cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry 8830 problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

BlackBerry 8830 problem

I'm on my 4th (yes 4th) BB8830 and I'm getting really upset now. Everything with the phone works flawlessly except for the data. If I start to use the BB Maps or the BB Browser, after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) I get a message saying that I don't have any network coverage. If I check the home page, my 1XEV icon is gone and the service status says:
Voice Service:
Emergency Only
BlackBerry Internet Service:
Not Connected
The only way to fix this is to either toggle the Moble network, reboot the phone with ALT, SHIFT, DEL, or pull the battery. It happens multple times a day. I had a ticket opened with my P2K account that sat for over three weeks and I had it, returned the phone and went to Verizon. Their BB8830 worked flawlessly and the data downloaded even FASTER. Well their 9pm nights and weekends did it for me, so I went back to Sprint. Had to get a new account since I called one day after my cycle ended and my account was locked. The new 8830 still has the same problems. I have a new ticket opened and I received a call today asking "Does your browser appear on the device?" Why YES IT DOES! It's when I use the data, the phone junks out. She stated something about contacting RIM (We'll see about this one) and she hung up. This was over four hours ago. I called the local stores today that are authorized repair facilities and they told me they don't work with BB's and gave me the number to RIM. I'm not paying $50 to RIM to diagnose a problem on a phone that is less than a week old. What is the point of the TEP if the store wont even look at the phone? I'm starting to feel like a really valued customer. I'm tired of playing the ##786 game, wiping the phone and reinstalling the software, having the BB Vision package removed and then readded. I'm at my breaking point. I have two friends with 8830's one on Verizon and one Alltel, they work perfectly fine. Why doesn't mine?!?!
I had to spend 52 minutes on the phone earlier just to get a return shipping package for the Mogul I started back off with. I won't waste everyones time with that horrid excuse for a phone. Why is it the more you pay for a phone, the more that doesn't work with it?

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

You should call Retentions and speak with them about this issue. I am on my 3rd 8830 & I keep having similar issues. I am supposed to be getting a Mogul tomorrow so I will let you know what happens. Good luck with your issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NO NO NO NO NO TO THE MOGUL! NO NO NO NO!! I just sent it back for the BB8830. Cancel the order. Get rid of the Mogul. Trust me, you'll thank me and learn to deal with the data problem just a little more.....
Retentions has already been delt with on multiple occasions. It is why I left for the week and 1/2 and went to Verizon. Their pricing and 9pm nights and weekends (along with 1k in ETF with Sprint) took me back. I had them send the Mogul. What a bluetooth nightmare. The phone is slow, it lags, it requires reboots frequently, just a peice of junk. I recommend reviewing http://forum.ppcgeeks.com and http://forum.xda-developers.com in regards to the Titan/6800/Mogul. Everyone and their mother is sending that phone back. If you're dependant upon it for business, you'll NEVER "Release your inner mogul" since the other people will never be able to hear you or get in touch with you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a similar problem with the BB 7130e. In under a year, they had to replace it 3 times and it still drops calls like crazy automatically restarts when the GPS is active.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad to hear I am not the only person not only having problems with my BlackBerry, but problems getting anything done even though I have TEP.
Let me know if you figure anything out, I paid the full$550 for my 8830, I'm not paying another penny to have it fixed/replaced just so it will work as advertised.
-Charlie

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe the problem lies in the Sprint ROM (not the OS) but the actual programming. I have friends who have this phone on Altel and Verizon and do not have the network drop issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, this is a known issue but location helps. Where are you in a general sense, nothing smaller than a Major Metro area please? We are seeing this in certain areas only. Mostly in the South East.
Thanks,
Jon at Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem with my 8830 and it seems that there's nothing i can do about it. I'm located in northern california, sf bay area if that helps at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm pretty sure that I have the same problem with my Pearl....Although it doesnt happen as much as it does for you, it has popped up a few times saying that I am not in data coverage area...looking on other forums it seems that this is indeed an issue that Sprint and Blackberry needs to address...hang in there and I completely agree with the idea of not getting a Mogul...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Happens here too. Here is zip 27284 - North Carolina, Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. It does happen much less since I've done two things switched to the VZW version of the OS and last week I got the latest PRL (60611).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, So Sprint is working on the issue. I am testing with a BB830 currently with SW v4.2.2.176 and PRL v60610.
I replicated the issue once in the KC area. It was the second day I had the device, and it was about 10pm on a Friday. Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate it since. It required a battery pull to get the device to reacquire the EVDO network.

I have since forced the phone to loose coverage by placing it in microwaves, driving to areas without service etc, each time the phone regains service without any issues. This is a fustrating issue to solve but we are working on it.

Some instances of users downloading large amounts of data and then loosing data coverage are a result of a RIM bug. It involves the company using thier own data stack and not Qualcom's. These are different issues and both are being investigated. Yeah I know sounds like a typical response, but there are engineers researching and attempting to solve it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the update. Just hearing that it is actively being investigated is a big relief. I'm just lucky that I was able to setup both my SMS & BB email addresses in the paging system at my company, so that I'll get the pages no matter if I've lost data coverage or not.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat