cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Colorado

Journeyman

LTE Colorado

Does anyone know when, or even if, Colorado is getting LTE.  After spending some time with a Verizon iPad with LTE, it has become clear to me how lacking the Sprint data network in Colorado is.  I often use the Verizon iPad as a hotspot for my sprint iPhone so that I can get usable data speeds away from the house.  As a result, I have price compared Sprint and Verizon.  2 smartphones on Verizon with 4 gb of available fast data, costs the same as 2 smartphones on Sprint with "unlimited" data that is very limited by throughput, $150.  I no longer believe the Sprint marketing hype that I am getting a better deal with Sprint.  After over 10 years, I am considering selling my Sprint iPhone 5, paying the ETF, and changing to Verizon.  From talking with Sprint reps, and watching the website, I am not convinced that the Network Vision and LTE upgrades will make it to Colorado any time soon.  Meantime, I could be paying another carrier for data speeds that are here now.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: LTE Colorado

BSD25,

Thanks for the post. I understand your anticipation for LTE in Colorado. I live in Denver and am waiting for it myself. Unfortunately at this time we have yet to start any work here in Colorado. We are working to get LTE to our customers as soon as possible. Sorry for the lack of info.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Thank you for the info kd.fst.  I appreciate your candor.  I was told in a store today by one rep that Denver was going to be lit up with LTE by the end of the month, heard maybe 2nd quarter on the Retention line, and that work hasn't started from you.  Your info matches the website which does not list Colorado as a future LTE market.  It would help to get a little insight into Sprint's plans for Colorado.  It sounds like there aren't any.  Thanks.  Please pass along to people who care about this stuff that I, an over 10 year customer, no longer feels am getting my money's worth for the large amount of money I spend for this service, and am looking to leave at the end of my payment month on 4/16.

Journeyman

Did they start?  I just looked at my data usage and I have about 4MB showing for 4G LTE this month.  Using the Galaxy S3 so there is only LTE 4G on that.  Haven't been out of the local Denver area.

Journeyman

Yup, the build out has begun in Denver Metro. Why Sprint is keeping it a secret I don't know. If you use the maps available at Sensorly you can see the current footprint of LTE in Denver Metro. I'm guessing it will be early 2014 before there is decent coverage, but it has started!  Here;s a link to the Sensorly Sprint LTE Denver map:

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=denver,cohttp://

Thank you all for your replies and my apologies on the delayed response. We're definitely working hard to bring LTE to our customers nation wide and Colorado is no exception. While the upgrades may be in their infancy and there is no estimated time of completion due to the size of the project, we're definitely working on it. If you'd like to let me know the various cities you reside in, I can check the status as best as possible. Thank you.

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Castle Rock 80108 and where I work 80112 Centennial.

Journeyman

I too am tired of waiting!!

I have been with Sprint for 5 years now. Went from the Samsung Moment, to the Epic 4g and now the Note 2. I have bought the top of the line devices at the time, every time when my contract was up. I have 2 lines and both have been the same phones, top of the line at the time. i pay for the unlimited plans on both phones, and still no 4g LTE in Denver. Not even an estimated time frame. When i upgraded from the Epic to the Note, i was told 1st or 2nd quater. Hello!!!! its now the 3rd quater ... Way to fill your promises Sprint. At this rate, when my contract is up ... i am changing to any other Carrier than sprint. Hell, at this rate, Cricket will have 4g LTE before Sprint will. And they are even less expensive for their plans .... WTF Sprint!!! Get off your asses, stop lining your pocket books with all the effing deals and get this done before you loose too many customers.

Jeff Wolfe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, long time customer as well, much longer than you and I've bought the newest all the time and have 5 family lines with Sprint.  I'll stick with them though because they've been good and in my opinion better than other services I've compared them to.  4G LTE is coming.  Parts of Colorado (small parts) currently have Sprint 4G LTE and more is on the way.  My wife works for a company that installs these cellular antennas and they are beginning a large project for Sprint in our and other areas.  The link below shows what's currently up and it doesn't benefit me a bit where it's currently at but at least I know it's on the way!

Coverage Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly

Journeyman

Wolfeman,

As you may have noticed from previous posts, the LTE install in Colorado is underway, The Sensorly link that has been posted by several people including me will show you the current LTE locations in the Denver Metro area. If you are not familiar with Sensorly, they create their maps from data provided by actual cell phone data from people running their app. It's real data from real phones. Because of that it tends to only show signals along roadways where people actually travel. In other words, the actual coverage is usually better than what is shown on Sensorly.

From information I've been able to gather, Sprint's total rebuild of their system nationwide (called Network Vision) is about half completed, with almost 20,000 of their 39,000 towers updated. If I remember right, they started the Network Vision upgrade late in 2011, so lets just roughly say it's been 20 months since the rebuild started. That makes the pace something like 1000 towers a month they are upgrading. Seems pretty impressive to me.

As for Denver, there are new LTE sites coming on line in Denver every few days. As of July 11th, areas where you should get an LTE signal include I25 north between Erie and Mead, I76 between Hudson and Barr Lake, around Tower road between 120th and Pena Blvd, and areas along 104th Ave between I25 and tower. There is also coverage in Caste Rock. This is all based on Sensorly maps. Admittedly the coverage even in those areas is still spotty, but that's to be expected since this is the early stage of the Colorado buildout.

What I don't understand is why Sprint can't seem to communicate that information better with their reps or their customers. You can get much more accurate info from websites such as S4gru.com or Sensorly.com.

By the way, I am in no way connected to Sprint other than being a long time satisfied customer.