cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philadelphia, PA 4G LTE?

Wizard

Re: Philadelphia, PA 4G LTE?

DoeJohn,

Its because its not a simple thing to light up an LTE tower. First the tower has to be turned off, then upgraded, then tuned to work with the other towers. If the other towers are going to be upgraded then the process will be multiplied by the amount of towers being worked on. This is why when LTE starts to get in to new cities we get more complaints because of the towers going down. Once the upgrade is complete there has to be tunning done. If this is not done then the signal will overlap. This is not including issues with the land lords of where some of these sites reside. Or if there is a technical issue that will prevent the tower from being upgraded. I read some of these post and its obvious no one understands the process of an LTE rollout. I know everyone wants it now but unfortunately we need patience till we can fully light up more towers. The fact of the matter is we are in Philly now. It wont be long till we are lighting more towers in the area. We have over 300 towers coming to Philly, so it should not be long.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

je5646,

Im sorry you are waiting to leave. If you are in the same area I show our upgrades are a bit further for 3g in the Philly area. Right now the upgraded 3G is at 23% updated. I do understand if you still want to leave. Let us know if you need any help with getting any info from your account. As much as we want to keep you as our customer. I rather see you happy.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I don't think you give us enough credit.  The problem isn't as much that people don't understand as is that Sprint does not properly inform/communicate exactly (straight talk) what is going on.  All we know is that LTE was rolling out in September, then November, then year end 2012, then February 2013, and now Spring 2013 (which could mean June).  I purchased my GSIII in November, which was later than many.  Folks are growing tired.  The response you just provided should have been provided in July 2012.  The fact is that you were aware of all the complexities of LTE rollout before you even announced.  You shouldn't use it as an excuse because you can't keep to the timeline you promised customers. 

It's extremely frustrating to try and use my phone for anything that requires data.  I know many in this market share my frustration.  Please flip the switch!

PS

Just to be clear, the site on Rt. 1 in Lima is the only site in the market to turned off, upgraded, then tuned to work with the other towers?  And there are over 300 sites coming?  We shouldn't hold our breath!

Journeyman

I just picked up my GalaxyS3 and was told by the salesman that 4GLTE would be rolling out in Feb 2013. I guess he just wanted the commision from the upsell... If I had known, I wouldve kept my 4G phone. Because like said above, the 3g is horrible in our area. I see everyone else checking facebook and going online and I cant even get a signal.....

At bare minimum, I feel Sprint should remove the smart phone fee for everyone who cannot use the speed promised...It shouldnt be on a per customer basis. Sprint knows which phones are on 4g and which phones are getting crap...Compensate as a whole, not as each customer complains...

I can assure there will be a class action suit on this false advertising and false charges to customers... Got suckered into another 2 year contract.. I guess sprint won again...

Journeyman

A bad tower right near me is one cause of the poor service, however it took months for this to be acknowledged.  It MAY be upgraded by the end of 2013 but there is no promise of that.  I've been patient for months while tower upgrades take place only to be told that I'm SOL right now.

I can't wait until I discuss this with Sprint billing and see what type of B$ they respond with.  Zero data speeds aren't worth paying for.

Journeyman

I personally would like one of the sprint persons on here to tell me the persons working on your Boyertown tower were being honest when they claimed they have completed nearly 30 towers in the area and that we should be online with LTE in a week or two... I told the gentlemen of my plans to leave and they said please be patient we only have a little bit more fiber to run and then you will see... Hell even if they are wrong about the two week timeline atleast give us something... Coming months is not good enough for me...

Highlighted
Wizard

wreckmster,

When did you get your device? Have you had it activated longer than 14 days? If not and your not satisfied you should return it to the dealer you bought it from. If you feel your sales were not met, I suggest not keeping something that is not going to work for you. The truth is we just started setting up LTE in Philly. I do know Philly is expected to get over 600 towers. But this is going to take time. As Philly is not the only area in PA we are working in.

Just for the record. The $10 premium data fee is not for 4G. We charge this fee because today's smartphones use 10x more data then a feature phone. This is 3G 4G wimax if you get it. Smartphones are always on data and we charge the fee to keep unlimited data, unlimited. We don't throttle, we don't cap. If you are not getting data in your area, Sprint can look into how much usage you actually use and make considerations. But we will look into your account, we will look into your call detail report (for data) and research and review. Any of our customers can do this. If you don't get or use any data we can check that and fix the issue. By creating a network ticket so our teams can fix the towers or adjust them to suit your issue.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

EZEKIEL.sheard,

Thanks for the post. You can always check our coverage maps and LTE rollout by checking out this link: www.sprint.com/network . This link will provide you with all the info about your area and what services are active.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Hi Victor...

I've asked several times about the 4G LTE here and always get the response "We're working on it" and have since browsed this board and that seems to be the consensus.

While I do understand that it takes a while and there will always be problems in rolling it out, there are absolutely NO excuses why Sprint put LTE in HERSHEY/HARRISBURG first??  are you even serious?  How can you justify that?  Philadelphia is a MUCH larger city with a lot more subscribers than the middle of PA.

Furthermore, the excuses i hear about it taking time to update the network, is BS. I mean was no one at Sprint being PROACTIVE and looking at what ATT and Verizon were doing? how can you be this far behind in technology?

The iPhone 5 is basically junk on sprint right now... I can't even download apps without being hooked up to wi-fi at home, completely ridiculous!

I have been a Sprint customer since 2001 and really havent been that upset about their service until now, with my first iPhone. (had 4G on EVO previously) and now with the iPhone 5, have been bumped BACK to 3G.

3G here is awful and barely works half the time... I know you guys can't give a specific date, but is there any range of time that you can honestly give?

I mean are we just waiting for nothing at this point?  are we talking about 3-6 more months or 10-15 months? 

Like another subscriber said on here, I am basically waiting until my contract runs out.  Its embarrassing to have a phone like this and not be able to use it to its full capacity because of the network. 

Journeyman

So is the Galaxy S3. I can only get 3G, but my son (using my old Galaxy SII) and my daughter (a Conquer) both get 4G. The Galaxy S3 is an awesome phone, but it would be a lot better with 4G LTE, which I've never even experienced. They told me 6 months when I bought it. Been a lot longer than that and I'm in Wilmington, DE. From the coverage map, it seem to make more sense that LTE would have followed the I95 corridor into Philly vs. Harrisburg and Hershey. Been too long coming and I'm considering other options at this point.