cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Caller ID Sent

Go to solution
Journeyman

Wrong Caller ID Sent

I am trying to research if using wifi calling or other services causes for a different phone number to be read by other systems? I have several hundred calls that are all from Sprint customers that come across with one of these two phone numbers. When asking the caller what number they are calling from, they provide something different than what displays on CallerID. If you try to call these numbers, you will note they are always busy. Are these numbers part of a pool of virtual numbers used by Sprint for routing calls through these services?

25 REPLIES 25
Wizard

Re: Wrong Caller ID Sent

Neither of those numbers are showing Sprint numbers. Sometimes caller id can be spoofed, and that's what it is sounding like. Here is some info on it. SOLUTION: Caller ID Spoofing - What to do if someone is using your phone number

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Journeyman

Thanks for the response. I am familiar with spoofing but that's not the case for these calls.

I had our ATT Business rep review the numbers and he confirmed they belong to Sprint.

I also talked to some of the callers and they all confirmed they are Sprint customers. Out of all the calls captured, not a single one of them is for another carrier.

I am pretty sure that these callers are using a service that results in these numbers being transmitted by default i.e. wifi calling, plus, caller id blocking etc. When you call an 800 number, you phone number will display even if you have your Caller ID set to block. I am wondering if this is the default value being transmitted. 

When your phone rings and you pick it up does the phone ring on the other end when you answer? The only information we have on this particular issue is Caller ID Spoofing. That's what this sounds like to me as well. The link that was provided from the previous agent, has a link inside it about recent updates from the FCC about Spoofing.

AnnGee77
 Social Care Princess ?

?Lover of Everything Magical ?
Please give glitter coated Kudos and crown thee with Accepted Solutions.
Journeyman

Thank you for trying to help. I am not sure if you read the additional information I provided. I have confirmed these are all valid Sprint customers and that the phone numbers I listed are owned by Sprint. There is no concern with spoofing or masking at this time.

Another poster also confirmed for me that when CallerID Blocking is enabled, it sometimes prevents their phone number from displaying when calling a toll free number. It is my understanding that carriers are required to transmit a valid Caller ID when calling a toll free number or 911 even if their customer has CallerID blocked.

Out of all the hundreds of calls that I have recorded and tracked that come in using these two numbers are from Sprint customers. There are no calls from someone on Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile etc using these numbers so this leads me to believe that it may be an issue isolated to Sprint at this time.

Journeyman

No, these are not incoming dialer calls. These are ACD calls to our PBX.
Journeyman

I realize that you may be using some internal tool to confirm if these numbers are valid Sprint number but wonder if the results that you receive are limited to mobile and POTS.

https://iconectiv.com/fraud-identity/mobileid

https://www.dnc.com/

In case you are not aware, there are two companies that are contracted with the government to confirm issuance of phone numbers. They are primarily used for compliance with regulations such as TCPA and Do Not Call.

Using these services, I confirmed that the two numbers I listed above are in fact owned by Sprint. Moreover, if you dial your support number and enter these numbers are the prompt, they are recognized as valid numbers by your system.

Yes, I have read the previous information. We have entered those phone numbers into our system and they are not coming up as any phone number that we have. If a different phone number appears when someone calls than form the number they are actually calling from, that is called spoofing. Can you provide more information? Are you a sprint customer or a corporate customer? I this your personal line or your business line that is getting the calls?

AnnGee77
 Social Care Princess ?

?Lover of Everything Magical ?
Please give glitter coated Kudos and crown thee with Accepted Solutions.
Journeyman

I responded with a long message to one of the other posters but somehow it did not come through. I believe that the results that you can pull are limited. We are subscribed to a service that is contracted with the US government to confirm phone numbers and carriers. This service is used primarily for TCPA compliance as well as Do Not Call. I confirmed through this service as well as ATT that the two numbers belong to Sprint. If you were to call your support number and enter the numbers, it also recognizes them as valid Sprint numbers.

If you also use any of the carrier lookup tools out there, you will see that everyone of them also confirms these two numbers as belonging to Sprint.

I am not a Sprint customer.

Community Manager

Caller ID is controlled by the Local Exchanged Carrier (LEC) and it could be a problem with the translation of the information we (Sprint) are providing to the LEC.  Any idea when it started?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you so much! I don't know exactly when it happened but I can tell you that I looked back as far as the beginning of the year and I have recordings and records for these two numbers.

Community Manager

OK, we can get a ticket open.  Do you have information like what number is being dialed (your number), what number called your number, and what number displayed.  Also, the date and time of this incorrect displays.  Don't post the info here.  I'm just asking.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat