cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Sprint TV and Sprint Spot Apps Work with the iPhone XR?

Journeyman

Do the Sprint TV and Sprint Spot Apps Work with the iPhone XR?

On the Sprint TV webpage at https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=tv&catId=service_entertainment... it states Sprint TV only requires “A plan that includes data or data add-on.” A disclaimer on the bottom of the page states:  

“*Not all channels are available with all data packages or phones. Coverage not available everywhere. Sprint TV can now be viewed over Wi-Fi.”

I was able to use the Sprint TV app with my iPhone 7 on the same legacy plan I have had for six years. I upgraded to an iPhone XR on the same plan in October 2018.

1.  Has any iPhone XR user been able to log into and use the Sprint TV or the newer Sprint Spot app?

2.  In the past most of the content in the Sprint TV app was free. Some required a paid subscription. Does all the content now require a charge over and above the data service included in the Sprint universal plans?

3.  Does anyone know what ‘Sprint TV Xtra’ is?

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Do the Sprint TV and Sprint Spot Apps Work with the iPhone XR?

Sprint TV does require a Sprint TV capable device. My main support information on the XR doesn't include this feature, but I can look up the feature by your phone number. I'm going to send you a private message to get your number. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Highlighted
Journeyman

The listings for Sprint TV (left frame below) and Sprint Spot (right frame) in the Apple App Store indicate all iPhones and my iPhone XR are compatible. The only difference was Sprint Spot requires iOS 10 or later. That is why I was asking for a test by another user. 

Would anyone with an iPhone X, XR, XS or XMax running iOS 12 and a normal data plan download one of the apps and play something on it for a sec to see if it works?

SprintTV by Sprint, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sprinttv/id494686127?mt=8

Sprint Spot by Sprint
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sprint-spot/id1242498809?mt=8

C1B39015-5427-4438-BD35-C2D897521147.jpeg

Tags (3)

Hi. If you meet the requirements listed in the app store, your device will load and run the apps in question.

If you are concerned about your device being setup for the correct services on your account, you can check that at Sprint.com or we can help you out in Private Message to take a look at your account settings. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I spent considerable time on the phone, sent screenshots and was given a Support Ticket # 344622181231. After not hearing from anyone for three weeks, I called back. Tech Support looked up the Ticket and said it stated the apps were not compatible with the iPhone XR.

That seems so unlikely, I am trying to get another iPhone X, XR, XS or XMax owner with a normal data plan to test this apps. I have been a Sprint customer for 19 years and have occasionally used the Sprint TV app on my last four iPhones without a problem. I use from a few to several gigs of data monthly.

if you have one of those iPhone models, please download one of the apps and see if you can view any video short. That will confirm whether the Apple App Store info for the apps is incorrect OR whether to Tech Support ticket response was bogus. 

All of the phones you listed should work based off the app requirements of either iOS 8.0 for Sprint TV or iOS 10 for Sprint Spot. I can confirm that both apps run on an iPhone X as I've tested this myself just now on iOS 12.1.2. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Thanks for testing. Guess I need to find time to contact Tech Support and tell them not to close tickets with ‘brush off’ answers.

These were the screenshots preventing me from signing into the apps. The five frames are of Sprint TV. Only the right frame in the bottom pic is Sprint Spot.

When I called TS the first time, the Rep was kind, but knew nothing of the apps or data plan correlation with them. Nothing should have changed on my data plan for the past six years.

Unfortunately, only one webpage on the Sprint site that customers can access mentions Sprint TV, 

https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=tv&catId=service_entertainment... it states Sprint TV

7F9F2531-4213-40FE-A765-A37CCE0BCBC7.jpeg

3E1895BB-9070-433B-9F03-74D5CDEF2A52.jpeg

999D07DB-9E37-410A-A8B7-A4CF53E40982.jpeg

Journeyman

I provided the screenshots earlier in the thread with the Support Ticket submission on 31 December to help the software engineers find the flaw in the apps verification routine. I’ll try to reenergize the Support Ticket and keep the Community advised of any progress. After all, the whole point of forums and community boards is to share problems, solutions, experiences and knowledge. 

It appears the handshake routines of both apps hit a relational database that fails to list all legacy data plans as valid. A second possibility might be that the data signal in this area is somehow masked so the verification routine doesn’t recognize it as Sprint, even though I have a strong LTE signal with WiFi and roaming off.

String TV has traditionally only worked on a Sprint data signal; not WiFi or roaming, though WiFi may work in the latest app versions once a device is logged in. Sprint Spot is relatively new and seems intended to be a replacement for the Sprint TV app at some point. There is no mention of it on the Sprint website. The left frame below is the version history for Sprint Spot. The right frame is for Sprint TV.

More later.

74410BC0-A1CD-4201-B5E7-29BF153FDD85.jpeg

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat