cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically download attachments?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Automatically download attachments?

I have a Tour & it is a real pain to open a mail and then find that it is not all there. Some large attachments take more than one step to download. Is there a way to fix this?

I've seen some references to setting up to auto download on other on BBs. The 9630 manual on BB.com mentions doing this for PGP messages, but we don't have that menu option. (Why is the Sprint user guide so small anyway?)

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Automatically download attachments?

I've heard of automatically downloading images (setting for that is under messages > options > email settings), but not all files.  I think this could be a real problem setting if it was added as sometimes people can email very large files.

Journeyman

I have download images allowed. Images are among the largest files I receive, so I don't understand the bias against other types.

I did not get a phone so (supposedly) powerful , on a network fast enough, with an unlimited data plan, to NOT get the whole content of my email. A better way to deal with the fear of large files is as WinMo does by letting the user set a size limit.

In looking around on this subject I found that the Tour and other BB's do not ship with a PDF viewer. You can view a PDF attached to mail because the BB server turns it into a JPG. This is probably why I thought the BB "viewer" was so bad. If you save the PDF for later viewing, you have to get a third party viewer.

I sent a 2 MB PDF (the Tour manual) and never got it. I sent a 750 kB 75 page PDF and received it. I see I have to push two keys to see a new page.I guess this is because RIM is only serving one page at time, and probably a new serving for every zoom. I fired up my Treo Pro and it quickly got both mails off the server. It shows both files as expected.

I suspect we are looking at low capacity from RIM's servers as much as their concern about our data service costs.

Is there a way to ignore the RIM server and just pull my mail off the other servers?

Journeyman

PS: I just sent a 2 MB JPG and although I have "download images automatically = yes", it looked like it still had to rervieve it, and there is no option to save attachment, only download, and you get the warning about it being a large file.

It looks like "auto dl images" does not work properly.

Journeyman

It has nothing to do with file size limits. It's actually a security measure to prevent a malicious attack on your BlackBerry. Images actually emedded into the email HTML code (usually dividers, "clip art" and corporate logos) will download automatically. Images linked from an external source will require you to go into the menu and manually select "Get Images". OS 5 will require one less step since it allows you to disable the security message when you select "Get Images".

Message was edited by: rhoq

Journeyman

I guess that is their philosophy, but I still hear mention of the costs of downloading, especially from the very screen of my Tour.

At any rate, I'd prefer less security and more utility. If you're really worried about attacks on your phone you need a virus scanner anyway.

Considering how long Sprint took to upgrade the OS on the Curve, do you think ver 5 will be available at all?

Journeyman

jss wrote:

Considering how long Sprint took to upgrade the OS on the Curve, do you think ver 5 will be available at all?

Sprint doesn't have much of a choice. RIM is rumored to be pressuring all carriers to release an OS5 update for all models that can run it before the end of the year.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat