Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB device software 5.0 for Curve 8330?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Got an email this morning saying "BlackBerry software update available: Get the free update to BlackBerry Device Software v5.0 today," noting availability for the Curve 8330.  Going through the steps tells me "to download, simply connect your BlackBerry smartphone to you computer using your USB cable and then click the Update button below." Doing so launches a check for device software updates, which tells me "no BlackBerry device software updates available."  It does identify that I have v4.5.0.186.

So is v5 available for Sprint Curve 8330 devices or not?

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Master

The current software that I have for the Blackberry 8330 shown on the blackberry support site is 5.0  To upgrade to the current 5.0 version  go to www.blackberry.com/update click on updates and follow the instruction on the page.  It will download a plug in to your computer and then instruct you to connect you device to the computer.

Hope this helps

Journeyman

Thanks 14Knight, but if you read my first post you'll see that's exactly what I did.  It identified my current device software correctly, and said "no update availble."

Master

The blackberry 8330 has two different chip sets if you go to Options and status and look at the esn hex number  if it is eight digits with numbers and letters you have the old chip set. If it starts with the letter A10000xxxxxxxx  it is the new chipset.  The other possibiltiy as this has just been release is that the our system may no be supporting it   the software on our site is  4.5.0.186   This may change in the future  you can check by going to sprint.com/downloads  selecting the blackberry 8330 and see what our current software is

Sorry for misunderstanding the post.  Are software page usually shows what blackberry's does

Journeyman

I also received the e-mail stating there was an update to OS 5.0 available for my Curve 8330m.  I followed the update instructions and had the identical outcome as Altizer11.  Checking on the device page on the Sprint website does not show the OS 5.0 as available.  Is there any more information about this update available?

Journeyman

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330.  I just tried to update and the exact thing happened to me.  It says no updates for blackberry device. 

Journeyman

Same problem here.

Journeyman

Later today I got this reply from Sprint.  Looks like Curve 8330 users are out of luck:

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you have received an update regarding the update to software version v5 from Blackberry. This software has been launched by Blackberry. However, Sprint has not launched this software for Blackberry 8330.

This software is currently unavailable with Sprint. So, whenever Sprint will launch the software v5 for Blackberry 8330, it will be available for update. 

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Adriana S.

Sprint

Journeyman

Thank you for checking on this as I was excited that I'd have some new functions on my 8330, but alas - we are blackberry dinosaurs. Sprint and the other companies are so busy promoting their "new" blackberry phones, they've simply forgotten and written us off. It's a shame though in this dog eat dog world, some simple attention to the customer base they already have would pay off wonders.

Tired of seeing Dan Hesse on TV talking about how Sprint is doing small yet simple things to make customer's cell phone experience better. Stop talking about it and faking it and DO IT.

Journeyman

So, will Sprint launch the software v5 for Blackberry 8330?

Journeyman

Read the answer above from Sprint, then read between the lines: Curve 8330 is old technology and so is BB OSv5. If Sprint hasn't released v5 for 8330 by now, with BB OSv6 currently available and v7 already announced and expected this summer, why would they? How much work would you put in to rolling out and supporting an obsolescent version to compete with your new products? The bottom line is if you want a new BBOS, get a new phone that supports it.

(This is yet another example of the frustrating disconnect between phone manufacturers, software developers, and carriers that customize both hardware and software to differentiate their versions of commodity products.)

Journeyman

Agreed. the ONLY thing keeping me with Sprint is my unlimited plan with my employee discount. Otheriwse I'd be LONG GONE. Hopeing for the Blackberry Torch or the Blackberry Bold Touch (looks like Sprint might get the latter before the former).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat