cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Go to solution
Journeyman

Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Hello. 

My phone meets all unlocking requirements except the 50 days of activation because my phone was replaced by Apple Care about a month ago. About a week and a half ago, my husband canceled our Sprint account and started service with a different company. Sprint proceeded with the cancellation and made no mention that my device would not unlocked, resulting in my current situation in which I cannot use my new SIM card but I no longer have Sprint service either.

My husband and I have interacted with phone customer service 3 times, online customer service chat 3 times, and have visited 2 different stores. Most individuals simply stated the policy and said that the phone would not be unlocked, with no recognition that this could be a special case. I have been told at least twice that the phone was actually scheduled for unlocking and to wait 24-36 hours. Each time period passed with either no action, or with an automated email message repeating the policy and stating that the phone would not be unlocked. The most recent time I requested escalation (2 days ago), the agent said that I would be contacted within 24 hours. I gave my email address because I have no phone service. Yet, the next day (yesterday), I received an email stating, "I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to reach you by phone to discuss your account concerns," and to call the general customer service number. I tried to call that number and stated that I was responding to an email message, but had to spend another 15 minutes on the line trying to make the 1st level agent understand the issue. At the very end of the 15 minutes, just after I requested another escalation, she returned saying she found a note that my device was scheduled to be unlocked by 1:10pm today. It is 5:00pm - I have received no email and my phone is still locked.

I am beyond frustrated. Please consider that Apple considers my current device (w/serial #B) to have the same purchase date as my replaced device (w/serial #A) since it was an Apple Care swap. Can Sprint please do the same? If not, can someone with higher authority than a first-level phone or chat agent give me a non-robot final answer instead of stringing me along?

iPhone_Purchase_Date_Apple_My_Support_REDACTED.pngApple considers phone to be purchased in Oct 2016.

43 REPLIES 43
Wizard

Re: Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Good morning @aarroyo. I know you're frustrated about this whole thing. Let me see if I can explain.

1. Even though you have a replacement phone, that phone will inherit the original phones time spent on the Sprint network.
  2. Generally, we don't automatically unlock someones phone when they port out, you have to request it first.
  3. In order for the unlock to be successful, you will have to keep your phone on Wi-Fi, powered on at all times, and have the Sprint sim card in it.
  4. The process to unlock your phone can take up to 48 hours to be completed.
  5. I will need to submit a ticket in order to get your phone unlocked. PM me your name, phone number, 6-10 digit pin, and imei number.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know. I'd be happy to answer them for you.

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

Re: Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Hello @KRow32! Thank you so much for your reply. You're the first Sprint representative that has made me feel like you understand my issue. 

To be clear, this is the statement that is completely new to my saga:

1. Even though you have a replacement phone, that phone will inherit the original phones time spent on the Sprint network.

All the other representatives either just said it will not be unlocked because of the 50-day policy and told me to try another route, or assured me that the unlock request had been submitted only to be followed up with an automated email denial. 

Often, all that is necessary is to make someone feel that they are truly being understood. I don't have a problem with the 50-day policy. I feel that I have a special case, but if I felt that someone truly understood the issue, and had the power to provide me an exemption to the policy, but told me "no," that would be acceptable. It is just sooooooooo frustrating to hit a wall of people who simply tell me the policy (and fail to read the notes thoroughly, causing each call to take an excessively long time) or tell me it is being taken care of when it is not.

Again, thank you for helping me feel understood. I will PM you now!

Journeyman

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Sprint Community agents have restored my faith in Sprint customer service. Put them in charge of the other customer service branches, please!

Specifically, @KRow32@Penguin_, and @QueenK were my superheroes. They worked together seamlessly, picking up the trail of the previous agent without skipping a beat. All knowledgeable, all pleasant and responsive. Kudos all around!!

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I am so happy to hear they were able to get everything taken care of. Smiley Happy As their supervisor this is wonderful to see! 

Journeyman

I’ve contacted sprint and they’re unable to help. I have the same issue. My mobile was replaced under AppleCare but I’d had my prior mobile for over 12 months, and the line open and paid for nearly 18 months. They’re saying it can’t be done. Can you help please? 

Highlighted

@davo90, I can help with the unlock. I just need to pinpoint the time of replacement for reference. I'm going to send you a private message to get started. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently facing this same issue with unlocking my iPhone 8 Plus which I purchased through the apple store as a replacement for my broke iPhone 7 in February. I'm in the military and moving to Japan in a few weeks so I called about turning off my service. In doing so, I also wanted to unlock my device (was unaware it was locked, especially since I bought it) so I could use it once I get to Japan. Well, a few hours after I had a case submitted, I received an email stating my unlock request was denied due to not being on the Sprint Network for at least 50 days. I didn't understand this so I called customer support and was forwarded to the International Department. After talking to a rep from that department, and her supervisor, they both told me there is absolutely nothing they could do and I would have to wait. This is really frustrating because I bought the device myself and I have no option of using the phone that I bought with my own money and didn't lease. Still looking for answers, I used the online chat and talked to someone who said they could forward my case to "management", but there was no guarantee that they would do anything... 

I have my service set up to cancel in the first week of April so my device wouldn't have even been on the Sprint service for 50 days once I leave.

I'm just really frustrated that Sprint would treat their customers this way. I could understand if I just started my service with Sprint but I've been a loyal customer for years. If I knew I wouldn't of been able to able to use the phone that I had to buy as a replacement, I would have cancelled my service in February and went with a different carrier for the time being.

Does anyone have any input on this situation? I realize that the case was forwarded to "management" but I feel as if there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel. I really wouldn't want to have to spend another thousand dollars on a phone just because Sprint doesn't want to let me use my own property. Additionally, these terms were not mentioned when I activated my new phone to begin with.

Thank you for your service. 

I want to verify a crucial point. Did you just go into Apple and buy a new phone? Or was the phone replaced with Sprint Complete, or other coverage?

I understand that you've escalated already. I've pushed the simple question to my supervisor team. Unfortunately, it may be Monday before I get an answer. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Thank you for your quick response.

Unfortunately I stopped paying for the the additional insurance. I went in to get the phone repaired and the cost out-weighed the reward so I purchased a new one with the old one being turned over to Apple. 

I understand that. I know the time from a replacement through insurance is rolled over into the time from the original phone. So that's the question at this point. Does a new purchase start the time over. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

In the event that the time doesn't transfer over, do they ever do exception to policies on a case by case basis? 

Also, in the event they do not unlock my phone, can it still be unlocked after the 50 day mark even if I'm not an active Sprint customer anymore and living in a foreign country?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat