cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor and Inconsistent 3G coverage in Shreveport, LA?

Journeyman

Poor and Inconsistent 3G coverage in Shreveport, LA?

My son is consistently experiencing poor 3G coverage in the Shreveport, LA area (zip code 71115) with his Samsung Galaxy 2 Epic 4G Touch.  Text messages constantly fail and trying to send a picture takes an act of Congress, not to mention phone calls that just don't seem to go through.  Anyone else having similar issues?  The "techs" at the local Sprint facilities don't seem to be able to help - they don't really seem to be very knowledgeable at all.

7 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Poor and Inconsistent 3G coverage in Shreveport, LA?

NoTime2TalkNow:

We certainly want to keep your son connected.  Towers in your area are being upgraded to LTE.   As they are being upgraded he may experience slow data, no data, blocked calls, dropped calls and delayed texts as the functioning towers pick up on capacity.  I know that while the upgrades are taking place some annoying things may happen, but he will be oh so please when his area is fully upgraded.  Techs are working as fast as they can to get the upgrades completed.

Jon

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thanks so very much for the update Jon!  As his cell phone is his only phone (and we're in Virginia so it's our only way of talking with him) any idea as to an ballpark ETA so I can give him an idea as he's really frustrated - called yesterday wanting his Verizon back - and if you knew how frustrated he was with the other guys that says a lot (I had Sprint and we consolidated our three phones to Sprint just after we moved him).

Thanks!

Highlighted
Wizard

NoTime2TalkNow:

His frustration is understandable.  Yours as well!  You are very welcome.  Updating is what I do and what I'm here for. 

The tower upgrades do take time.  Techs are meticulous.   They will perform an upgrade, test it, bring it down to tweak it, retest it and so on until they are satisfied.  Due to the number of towers, as you can imagine, this can make the completion take a while.  I would be remiss if I gave you an exact date range and due to unforeseen circumstances it took longer.  They are working as fast as possible to get them all done.  While they are working on one tower upgrade the surrounding towers will attempt to compensate.  This may cause slow data, no data, dropped calls, blocked calls and delayed texting.  His device may also need to re-synch to any tower changes that have been completed and he may have to do so periodically.  To do that, he merely needs to turn his device off and remove the battery for at least 1 minute.  Power it back on and perform a PRL update. 

If he is not sure how to do that he can go here:  http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Update_data_profile_Samsung_Galaxy_STM_ll_Epic_4G_Touch/2...

He can find a plethora of tips and tricks for his device here:  http://support.sprint.com/support/morearticle/support_tutorial/deviceProfile?INTNAV=SUSmiley Very HappyPSmiley SurprisedV:TUTSmiley FrustratedamsungGa...

He can check on the progress of the updates in his area here:  www.Sprint.com/LTE

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I am always here to help.

Jon

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thanks for the additional information - I'll pass it along and ask him to be patient a bit longer.  Also thanks for the tips to help out in the meantime.

Wizard

You are most welcome!  Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Jon

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

How delayed can text messages be as a result of this issue.  My son is "missing" about a dozen texts and almost missed a group meeting related to one of his summer classes because he didn't receive them - and still hasn't received them and that was days ago...his other concern at the moment is how many other text messages has he not yet received that he isn't even aware of yet?  He's trying to be patient, but when someone sends a text, they presume it was received so have no idea it is floating out there in the ether somewhere.  He also send some text messages to me about a week ago that suddenly popped up in the middle of a current text conversation...  Trying to be patient, but we're not getting what we're paying for...

Wizard

NoTime2TalkNow

Thanks for the update.  The delay texts can vary based on the amount of work which has completed and what is remaining.  I was able to obtain an update from the local engineers and they have completed more than 50% of the towers so he should be able to start to see some improvements in many areas.  To get him up to date with the latest upgrades so far, on the Samsung Galaxy SII have him go into the Sprint Zone application (make sure he has the latest version of 4.5), click Help, click Dashboard, click System Updates and Update Profile.  Once this completes it will give him one of two possible messages, it will either advise it completed and he should see improvements in the services or an alert will appear and it will give him information why he is experiencing issues.  Let us know the outcome I want to make we have been looking at this from the right angle and its not something else going on.

Sprint Social Care Team

David