Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8330 TEP replaced by 8530, but not on Everything Data plan

Highlighted
Journeyman

8330 TEP replaced by 8530, but not on Everything Data plan

So I've got a unique question, I think

I currently have a Curve 8330 on a Free & Clear 1000 plan with a BlackBerry data pack.

I just had to file an insurance claim.

Asurion is replacing the 8330 with an 8530 because they no longer have 8330's in stock.

I believe the 8530 requires an Everything Data plan.

Given this 8530 is an insurance replacement for a device that's no longer available (8330), there should be no reason I shouldn't be able to remain on my current plan.  There's absolutely no way I'll be roped into spending more $ on a monthly basis because I had to use the TEP I've been paying $7/mo for, for 10+ years.

Any hints/tips on how I'll be able to get the device activated on my existing plan without having to make a large number of calls to Sprint to try to work this out?

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: 8330 TEP replaced by 8530, but not on Everything Data plan

The 8530 can be activated on the plan you have, It does not require an everything plan. The only phones requiring an everything plan is any of the Instincts, The HTC Hero or the Samsung Moment. When you recieve the new phone you can activate it online from your account page at http://www.sprint.com/activate/

Journeyman

its  fine  I  have a free and clear with a data pack for the blackberry and have an 8530   granted i have to  have mine  exchanged already but  hopefully  the  new one will be  good.

Master

Depending on exactly which Free and Clear plan it is will determine whether you can use it. The 8530 can be activated on the third party retailer employee plans (which include certain Free and Clear plans), but as far as a regular consumer account goes an Everything Data plan would normally be required. The Blackberry 8530 is the first Blackberry to have specific plan requirements like the Instinct line, Palm WebOS devices, and Android devices.

Journeyman

Thanks much, everyone.

Halcyoncmdr - this unfortunately is what gives me heartache.  I really don't see that should I need to change my plan to one that will cost me quite a bit more given my usage patterns (note: I'm already paying for a BB pack), considering I'm getting the phone through TEP.  Any advice on how I may be able to navigate through this process?

Master

adamo010 wrote:

Thanks much, everyone.

Halcyoncmdr - this unfortunately is what gives me heartache.  I really don't see that should I need to change my plan to one that will cost me quite a bit more given my usage patterns (note: I'm already paying for a BB pack), considering I'm getting the phone through TEP.  Any advice on how I may be able to navigate through this process?

Well there are a couple htings you could do. You could request Asurion send you an 8330 instead since that will obviously work with your current setup and you won't have any issues.

Or you could get the 8530 and try to activate it on your current plan and see what happens. If it requires the plan change then you would either have to change your plan or contact Asurion explain what happened and have them send you out a different Blackberry.

Normal consumer accounts can't use the 8530 on other plans. Employee plans however aren't usual and have special coding allowing these types of devices to be used. Unfortunately there isn't an easy direct way of knowing whether that Free and Clear plan is an employee coded one or not without trying it.

Master

Sorry if I gave misinformation, I did not know that it did require an everything plan.

Master

Levi4u wrote:

Sorry if I gave misinformation, I did not know that it did require an everything plan.

It's ok Levi4u, we all were a bit unsure at first as well since it is the first Blackberry with the requirement. I actually went through some back channels to get clarification on it and make sure our training was correct.

Journeyman

Thanks again.  So I called Asurion proactively (mainly because I'm not sure I'll have time to deal with any rigama-roll this week), and no dice on 8330's.  They don't have any in stock.

So guess we'll see what happens.

Journeyman

The 8530 on a Individual type account is going to be next to imposible. BEST recommendation is to call Asurion, you may need to escalate to a supervisor on the call, but attempt to have them send you a BB Tour, based on the fact that the phone they sent you cannot be activated on your plan. I have see asurion do this on multiple occasions.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat