cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I separate my account from the other phones on the account if I'm still in my contract period?

Journeyman

How can I separate my account from the other phones on the account if I'm still in my contract period?

My husband and I are separating and I would like my own account. Is there a way to separate our accounts even if I am only a year into my contract?

4 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: How can I separate my account from the other phones on the account if I'm still in my contract period?

jennkust80

Great question. A transfer of liability, also known as a change of ownership is what must be done. You will be able to transfer your phone number to a new or existing Sprint account. Both parties agreement on the change is necessary. With a change of ownership, none of the contracts will be affected. For more information, jennkust80, please visit http://sprint.com/changeofownership.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Journeyman

Re: How can I separate my account from the other phones on the account if I'm still in my contract period?

jenn go to sprint.com/changeofownership and download two forms, one for you to fill out and one for the other person to fill out, sprint will create another account for the other person (the one whos name is not currently on the account) and move the number off of the account you currently share, the person whos name is not on the current account will need to run credit and start a brand new account but not a new line of service,  the contract will transfer and be the same as before, ie.. if your contract is due to end 1/1/2014 it will remain the same, the person whos name is on the existing account will no longer have any financial resposibility for that phone number once the transfer is complete, the whole process takes about 24 hours

Wizard

critchie373

Thanks for the helpful info. Great to know Community members are here to assist!!

jennkust80, to piggy back on critchie's reply, a deposit may be required when creating a new Sprint account, depending on the results of the credit check with Sprint. The amount of the deposit will be made known to you once we run your credit. With a change of ownership, you also have the option of moving your phone number to another existing Sprint account, if you have friends or family who currently have Sprint service.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thanks Ruth, I actually work for sprint as well as being a customer, I used to work in the change of ownership dept before the change over in december, the whole process has gotten alot easier since they got the website up and running, the hardest part is getting the paperwork signed and faxed in,  hope it goes well jenn, good luck

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.