do not have an official date for Hawaii at the moment. To echo fireguy_6364 there are a great deal of variables that can have an impact on the timeline for towers and areas. Please feel free to jump over to http://www.sprint.com/newsroom and keep an eye on the latest announcements.

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

Check the whole island of Oahu.  It's terrible everywhere.  I even visited the local Sprint store here in Honolulu, and the customer service rep pretty much confirmed that everyone here is complaining.  The 3G speed is terrible - barely gets above 100-125kbps almost everywhere you go.  The problem is that Sprint stopped selling Wimax devices and only sells LTE devices now, which is causing the network to be overburdened and slow down.  It was never this bad before until you started the iphone and stopped selling Wimax devices.

You should stop charging us the $10 "Premium data" add on at the very least.

Journeyman

@SpeedNow - Same with me.  Bought the Evo LTE based on the sales associate saying Hawaii would have LTE service rolled out by the end of 2012.  Here we are at the end of Q1 2013 and still not a hint of it yet.  If you believe what other sites (s4gru.com) are posting, Hawaii is not even close to being on the radar screen until the fall.

Wizard

I'm here to help. The $10.00 data charge, helps keep data unlimited. It's not for a certain speed.  Things will change shortly. Thanks for hanging in here with us.

Than You

*Jacquice

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Its amazing that Sprint can sell any of the new Samsung phones in Hawaii right now???