cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 4G coming to Des Moines, Iowa?

Journeyman

When is 4G coming to Des Moines, Iowa?

Hello,

Does anybody know when 4G is coming to Des Moines, Iowa?  Let alone, 4G LTE?!?  I have the EVO 4G LTE and I'm getting pretty frustrated that I can't get 4G on my phone yet.  They have said it for over 2 years that Des Moines is 'Next' but obviously they don't know.  So...does ANYBODY know when Des Moines, Iowa will get 4G?!?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES

Re: When is 4G coming to Des Moines, Iowa?

LONGHORNS3551,

Thanks for your post. I can understand your frustration and we certainly want to get 4G LTE to Des Moines ASAP. With the size of the project it is hard to put an exact ETA on when everything will be complete. With that said, there are upgrades underway there > https://network.sprint.com/search/+Des+Moines%2C+Iowa/

Thanks!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know I getting really tired of this canned answer to these types of questions: "With the size of the project it is hard to put an exact ETA on when everything will be complete"

I can understand not being able to tell us when LTE deployment can be completed but by golly somebody at Sprint has schedules and estimated timelines for simply starting it.  I'm sure they are not just throwing darts at a US map and saying "lets start there today"!

Its bad that we have to rely on a site like S4GRU.com to give us any kind of reasonable expectation to keep us with Sprint while their network is going to crap during the overhaul.

Journeyman

Sick of the runaround too.  I was "hinted" at Spring 2013 for an LTE deployment in the Des Moines area.  The effing Sprint "upgrade" map says that there are capacity or speed upgrades, but not what tech is going in (definately not LTE!).  And the best S4GRU gives is an Eastern Iowa upgrade estimated in 2013 Q4!?! WTF?!  Iowa, especially central Iowa is at the Ass-end of Sprints plans.  I knew I should have just spent to money and switched to Verizon last time around.  They skipped us for WiMax and they'll skip us again on LTE.  If my S3 would work with big red I'd pay and switch, but sprint's LTE implementation is incompatiable with everyone else's!

Journeyman

This is why I use Verizon for my business phone. nuff sed...

Journeyman

It is quite annoying that the map they keep providing to us when we ask when we will receive 4G LTE services shows only the improvements they have made over the last 6 months. I don't care to know what they have already done. I want to know when I should be expecting my pathetic data speeds to increase and to stop dropping calls! My S3 is an amazing device. I would love to see what it is fully capable of, but I can't use half of the features let alone make basic calls with out having data/connectivity issues!

Journeyman

Sprint representatives and agents are not allowed to release tentative roll out dates.  The size of the project is massive.  They are updating nearly 95% of their towers--ripping out old equipment and reinstalling all new base stations, radios, and panels.  In addition, Sprint itself is not doing the work--they have contracted three different companies (Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, and Samsung).  Now, I'm sure you can imagine Sprint's position on holding off announcements because of the unpredictable paces of the vendors.  That being said, I agree with you that it'd be nice to see start dates before they are presented as a press release from Sprint Corporate.  If you guys are extremely curious about all the details of the project I encourage you to visit this wonderful site:

http://www.s4gru.com/

The people there are passionate about spreading the news of Network Vision.  I too am waiting for Network Vision in Augusta, GA, but for now we must realize that we all made the decision to buy a 4G phone when Sprint is *in the process* of a nationwide roll out

Journeyman

I can totally agree!  I am a loyal Sprint customer, and I have the EVO 4G LTE, and just purchased an iPad 4 with Sprint LTE (no thank you, Verizon), and are REALLY wanting LTE, too!  I live in Jefferson, which is about fifty miles Northwest of Des Moines, and I'm relying solely on the iDEN towers converting to 4G LTE.  I've worked in Carroll for the past few years, and there's Sprint there, but they were the inherited iPCS towers, and God forbid if they actually update them from 1xRTT.  3G is great in Des Moines (sometimes not very well in West Des Moines around Jordan Creek, but in West Glen, it's good.), but I want LTE...AT&T, Verizon, and even T-Mobile's not-so-4G network is in Des Moines! PLEEEEEEASE, Sprint, get on the ball!  We are waiting ever so patiently!  Now, that said, focus on Des Moines and NOT Omaha...no matter what mobile phone companies do in Omaha, Verizon will always win, because Nebraska=Verizon (gag).

P.S. - The two "secret" Wi-Max 4G towers in Des Moines are hanging out at Exit 3 off of I-235 (I can get full WiMax bars with my older EVO 4G inside Wal-Mart over there) and at the East Mixmaster just South of Ankeny.

All,

I greatly appreciate your posts and am just as excited as you are for LTE to rollout in full. When I say the size of the project makes it hard to determine exactly when a certain area will go live, it is all based on the varying degrees of work being done per area. Each municipality has different regulations that must be adhered to when processing these upgrades or, in many cases, new towers. That can cause each area to vary, making it hard to pin point a time or an estimate. We're committed to making this happen as fast as we can and greatly appreciate your patience. Thanks!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I've been told for over 2 years that it's "just around the corner". What's potentially worse is I (and everyone else with a 4G Sprint phone) have paid the extra $10 per phone for the service, aka "Premium Data add-on charge" that doesn't even exist here for this entire time as well.