cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Torch 9850 USB charging problems...

Patron

BB Torch 9850 USB charging problems...

Have a just turned one year old BB Torch 9850.  Seems to have acquired a USB malfunction of some sort.  When I plug in the USB, it has some "play" to it like there's a loose connection and it's not charging the battery - although it may be drawing power as an AC apapter as the battery seems steady.  Maybe not.  Probably the USB pulling away from the motherboard.  I dunno.

Contract still has a year to go and at this point a new phone, if I need a new phone, would be costly.  Any remedy to this sort of situation for one who lacks the skills to open 'er up and fix it myself?  Or is there some other problem to this whole thing?  Bad USB and needs to be replaced, software glitch...help!  Pulled the battery several times and got nothin' so this must be hardware related, right?  Bah!

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Wizard

Re: BB Torch 9850 USB charging problems...

JaRoam,

Wow, it sounds like you're having all kinds of issues.  The first thing I would suggest to do with this device is to take it to a Service and Repair Center.  One of our technicians will be able to determine if it is actually detached from the motherboard, or just not establishing a good connection.  If you have Total Equipment Protection and it's a device defect, they may be able to repair and/or replace it.  If that is not an option, you do have the ability to purchase a refurbished device from Sprint.com.  To do so, just click on the shop/phones option and then check the Pre Owned box to filter for refurbished devices. 

Also, you always have the option of purchasing from a third party.  If you do so, however, I would recommend activating the device the same day as the purchase to avoid an issue with the ESN.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if there's anything more that I can do.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Patron

After being ping-ponged from RIM to Sprint (aka Softbank) to RIM then RIM talking to Sprint, I'm pretty well just done with the whole situation.  Phone is almost a year old, no protection/insurance on it, and in my experience, refurbished units suck.  So guess I'll have to suck it up and by a new Torch online and just activate it in place of the old.  Sigh.  Blah.  Woo.

Wizard

JaRoam,

Have you taken to the device to one of our repair centers?  If your issue is repairable, even without TEP, we may just need to charge you a $35 repair fee to resolve your issue.  In any event, please let me know if I can be of further assistance at all.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Patron

From my description and the repair guys' description, I'm/we're pretty confident it's not going to be the $35 option.  Even if it were, it'd still need to be sent out.  So, again, sca-rewed.  So sad.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat