cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Go to solution

Re: Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to answer whether an exception will be made.

Once the line/account is canceled and the phone is no longer active on the Sprint network, the time stops. It would then need to be started over. The only way around that part, is if you have a line on the account that is staying on and you swap the phone onto that line to meet the requirement. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Re: Requesting Exception to 50-Day Active Policy for Unlock + Frustrating Customer Service

Okay, thank you for your valuable time.

You're welcome. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Very similar situation here, very frustrating, after having spent 10 hours on the phone on 5 occasions:

8 days ago: old phone (BYOD) broke. 

7 days ago: bought new Iphone XS Max, full price, "carrier free" at Best Buy.

7 days ago: put in old SIM card, tried to activate, no success, called sprint. They tried, no success, "incompatible SIM", sent out a new SIM.

5 days ago: new SIM arrived. put in new SIM card, tried to activate, no success, called sprint. They tried, no success, "incompatible SIM". I gave up at this point in time.

3 days ago: found out that my new Iphone is locked to Sprint now. Cannot use any other carrier. Called sprint. They said they would unlock, would take up to 48 hours.

1 day ago: phone still locked, cannot use any other carrier. Called sprint. They said they would unlock, would take up to 24 hours.

Today: phone still locked, cannot use any other carrier. Called sprint. They said they can NOT unlock until 50 days active on their network. Best buy phones lock in to the first provider that activates a sim card. Told them that my phone was never activated, which they confirmed, since serial is not on the account. Still locked to sprint now. They won't unlock, they could not activate, my contract has already ended.

I am out of options here and cannot believe how customers are lied at and treated like this. Whom do they think this behavior is in favor for?

Please help.

Hi Batey. I'd be glad to help you check in on things. Were you getting this phone at the same time that you were looking to port out to another carrier? Typically we wouldn't unlock a device if you are staying on Sprint but would review the phone's history against our unlock policy at the time we are notified of needing an unlock for porting to a new carrier. If you're staying with Sprint you should be able to activate and use the phone no problem. Let me know and then we can get some additional information as needed in PM to review further. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Hi OldGreg,

thank you for looking into this.

I had initially planned to activate the new phone with sprint, but after failed 2 tries (existing and new SIM) to activate, I decided to move on to another carrier.

The number was ported out a couple days later, on 3/17.

I will PM you the IMEI of the new phone, which I now want to use with another carrier.

Batey

Journeyman

My phone is still not unlocked. Ticket closed and advised it’s because it should be unlocked. It’s still not been done. Account opened for > 18 months, fully paid off over 3 weeks ago now. Advised phone is unlocked but this is incorrect. Went into store unable to help, said to phone customer care, again.

Journeyman

Hello, 

I am having the same issue.  I purchased an unlocked Iphone XS and activated on Sprint for 1 day and now it's locked.  Sprint reps says I need 50 days before it can be unlocked.

I need this phone to be unlocked at once since I will be traveling overseas next week.

Can you please help.

Hi Nismo! Our policy for domestic unlock requires the phone to be active on the account for a minimum of 50 days if it's been purchased at full price. 

Can you please send us a PM with the following information so we can submit a request for an international unlock of the phone?

1. Phone number on Sprint account

2. Account PIN or Security Question Answer

3. Best contact email address.  We'll send the confirmation of the unlock request to you via email 

4. IMEI of that iPhone XR

5. Dates you'll be travelling.

A ticket was definitely submitted yesterday. We follow up closely with the status of it, as we are notified by email as well with what is going on with your device.  Thank you for your patience.

Journeyman

Exact same problem as the original poster had. Bought the phone in 2017, had insurance replace it in Oct 2017, when I agree that it would become a new device to Sprint’s network, then had Apple Care fix a know problem with it on April 11, 2019 which resulted in a new logic board and serial number/IMEI. Apple still says the purchase date is Oct 2017. Spent 5 hours on the phone yesterday, both at home and inside of a Sprint store so the employees could hear what I was having to deal with from the customer service people. Also spent 3-1/2 hours in a chat yesterday. Was hung up on twice by rude customer service people that didn’t want to give me their information so I could track who I’d been talking to. This was all after 2 hours on the phone three days ago trying to start the unlock process.

All in all I was told it would be 24-48 hours max, 24-72 hours max, 3-8 business days, 30-60 more minutes by a “tech support” person, and then 23 more day by a final person. The last girl I talked to yesterday told me she finally added in the notes that Apple Care changed the IMEI, and that “hopefully” it would help. I want off of the Sprint network for these very reasons. There is no ownership of problems, lack of customer service, and no accountability up or down the chain. Each person would just say that they were going to open a new case like that would make me feel better.

Before getting hung up on by a man who called himself “John” from Manila, Philippines , none of which I believe to be true, I was “guaranteed” by a woman who called herself “Shane” from “Prince, Philippines” (which I don’t believe is a real place)  that in 48 hours the phone would be unlocked. She couldn’t tell me what her guarantee consisted of though, and just sounded like another hollow promise by Sprint. I also found out that “Shane’s” employee number was an interaction number, and not actually an employee number, so yet another lie as well. If any of this wants to be verified, it was at 4:42pm PDT 5/8/2019 that “Shane” guaranteed 48 hours, and shortly after that “John” gave me his info.

Please stop holding my property hostage on your network.

@RedCruzr_Sprintyou’re supposed to be the “Queen if unlocks” please help.

@OldGreg_Sprint@HELPeR_Sprint@InstaAnn_Sprint@Katey88_Sprint7C6CE2A1-9682-46A1-8FB3-697495DEE59D.jpeg

Just realized that in the screenshot that I attached that you can see how bad my network service is too. Only one bar while sitting at home. Another reason why I want to leave Sprint. 

Journeyman

Hi There,

If I am understanding your message correctly, your phone meets all the requirements, except for the 50 days of service, correct? 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat