cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Metro Detroit

Journeyman

LTE Metro Detroit

You know what sprint, I've been loyal for over 10 years, I have 6 lines, and been promised 4g for years now. I've invested thousands of dollars in WIMAX 4g phones, I've been through 2 generations of WIMAX phones, constantly being told by customer service "It's coming." Now your switching to LTE, fine but what do I do with all these WIMAX phones, and the extra $10 a month I'm charged per line?

I feel like I've been ripped off, I watch all my friends on their 4g phones from other networks. When my contract is up I'm gone, Metro Detroit has the WORST 3g anywhere, no 4g WIMAX, no LTE slated to be built here. I have literally put thousands into these phones and data charges, and the service is so horrible I can't even use it, and sprint has no plan to make it better here.

I hate to leave after being a customer for well over a decade, but I'm spending a bunch of money on a service I can not use.

My question here is am I really supposed to invest in a technology again with no promise I'll ever be able to use it?  

Or should I just jump ship to any of the other 4 carriers in metro detroit with 4g?

To be honest I wish I had switched 3 phones ago, at least I'd be able to use some data, it takes 6 minutes for the weather channel app to load a radar image, forget watching any video, it just doesn't work, so I have unlimited data, so what? I can't use it!!! I call customer service, and they basically said "that really sucks, It's too bad we can't do anything for you." I Think I'll just take all my business elsewhere.

58 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: LTE Metro Detroit

the only way to use a phone on sprint is really to have wifi if you dont got wifi you not getting service or to be in a place where it got 4g or a wifi hotspot

Journeyman

I feel the same way.  In my opinion Sprint has ripped off everyone in the metro Detroit market for years and I can not justify spending any extra money with them any longer.  The only response from them that would change my mind is for Sprint to allow those people who have purchased 4G phones and have never had any type of 4G service to trade in thier phones for an LTE phone AT NO COST TO THEM.  Unless that happens I am leaving Sprint the first chance i get.

Wizard

Hello AaroninLP I'm sorry that you feel cheated. Originally wimax was supposed to be rolled out to many more markets, and this was to be achieved through a partnership with Clear, as you know the project unfortunately lost momentum. on the bright side our LTE rollout is being orchestrated, and backed by Sprint. I am confident that you will see a steady progression of updates in many parts of the country. I do feel obligated to mention that the $10 premium data fee is not charged specifically for Wimax, it is charged on all PDA phones because of their higher data consumption rates. Unfortunately we do not have a way to grant an early upgrade, or a free phone. Thank you, Chris.

Journeyman

Rc1024, just a few things I’d like to make clear,

1.) AaroninLP and myself are not rare sprint haters, I loved sprint, There is no other way to explain my loyalty.  The vast majority of sprint users in this market feel the same way, If you'd like any confirmation of that, ask them.

2.) The "premium data" fee, for "PDA" phones is, at this point, a joke. Sure there are "feature Phones" out there that use less data, but then sprint says "unlimited data! Yay Us!" So why the $10 if there is no data limit?

3.) I'd happily pay an extra $10 a month if I could use the F***ing data, the speeds are so horrible in metro detroit (ONLY WITH SPRINT) that I'd be willing to bet we use a similar amount of data to someone on a feature phone at another carrier.

4.) We don't feel cheated, we were cheated. I feel like I invested heavily into betamax or minidisc. Countless sprint reps promised "4g is on its way to your area, sign this contract, get this brand new evo" No 4g for the life of the phone, evo 3d, same thing. I now have 6 wimax devices because I was promised over and over wimax 4g. We have been promised 4g since 2008, when sprint launched, and are now the only carrier in the area without.

5.) Please explain to us any reason why we should not cut our losses at this point? Where is the incentive? 4g aside, the 3g is painful, and although inarticulate truly_unlimited-data is correct, sprint is great if you're using your own wifi to supplement the shotty service. And for sprint to be completely unapologetic, not even make instant subsidized phones available those of us who paved the way for lte with our "premium data"charges for 4 years, not only were we cheated, we were used.

Sprint probably won't even respond to this, because the facts are there to back this.

Wizard

Hello JRYSKI, As you may have seen originally Wimax was going to be brought to more communities, unfortunately those plans were changed I have no control over this any more than you. Since we have the reigns for the network vision upgrades, which will improve 3G service, and allow us to roll out LTE. Enhancements will come more steadily, and reliably that Clear could do for Wimax. If you are having trouble with slow 3G data you’re welcome to send me a private message, I would be glad to look into matters for you. I have to be honest I’m glad that we are rolling out LTE, and enhancing 3G. I’m saying this as a person who lives in a 3G only city, and on my second Wimax phone with about 18 months from my next upgrade. The $10 premium data fee is one of the few things helping us keep the unlimited data, #g, Wimax, or LTE. I really hope you send me a private message so I can help you.

Journeyman

Very well put JRYSKI. We were used.  And I also understand that the Sprint representatives responding to these posts have no control over the business decisions that the top management makes, they also need to understand that those decisions will drive away more and more people unless we start to get answers (which no one wants to provide).  Bottom line:  We were promised something when we bought this product and we DID NOT receive it.  Now we are being offered the exact same promise for a new product being rolled out.  Tell me why would I make this purchase again??

Wizard

I’m sorry you feel that we had taken advantage of you, this was not intentional. Ever since we launched 4G we had been asked to refer customers to sprint.com/4G to confirm Wimax coverage, or for customers to sign up for email alerts for 4g expansion. In hind sight it may have been to help prevent customers from feeling deceived.

The primary reason that our LTE, and Network Vision upgrade should not be compared to the Wimax roll out is because Wimax was being brought to us by Clear. LTE is being brought to us by us.

Journeyman

It's understood that the people like you, in customer service, had no ill intentions, however, every time i went into a sprint store or called customer service, I was promised BY A SPRINT ASSOCIATE, that 4g was months away in our area. I also understand that this is a sprint roll out, but we still have no date for Metro Detroit deployment, my current 4g capable phone (evo 3d)  barely works, its a year old and the touch screen only works 60% of the time. My contract is up in august.

My options are

1.) sign a 2 year contract with sprint and get a new phone with no promise for 4g on it, EVER. Because bottom line after being with them closing in on 13 years I believe, I just don't trust them.

2.) Sign up with any other carrier in the area, lower my bill, get new phone, have 4g coverage, and be able to use the data I pay for.

I understand you'd like me to privately message you RC1024,but I've spent countless hours on the phone with sprint about the slow data speeds, constant dropped calls, and no coverage at all at my fathers house in Belleville, and what it boils down to is that sprint does not have the infrastructure in place in the area to have consistent coverage, and enough throughput to handle the demand of the devices that use "premium data", and while sprint knows this, they have no problem charging "premium data" fee's.

To put it another way assume water company had 2 plans for water delivery:

PLAN 1: $18.00/month for water up to 200 gallons

PLAN 2: $30.00/month Unlimited water

I sign up for the unlimited plan, pay $30.00, and come to find out, yes the water is unlimited, but the pipes are only large enough to deliver 100 gallons of water per month. But I'm now locked into a contact for 2 years for an unlimited plan that is more expensive, and doesn't even meet the limitations of the first plan.

I wish sprint (as a company) could understand this is the frustration we feel.

Wish I could cc:Dan Hesse

Highlighted
Wizard

I apologize for any misinformation that was given to you. I feel it’s important going forward to set reasonable expectations. I’ve been a Sprint customer for about as long as you have, I have seen the network expand, and seen it enhanced, I too was hoping for Wimax to come to town, but it never made it to my front door. I feel very confident in LTE making it to me in a reasonable timeframe. As for your Evo 3D have you had it checked at a service center yet? They may be able to take care of the problems that you have had with your Evo 3D without having to necessarily buy a new phone. If you have not been told the Network Vision project, which we’re expecting to be complete near the end of 2013 is aimed to improve our current 3g coverage (extended range, improved capacity, faster data) , and add LTE. This is a good example of some plans http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/89948 This may help improve the coverage in Belleville to the point that you’ll get viable coverage in your father’s house. I wish you the best and hope that everything works out well for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.