cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honolulu, HI 4G LTE anytime soon?

Journeyman

Honolulu, HI 4G LTE anytime soon?

Ever since I received my iPhone 5 last September, I've been waiting for 4G LTE service in Honolulu.  I know that there are many dedicated Sprint users in Hawaii.  But, you need to realize that Hawaii is a major travel destination and many travelers are Sprint customers too.  They will appreciate the enhanced data speeds when they are on vacation.  When will we be upgraded with the 4g LTE network?

Tags (4)
113 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Honolulu, HI 4G LTE anytime soon?

jordonw,

Thanks for the post. Sorry for the delay in LTE in your area. We are working on getting 4G LTE to our current 3G footprint, we expect to be near completion by the end of 2013. At this point we have not yet announced Hawaii yet.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

early 2015 (unless sprint can prove me wrong?)

oh yeah - that extra fee you're paying is being used to roll out LTE in other areas. isn't that frustrating? (it is to me)

Journeyman

Hi all

I am in the same boat as jordonw.  I was just thinking that when my contract is up I should start looking around for  a cheaper carrier that I can use my Iphone 5 on.  I am thinking the only way that I am going to stay with Sprint is if I am going to get a new phone.  By the time my contract is up all the carrier will have 4gLTE.  So it just what carrier I can use my Iphone 5 on and if their plan is cheaper.  Because if I stay with Sprint after my contract is over and I dont get a new phone my plan does not become cheaper (or less expense), so I will still be paying the same price as if I had got a new phone.

What do you all think?  Pro and Cons

Thank you all  

Journeyman

What I did was downgrade my phone from a Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S2 for the 4G Wimax.  The Galaxy S2 is still a powerful phone and will hold me over until 4G LTE gets rolled out in Hawaii.  The 3G speeds here in Hawaii are worse than dial up though.

Journeyman

Hi all

I just visted the sprint store to pay my bill and ask about 4g LTE.  They said it is comming to Honlulu Hawaii in March of next year.  Sprint saleman said that Honolulu will be the last island in Hawaii to get 4g LTE.  All the other island in hawaii will get the LTE first.  I can not figure out why the island that has the state capital is on gets 4g LTE last.  If the saleman at sprint is tell the truth, it will only have taken a year and a half to be able to us the 4g LTE on my Iphone 5.  By then it will be time to get a new phone.  The saleman also said that if 4g LTE does not come out by the time my contract is up, he will understand if I leave (that does not easy the pain of wainting and paying for 4g LTE all this time.)

Thank you all

Journeyman

I believe you should prepare your self to leave Sprint, I have been waiting since changing my old 4g phone to the Samsung Galaxy, I should not have spent the money and either stayed with my old phone or changed carrier when my plan ended in October.  Sprint provides no plan details on their LTE network while charging a premium for 3g Service.  I am planning an exit when my contract ends unless they become more forth coming with what their plans are for certain areas.  It is very concerning when major cities are not the ones coming up first.  Los Angeles only now got their LTE and San Francisco was just a couple months ago.  I do not see Las Vegas, not sure if New York is up.

The standard answer is they are planning and working hard while my $10 premium continues to slow down on 3g.  The Costco in Hawaii I believe has suspended Sprint sales due to the above.

Plan for an exit...

GrandMaster

SevenIce wrote:

Hi all

I am in the same boat as jordonw.  I was just thinking that when my contract is up I should start looking around for  a cheaper carrier that I can use my Iphone 5 on.  I am thinking the only way that I am going to stay with Sprint is if I am going to get a new phone.  By the time my contract is up all the carrier will have 4gLTE.  So it just what carrier I can use my Iphone 5 on and if their plan is cheaper.  Because if I stay with Sprint after my contract is over and I dont get a new phone my plan does not become cheaper (or less expense), so I will still be paying the same price as if I had got a new phone.

What do you all think?  Pro and Cons

Thank you all 

if memory serves the only carrier you will be able to use your current iphone on IS sprint...the other carriers use a different channel than sprint does...actually they all use a different one lol..so you'll have to pick up a new phone from a different carrier if you decide to switch up anyways

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

SevenIce,

Thanks for your post. I'm understand your frustration with this. I do know we have started to upgrade some of the Islands in HI. Although we are currently not in Honolulu yet, we will be very shortly. We appreciate your patience with this and apologize for your inconvenience. We would like to also say we are hard at work trying to get the entire 3G foot print rolled out to network vision, this should be near completion by the end of 2013.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Is it really true that COSTCO in Hawaii has stopped selling Sprint because of their lousy service here? If it is I can't say I blame them. They must have gotten a lot of returns.

I've been with Sprint for almost 15 years and I am all set to finally dump them because I just cant take the horrible service here on Oahu any longer. I've been staying because I'm on SERO PREMIUM which is a fantastic plan IF you can actually use your phone. I hate my Samsung EPIC 4G with a passion at this point, but at least it can get 4G WIMAX occasionally.

If it is true that it will at least be another year before Oahu gets LTE then I probably will be jumping ship. It may cost a few extra bucks elsewhere but to have a fully functioning phone it will be worth it.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.