3. Select the newest upgrade version and click Next
4. Click Start Download > Upgrade Now
  • Note: To schedule a time to install the BlackBerry Device Software,
               click Schedule Upgrade
5. Click Upgrade Now again
6. When the update is done, your phone will reboot and refresh with the
    latest update

*Warning: You will be unable to use the BlackBerry smartphone or make

emergency calls for up to 2 hours during the installation process.

Important Notes:

•   The new software version is 5.0.0.973

•   This update will be available as an OTW (over the wire) download on

approximately 10/26/10.  The download will be available at:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/blackberry_8530.shtml

Message was edited by: dshoem01

3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: 10/20 - Blackberry Curve 8530 Maintenance Release - 5.0.0.973

As per Sprint website

Handheld Software Version 5.0.0.973 for BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone

Installs BlackBerry Handheld Software Version 5.0.0.973 (1596) for the BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone.

This update includes many improvements:

Device provisioning improvements.
Fix for saving contact alert settings.
Media and third party app improvements.
Messaging improvements.

Journeyman

Any reports of front speaker not working after this update? Well, here's one. I updated to 5.0.0.973 a few nights ago. Next morning, I tried to make a call, and could hear no response, though the screen said I was connected. Tried my voice mail, same deal. I took the phone to the local Sprint Store and told them I suspected the update as being the cause of the problem. The tech guy said it's very unlikely an update could cause this. It must be a bad speaker. I paid $35. as a "convienience fee", and they ordered a replacement phone. When I got home, I backed up the phone using the BlackBerry Desktop software. Two days later I went to make the swap, they did a data transfer, and I requested they do a memory wipe on my old phone. Lost all my downloaded programs and data from them. Went home and did the 5.0.0.973 deal on the replacement phone. Same result! no front speaker. When I did a downgrade, back to 5.0.0.654, the speaker came back to life.

Lots of words just to say...I think there is a clitch in the 5.0.0.973

Journeyman

Any reports of front speaker not working after this update? Well, here's one. I updated to 5.0.0.973 a few nights ago. Next morning, I tried to make a call, and could hear  no response, though the screen said I was connected. Tried my voice  mail, same deal. I took the phone to the local Sprint Store and told  them I suspected the update as being the cause of the problem. The tech  guy said it's very unlikely an update could cause this. It must be a bad  speaker. I paid $35. as a "convienience fee", and they ordered a  replacement phone. When I got home, I backed up the phone using the  BlackBerry Desktop software. Two days later I went to make the swap,  they did a data transfer, and I requested they do a memory wipe on my  old phone. Lost all my downloaded programs and data from them. Went home and did the 5.0.0.973 deal on the replacement phone. Same result! no front speaker. When I did a downgrade, back to 5.0.0.654, the speaker came back to life.

Lots of words just to say...I think there is a clitch in the 5.0.0.973

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat