Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate a used device with bad FED check

Go to solution
Journeyman

Activate a used device with bad FED check

Hi,

I recently won a used iPhone SE on eBay, during auction I checked the IMEI and it came up clean.  After winning I checked IMEI again and stumbled on a Sprint Specific IMEI check which returned a bad FED check. 

What does this mean when I try to activate the device online to replace my existing Sprint iPhone 5c?

I have not received the phone yet and I have been a loyal Sprint customer for 15 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Social Care

Re: Activate a used device with bad FED check

Hello Doswheels, let's take a look into this for you. I have sent you a Private Message, feel free to reply at your earliest convenience.

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Community Manager

I hope Mayorin was able to answer your question, @Doswheels.  For those wondering the same thing, the "FED" check is a Financial Eligibility lock.  If the device fails the FED check, it means that the device is linked to an account with a bad debt, either because the phone itself was never paid off or because the last owner of the phone cancelled their account without paying off their balance.

Unfortunately, we can't activate a device that has a FED lock on it and are prevented from releasing information about the previous account holder.  If you've obtained with this issue, you'll need to work back with party who sold the phone or Ebay.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Thanks for details @seawolf!  Yes @Sprint_Mayorin & @Sprint_Kelvin have been a great help to me with this issue.

The best recommendation I can make if you want to purchase a second hand phone is to purchase from existing phone owner so they can speak to Sprint themselves prior to selling to ensure all debts are paid up.  Once phone is out of owner's hands it will be difficult to resolve financial responsibility.

Thanks again!

Sprint Social Care

You're most welcome @Doswheels! Thanks for being part of the Sprint Family!

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Community Manager

We all like to save money but it's a huge let down when you think you're saving money and instead end up with a shiny brick.  Going through reputable re-sellers, or as you say, purchasing directly from the current Sprint device owner, is one way to avoid this situation. 

Yours is very very good advice @Doswheels and thanks for the kudos to the team.

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

GrandMaster

another good one is to meet the seller at a Sprint store (only works if the seller is local of course). that way prior to money transferring hands it can be checked to make sure its fully clear..if they do not want to do this then there is your red flag to not go through with the purchase.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Hi @seawolf, I did notice during this experience  some carriers provide their own IMEI check website such as the one below.  Is Sprint working on a similar product or is there already an official Sprint IMEI verification out there?

https://www.t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Community Manager

We're working on several things along that line.  Obviously I can't say too terribly much but it would definitely streamline the process.  Similar tools for checking Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU) status also would be very valuable and is on the table for consideration.

SeaWolf

Journeyman

I would like to add that Prepaid devices from Sprint MVNO’s May have a FED marker on the MEID preventing the device being used on Sprint.

By looking on a search engine or maybe one of the sprint MVNOs it is quite easy to check the FED status.

The last thing you want is “Sorry, this phone can’t be activated right now. This device has not reached financial eligibility.” and have a paperweight.
Journeyman

I have an iPhone SE, got it from Virgin Mobile, 2017. It has a bad FED check. Decided not to activate the phone. Now I am interested to activate it with the 0 monthly for 12 months to try out the Sprint network better network ad. I found the receipt in my PayPal account. But no imei or serial printed. Will I be able to activate it?  granted that I have proof of Virgin Mobile purchase

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

To qualify for our BYOD promos, the phone must be a postpaid phone. I can review the IMEI to determine if it's eligible. Please send me the IMEI from the phone in a private message. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat