cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry 8830 problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

BlackBerry 8830 problem

I'm on my 4th (yes 4th) BB8830 and I'm getting really upset now. Everything with the phone works flawlessly except for the data. If I start to use the BB Maps or the BB Browser, after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) I get a message saying that I don't have any network coverage. If I check the home page, my 1XEV icon is gone and the service status says:
Voice Service:
Emergency Only
BlackBerry Internet Service:
Not Connected
The only way to fix this is to either toggle the Moble network, reboot the phone with ALT, SHIFT, DEL, or pull the battery. It happens multple times a day. I had a ticket opened with my P2K account that sat for over three weeks and I had it, returned the phone and went to Verizon. Their BB8830 worked flawlessly and the data downloaded even FASTER. Well their 9pm nights and weekends did it for me, so I went back to Sprint. Had to get a new account since I called one day after my cycle ended and my account was locked. The new 8830 still has the same problems. I have a new ticket opened and I received a call today asking "Does your browser appear on the device?" Why YES IT DOES! It's when I use the data, the phone junks out. She stated something about contacting RIM (We'll see about this one) and she hung up. This was over four hours ago. I called the local stores today that are authorized repair facilities and they told me they don't work with BB's and gave me the number to RIM. I'm not paying $50 to RIM to diagnose a problem on a phone that is less than a week old. What is the point of the TEP if the store wont even look at the phone? I'm starting to feel like a really valued customer. I'm tired of playing the ##786 game, wiping the phone and reinstalling the software, having the BB Vision package removed and then readded. I'm at my breaking point. I have two friends with 8830's one on Verizon and one Alltel, they work perfectly fine. Why doesn't mine?!?!
I had to spend 52 minutes on the phone earlier just to get a return shipping package for the Mogul I started back off with. I won't waste everyones time with that horrid excuse for a phone. Why is it the more you pay for a phone, the more that doesn't work with it?

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint and RIM have isolated this issue to some bad code in the phone. RIM is releasing a patch for testing by Sprint this week. Once tested it will be out to the public. I am not sure of all the details yet, but this will be fixed soon. I would expect the patch in the next week or 2. Once it is released I will post the info on how to get it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is the best blackberry news I've read in quite some time!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great news!!! Thanks for keeping us updated...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any word on the fix for this issue, I have to reboot my phone every day. I'm in KC also.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Jon... the 2 week mark has been hit. Any updates from RIM or Sprint on letting the users get a hold of the fix?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Soon. I don't have exact dates yet. Once I am told its released I will post instructions on how to get it here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok... not that it'll speed them up, but let them know that we're chomping at the bit to get our hands on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the problem arise more often lately.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope the fix comes really soon. I just got my first 8830 in the beginning of the month and have had to pull the battery at least once each day to regain data communication. I've called support a number of times and they keep thinking that re-building my account will fix it, but it doesn't. I've also exchanged the phone once so I'm now on my 2nd 8830 and it does the same thing. I have until this next Sunday to deside if I'm going to stick it out or return the 8830, get my money back, and move to a different carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess I should feel very very lucky. I picked up the 8830 from a Sprint store (unfortunately at full price because I'm impatient), but it has performed beautifully, with no issues at all to date. Hope I'm not jinxing myself. 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I'm glad to see that someone within the companies (Sprint/RIM) realized there is a problem with the phone. Shocked that it took this long for the problem to be considered as an actual issue, but the fix as posted earlier is in the works. I guess the part that bothers me is that I addressed this with the level two tech, but no one ever wanted to patch me through to RIM or even address this with them. I've sent the event logs, screenshots, etc. Now when you say a "fix" is in the works, are we looking at a 4.2.2.xxx update or will this be addressed with the 4.5 software revision?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bump. Why does is it always seem like I have to follow up w/ Sprint everytime I have an issue?

Message Edited by tavella on 03-05-2008 09:55 PM

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat