cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE in New York City?

Journeyman

LTE in New York City?

I was wondering if there was any information on when Sprint plans to deploy LTE in NYC? It's a huge market so I assume it would be one the first metros they deploy in - perhaps a few smaller ones to test scalability of the infrastructure first.

I bought the Evo LTE but am considering returning it because these 3g speeds are ridiculous and since I was paying $30/month for tethering, I don't think it's feasible to keep the phone. If there's news or some signs that we'll get LTE in NYC by fall i may keep it, however, if the plans are for 2013, I might have to go back to my OG Evo for the wimax speeds

41 REPLIES
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: LTE in New York City?

We don't have a committed public timeline for NYC; we can safely assume it's 2013 / early 2014 for completion.

Journeyman

Not sure what wingland is talking about with his 2013/early 2014 completion estimate (that would be suicidal for Sprint!), but according to the following article, NYC should be one of the first cities and is already in the testing phase:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/17/2954275/sprint-lte-4g-network-vision-new-york-chicago-nashville-ad...

UPDATE: Just realized wingland was an admin, but I stand by my comment. If Sprint doesn't have LTE up in NYC by the end of this year, they'll be in for a big fail and they know it. I'd be surprised if the link above wasn't true...

Highlighted
Wizard

To expand a bit - The Network Vision project (which includes the rollout of LTE to all included markets) is set to complete by the end of 2013.  The project is rolling out in stages, so some markets will complete before others - but at this time, we don't have dates for when specific markets will be completed - which is way it is 'safe to assume' it will be done by end of 2013/beginning of 2014

Journeyman

the OP is right. Sprint, us forum users are customers, who you should probably listen to, if you ever want to compete with ATT and Verizon, and shut out T-Mobile for good. Why would you give NYC wi-max "4G" but not LTE??

Master

I am sure New York will get LTE.  What we do not have is a date.  Only got the date for the LTE turn on of the first 5 markets about 2 weeks before it happend  that was when it was announce publicly.    

Journeyman

I Agree with these users. can someone tell me why NYC was not chosen to be one of the first LTE cities. it is frustrating to have a phone that is subpar in performance to other older model phones. I have the new GS3 and i am so frustrated with how slow it is perfoming. this 3G is terrible in today standards. it is outrageous that sprint makes this giant city wait for LTE. WE SHOULD OF BEEN FIRST.  who the heck lives in kansas city? really kansas city? what aboyt three cities in Texas? why not take out one of those and bring NY up to speed. comon sprint your loosing customers.

Journeyman

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-279-new-york-city-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/

actually check out s4Gru.com, which tracks the deployment of Network Vision across the country. As of late June at last update, 31 NV sites were live in NYC market. it is predicting a LTE launch in November/December time-frame, and at latest January, 2013 wehn NV will have upgraded 50% of the cell-sites in the market given current pace of production.

Even though Sprint hasn't officially announced the next batch of markets, S4GRU.com identifies Chicago, New York, Boston, Washington DC, Los Angeles, and South Florida (originally San Francisco as well but that market seems to be slipping as Samsung is seemingly bogged down with technical issues in Chicago) as the next markets to get some LTE love, and some of these may launch as early as september.

oops, sorry, somehow link adds extra http  -- you may have to remove the second "http//" in link address to get it to work.

Master

Why Kansas City  well it is where our home offices are might have had something to do with it .  Other reason for which cities were first  The first LTE markets were selected based on the size of our customer base in each market and the relative benefit to those customers and to Sprint. Other factors were also considered, such as the timeline for acquiring permits and finalizing lease agreements. 

Journeyman

Knight I see your point, tho seeing as NYC is one of the largest markets for any good/service in the US and in the world, NYC (and Long Island) sooner than later is a no-brainer.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.