cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Rooting" your phone. What is the Sprint "official" (who cares) legal stand on it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Rooting" your phone. What is the Sprint "official" (who cares) legal stand on it?

Samsung removed a feature from the Galaxy S3 that was one of 2 reasons I renewed another 2 year agreement with Sprint in the recent update and Sprint is "playing the finger pointing game", the oldest trick in the book for despised "Phone Companies" and is blaming Samsung for it.

My only option, since Sprint won't respond to any of my posts on this forum, or to phone calls to Tech Support, or to "Account Service" regarding it is to look to the "Open Market" of Google/Android  for a modified OS for the phone that includes the features and other recent updates for problems.

The "problem" with this, as I am told is that if I "Root" my phone, I will lose support from Sprint, which as it is requires me to pay $12 per month in addition to over $200 per month I pay already for service.

So my simple question is this: "Is Sprint within their legal rights to refuse me service if I "Root" my phone so to restore a feature they tell me they are too weak, too useless, too powerless to tell the manufacturer customers want and like and are willing to cancel their contract over the loss of the feature.?

4 REPLIES

Re: "Rooting" your phone. What is the Sprint "official" (who cares) legal stand on it?

Rooting your Android device does void your manufacturer's warranty in most cases, it is up to the manufacturer to decide this. Sprint's policy however is that rooted phones are to be triaged/repaired just like unrooted phones. Custom software (ROMs, etc.), however is not covered and Sprint may refuse to service phones running unofficial software. Even if the issue is not related to software, custom software means Sprint will not work on the device.

What feature was removed in a software update that isn't replicated with an app available in the Play Store?

Journeyman

Re: "Rooting" your phone. What is the Sprint "official" (who cares) legal stand on it?

Thanks for the response!!!

Well, I'll have to describe the feature because I've yet to find a name for it in any of Samsung's literature, in manuals, or on their website.

That is a big part of the problem, in my opinion as to why the feature was "silently" added to the phone, then "silently" removed.

Oddly, the timing also overlaps the lawsuit Apple brought against Samsung for "pinch to zoom"

Let's call it "Edge Slide Zoom". It allows for zooming web pages (that have not been forced into mobile mode) and via the stock email client, while holding the phone with just one hand, by sliding one finger along the left or right edge (for either a right or a left handed use) of the screen, and you slide up to zoom in, down to zoom out.

It was a great feature. As I said, I opted to upgrade to the S3, from the S2 because the phone had this feature, and supported a 64 GB MicroSD, but this feature was far more important to me. I use it all day, every day.

I am old, and need to wear reading glasses without the feature, or deal with two handed phone use. I use Swype, and being able to switch to single handed use almost entirely was a big advantage this phone had over the S2, or HTC, or Motorola, or LG, etc. etc. There is no "market" offering.

Comparing the alternatives:

1. pinch to zoom.

Pros: "universally" accepted, because Apple made it famous.

Full control (granular-control) of the level of zoom in/out to the most comfortable level for your eyes.

Works in more "places" than the Samsung Stock Web Browser and Stock Email Client

Cons: Requires holding the phone with 2 hands.

You can't see what you are zooming, while zooming because your fingers are in the way. When reading email, which is when I use the feature most, this is not insignificant.

2. double tap zoom

Pros: Single handed, single finger operation.

Works in more "places" than the Samsung Stock Web Browser and Stock Email Client

Cons: just 2 zoom levels. For me neither are beneficial.

3. tap, tap and hold - slide to zoom. (as in Google Maps)

Full control (granular-control) of the level of zoom in/out to the most comfortable level for your eyes.

Is Google, so will be universal, giving Samsung no advantage, and removing their willy-nilly adding, then removing of the feature.

Cons: can be a bit finicky in the timing of your second tap.

AND: Is not implemented anywhere except Google Maps, from what I can see.

4. "Edge Slide Zoom"

Works in Dolphin Browser also.

Does not block your view with your finger while zooming, so you can easily zoom to just the right level and be reading at the same time.

Cons: Limited to Samsung, and only some of their phones, and to only certain apps/"places"

Users need to retrain their brain that a touchscreen is not a PC, not a Mac, and "scrolling" can be done anywhere on the screen, not just the edge. I admit, before I knew about the feature, I thought it was a "random zoom" bug. But once I realized it was there, I retrained my brain in about 5 minutes. From what I have found on this and other sites, (XDA) this was the main complaint. But since it has been removed, there are far more complaints about its removal than those who were happy it was removed.

The Note II also had it, but it is now removed as of the update last week. On the Note II, there is even a Settings page, One Handed Operation where they could have easily added it as another setting, which could even default to disabled, for people who are unable to retrain their brain that a touchscreen scrolls from everywhere. I pleaded with Samsung starting in February, to do so, as I would have considered upgrading to the Note II to have this feature back. They didn't. I'm on my 3rd Samsung phone in less than 3 years trying to get a phone that will do what it should in terms of the most basic of functions for a "Smart" phone. Synching of Contacts/Email/Calendar and ToDo. Each time they've forced me to upgrade the hardware to get a step closer. I have little to no respect for Samsung and how they directly treat customers.  Perhaps they listen to you, but they certainly treat us like money pits for their hardware.

The S4 does not have it.

This is the only reference to it I've found, and it is obscure, and incomplete in description, at best.

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/galaxy-note-10-1-update

Enhanced User Experience

New features available with the update are optimized for a 10.1" screen.

• Internet: Slide your thumb from the left or right edge to zoom in and out.
Journeyman

The Edge Zoom has been removed from all phones. S II, S III, Note II.

Samsung apparently cannot listen to customer requests, which very simply, for this feature is:

In order to accommodate both those finding the Edge Zoom feature enhances productivity, and those who don't know how to use it, Edge Zoom now has a setting under "One Handed Features" which needs to be enabled (to accommodate those who don't know how to use the highly productive Edge Zoom feature, and don't want to take the 30 seconds to train themselves on how to use it).

In any case, there is a solution:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2253747&highlight=edge+zoom

Per the writer of the Thread:

"Because I love this feature, I port it to every new rom that comes out. It was originally from loserskater. This is slide zoom or edge zoom whichever you prefer, created for Sprint stock touchwiz deodex 4.1.2 MD4 only. It may work for others but i havent tested that at all. Remember to do a backup first."

Journeyman

Very interesting option. Something the amateurs at Samsung needs to learn a lesson from. 

Per the XDA Link:

"Well, it seems Sammy has yet again added another great feature but forgot the option to turn it off! So as usual, we grab our shovels and fix that which is piled before us.

First, we thank Mirko ddd for his patch that allows us the option:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2095845

So as you can see, it's a nice, clean patch and will follow the format of previous toggles I've written about. This tutorial is based upon XXLSJ.

[HOWTO] Making new Edge Zoom feature user-controlled via toggle - xda-developers