cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB10 will NOT sync natively with Outlook

Journeyman

BB10 will NOT sync natively with Outlook

Be aware everyone, I've been investigating this and it has been a discussion item on Blackberry's Website that the new BB10 devices will no longer sync with Outlook via USB Cable. BB Desktop Manager is replaced with Blackberry Link, and it does not provide anyway to synchronize with Outlook. Many who had purchased this new device are very frustrated with this issued and some are returning it for another device. For my Business it is imperative that my Device continue to provide this functionality that I've come to depend on so the work I've done in Outlook is available on the device when I leave my office. Why BB would downgrade their newest devices is beyond me but that's what we're left with. SPRINT - when you finally do get these devices (likely after everyone else does if history repeats itself) I'm guessing you will have many unhappy previous Blackberry users when they find out the BB10 is now just another Smart-"Toy" like every one else. Companion Link / Deja Office has stated they will support BB10 in the near future, but then why limit yourself to a BB? So if you use your device for actually getting things done and you've been waiting for the new BB as I have, you're going to be very disappointed. I've launched a couple of posts on the Blackberry Discussion Board (User name "JLFitzpatrick") and have tried to keep posting on them to keep these on the top of the list so BB will consider correcting this monumental blunder. Someone on Crackberry mentioned the BB10 will sync with Outlook.com BUT that service does not seem to replicate the Outlook program and from what I can tell the Categoriesfield that I rely on every day are not included. Another user also replied that the Categories field may no longer used in the BB10 device. So since someone mentioned posting on the provider's website as well - here it is.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: BB10 will NOT sync natively with Outlook

Try office 365 outlook program its free for 30 days...

ZinMan wrote:

Be aware everyone, I've been investigating this and it has been a discussion item on Blackberry's Website that the new BB10 devices will no longer sync with Outlook via USB Cable. BB Desktop Manager is replaced with Blackberry Link, and it does not provide anyway to synchronize with Outlook. Many who had purchased this new device are very frustrated with this issued and some are returning it for another device. For my Business it is imperative that my Device continue to provide this functionality that I've come to depend on so the work I've done in Outlook is available on the device when I leave my office. Why BB would downgrade their newest devices is beyond me but that's what we're left with. SPRINT - when you finally do get these devices (likely after everyone else does if history repeats itself) I'm guessing you will have many unhappy previous Blackberry users when they find out the BB10 is now just another Smart-"Toy" like every one else. Companion Link / Deja Office has stated they will support BB10 in the near future, but then why limit yourself to a BB? So if you use your device for actually getting things done and you've been waiting for the new BB as I have, you're going to be very disappointed. I've launched a couple of posts on the Blackberry Discussion Board (User name "JLFitzpatrick") and have tried to keep posting on them to keep these on the top of the list so BB will consider correcting this monumental blunder. Someone on Crackberry mentioned the BB10 will sync with Outlook.com BUT that service does not seem to replicate the Outlook program and from what I can tell the Categoriesfield that I rely on every day are not included. Another user also replied that the Categories field may no longer used in the BB10 device. So since someone mentioned posting on the provider's website as well - here it is.

Journeyman

Try office 365 outlook program its free for 30 days...

ZinMan wrote:

Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestion, although I prefer to keep my Outlook data local this may be an option if I did decide to upgrade to a BB10 in the future. However when I just researched Office 365 I see there have been issues syncing Calendar entries on the new BB10: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-Synchronization/Calendar-sync-over-Office-365-Cloud-ad...  Bottom line for me is that I have come to depend on syncing locally to my Work Laptop without any additional cost or time needed to setup something new so the BB10 dropping that ability is a big disappointment for me. If I had the problems these IT Guys are mentioning in the discussion above I'd be lost and not have what I need on the device. I use Outlook locally and organize everything with Categories so while I tried GMail sync for a while it doesn't map the Category field (which someoene on the BB Forum mentioned the new BB10 may not eiether). So if I entered a Contact in GMail I'd have to enter the Category on the device, not a big deal but it meant that if I couldn't remember a name and needed to filter the Contacts by project to find someone (which happens daily) I could only search a contact on the BB. So I dropped GMail sync and ported the GMail account to Outlook and just use a USB Cable, it's much easier for me that way and I have the advantage of organizing my work in Outlook since GMail is far too basic. So now I am either looking at getting an older model BB Bold which I am familar with but is behind the technology curve, or an Android since the new BB10 would force me to use a third party app to continue to Sync with Outlook anyway (likely would use DejaOffice with DejaConnect). In comparison to the BB10 which isn't available yet anyway the Galaxy Note II is looking pretty good to me right now. I prefer physical keys but the larger screen may be helpful since I have adult size hands and am not a 12 year old girl which is what the iPhone seems to have been designed for and I'm guessing the Z10 may be similar given its size. The Pen and its associated Apps may also be a plus for me in my business. So after 10 years I may finally be saying bye to the Blackberry. Feel bad for them, but they should have looked at ways to make the improvements they did without sacraficing the functions we've come to depend on. Or at least have an OTA solution finalized and completely implemented and advertised up front so we'd know what our options are without having to search for it ourselves.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat