cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 2 (Note II) Jelly Bean Update (4.3) - GPS no longer works

Journeyman

Note 2 (Note II) Jelly Bean Update (4.3) - GPS no longer works

Have had this device for about 8 months.  Use GPS daily and not just for navigation.  Tagging photos with location is necessary for my work.  Update to 4.3 after being prompted to do so .... it was late at night, I wasn't thinking.  I should have said "no".  But I went ahead and sure enough something breaks.  GPS is completely non usable.  It simply does not lock onto a signal.  This phone is a brick to me without GPS.  Any help --- anyone?  (I've googled a lot to get help on this ... why must I waste my time diagnosing something that wasn't broken before)  In any case, only hopeful solution was a code I had to type in that a lot of people commented was the solution to Note II GPS problems ... BUT that had to be a Touchwiz device and, if I understand correctly, Touchwiz is gone from 4.3.  UGH - what a waste of time.

10 REPLIES
Master

Re: Note 2 (Note II) Jelly Bean Update (4.3) - GPS no longer works

WSPRINT5925, 

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your concerns.  Are you getting any error messages when trying to use your GPS?  Are you able to access the web? 

Just to make sure all is set up properly: Go to Settings-> More tab-> Location Services-> Make sure Access to my location, Use GPS Satellite and Use Wireless Network is all checked. 

Dania
Social Care

Highlighted
Master

what GPS app are you using, maps, Scout, or Navi.. (something, I forgot). Sprint now only supports Scout, if you don't have it, install it from play store it's Free. If you do use Scout, try to uninstall and re-install.

I was going to suggest you to do a factory reset, but I'm sure you have many stuff in your phone you don't want to loose and back up and re-install will be a pain.

I come here trying to help people and not because I'm employed from Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Just a fair warning - went to a Sprint service store, apparently I was only the 2nd person he saw with the upgrade so perhaps I'm early on this???  If I had known, I would not have upgraded.

In any case - he pretty much said this is typical of upgrades.  He tried all kinds of things, couldn't get GPS working - so he factory reset the phone.

It's 2000 effin 13 and they have to factory reset phones to do a decent upgrade.  I had a Palm Treo 10 years ago - you did a factory reset or bought a new phone because you lost/broke one and you plugged the thing into a docking station and 10 minutes later your new phone was 100% configured exactly the way your old one was.  You never missed a beat.

Every day I dislike google more and more (I blame this mostly on google than sprint becuase this gps lost issue is not unknown to 4.3 upgraders).

I wouldn't have upgraded if I knew I'd lose a day of work dealing with this and having to reconfigure my phone.

Master

If you use Mybackup Pro, you will have any google phone setup and looking the same as your old one, down to the folders and menus. Also if you use Kies to back up your phone, you will get all your things back, no issues.

Also Google play will automatically download all your previously downloaded apps, so 90% of the job will be done for you once you sync your phone to your Google account.

I know it's a pain but...

Also, they all, HTC, Samsung, and Google, suggest to do a factory restore in order for all the dll files to be refreshed and reorganized to get a better experience from your new update.

So, you are saying that after the factory restore, it is now working fine?

I come here trying to help people and not because I'm employed from Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

WSPRINT5925, 

A factory reset is always last option but as Dj_Damjano your phone can definitely be backed up via your Google account.  Please let us know if after the reset your GPS is working, if not I'll report back to Samsung. 

Dania
Social Care

Journeyman

THanks for your replies.  Factory reset seems to have fixed the problem.

And I must have seen an incompetent Sprint tech at the Portland Store on NE Broadway because he said I would lose everything and the only thing he could preserve were contacts & photos.  I even had to sign a disclaimer about how my phone would be wiped.

What a colossal waste of time.  I'm still trying to recover from the phone not being configured the way I had it.

I will not be accepting upgrades in the future.  Who needs this?  For what - more crapware?  Oh great - I have new icons called "Group Play" and "Game Hub".  I think that's the problem with an OS pushed out by a company run by a bunch of tweens.  They named their damn app store "Google Play" ... not "Google Productivity Center" - I think that runs to the core of my issues with Google.

GrandMaster

theres always apple lol..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

WSPRINT5925,

That is absolutely great to hear! Glad the issue has been resolved. Let us know if you have any more questions and or concerns.

I hope you have a great day!

Lucia
Social Care

Master

group play and game hub, are form Samsung and you always had them in your phone since the day you purchased it

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.