cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint, Please get ahead of this phone unlocking process before the FCC forces it.

Journeyman

Sprint, Please get ahead of this phone unlocking process before the FCC forces it.

Under current terms and conditions, unlocking is only allowed for international use.  When are you going to change?

FCC Chairman Pushes Carriers to Allow Phone Unlocking | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

27 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Sprint, Please get ahead of this phone unlocking process before the FCC forces it.

It appears the FCC has come to an agreement with the carriers on phone unlocking.

I am asking a Sprint representative to please answer this post, and clarify the unlocking policy and when this will take effect.  I want full disclosure here, as my private property or owned hardware has proprietary code that I want removed.  This code is preventing me from taking my hardware to another service provider.  My attorney is already preparing the proper necessary claims starting next week, including posts that have been posted and removed by Sprint.

US carriers agree to unlock customers’ phones after pressure from FCC | Ars Technica

Master

Re: Sprint, Please get ahead of this phone unlocking process before the FCC forces it.

Don't expect to get an answer in here for your inquiry, especially if you say that you have your lawyer printing posts from here.

Just so you understand, that is an agreement, not a law, so Sprint is not even supposed to do anything if they feel like, specially since Congress passed a law that will give ppl that unlock from 3rd parties, 5 yrs in jail, and $500K fine.

You can read this too, not much info but you will get the official answer to your questions. Re: Sprint Reps, can you please help clarify?

I come here trying to help people and not because I'm employed from Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Appreciate that, and I know I do not expect to hear from any representative from Sprint.  My previous post is in reference to hardware, and who is the owner and you know the rest.

This case is of a different subject matter, as I posted initially.  The FCC statement is laughable.   

Master

Chrisjohnson64,

Thanks for posting. I understand you're wanting clarification on our unlocking policy and when it will take a effect. As this time, an official statement or announcement hasn't been released. Please stay tuned as more information will be forthcoming via www.sprint.com/newsroom.

Thank You,

DePaul W.
Sprint Social Care Team 

GrandMaster

im unable to read this currently but does your link happen to say there is a supposed deadline for when all carriers must abide by this?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Technically, within the 1st 6 months they have to comply with 3 out of 6 points and within 12 months with all of them.

So far Sprint complies with 2 out of 6. Armed forces personnel and the 2 day return time for unlocking process (if they ok you for unlocking)

I come here trying to help people and not because I'm employed from Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

for some reason i dont see this being something they will publicly announce...and odds are it will be put in writing somewhere but def in the fine print area.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

well, one of the points in the FCC ruling was that they have to clearly specify it and that they will have to let everyone know about unlocking option, when your 2yr contract is about to expire.

GrandMaster

the main thing im wondering is when will the FCC enforce this? or if anything im sure there is a deadline as to when each carrier must start to abide by this..its not exactly something each of the carriers can just jump onto out of nowhere..it will be something they must add into their usual legal stuff and involve certain groups etc etc..as nice as it would be i dont see it happening to quickly...there are always hoops that can be jumped through when it comes to these types of things..i see all the carriers finding one way or another to slip past some of these rules.