Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade charges

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgrade charges

So I've been with Sprint for about 18-20 years, never had a problem. Until now. I had the Samsung 9 note, and recently upgraded to the Samsung Note 10+. I waited until the 18 month lease was up on the Note 9 to avoid upgrading fees. The Sprint website, when I upgraded, said I had the phone for 18 months and was eligible for a free upgrade per the Samsung upgrade program. 

I have now had my new Note 10+ for a month, and just looked at my bill. I and being charged over $200 in lease termination fees. I call customer service, and they tell me the charges are because I upgraded my phone after 12 months, instead of the 18 I know it was, AND the website said it was 18 months when I upgraded. I know, because I would check periodically to see how long until I could upgrade and avoid the charge. 

Of course, customer service was NO help, and kept telling me their records vindicated the charge.

I want to say more, but I won't post vulgar language on this board. It is beneath me. It does appear, however, that charging people erroneously and creating revenue at the expense of a 2 decade loyal 

customer are not beneath Sprint.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Since you're sure that you completed the 18 month lease, I can assume the fee assessed on the bill is for the completion of the lease. When the lease is up and you're going to upgrade, you have to decide whether you're sending the phone back or purchasing it. The fee to cancel the lease for these two reasons is the same. If you return the phone, the fee is credited at check in. Since it's $200, it sounds like the purchase price option. Did you send the Note 9 back?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Highlighted

Nowhere in my communications about the upgrade was I told about a fee for upgrading my phone and ending the lease on the Note 9 after 18 months. Yes, I returned the Note 9. Upon calling customer service, they are saying I ended the lease after 12 months, instead of the 18 I know I waited. Either way, I know there is no way I will be able to prove my case, but I will be moving on from Sprint as soon as feasible. A lesson I have learned many times now, no one will be as loyal to me as I am to them. This is the taste that Sprint has left in my mouth. 

Highlighted

I can definitely prove all of this one way or another. I'll just need to review your account. I'm going to send you a private message to get your account information.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat