cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry 8830 problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

BlackBerry 8830 problem

I'm on my 4th (yes 4th) BB8830 and I'm getting really upset now. Everything with the phone works flawlessly except for the data. If I start to use the BB Maps or the BB Browser, after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) I get a message saying that I don't have any network coverage. If I check the home page, my 1XEV icon is gone and the service status says:
Voice Service:
Emergency Only
BlackBerry Internet Service:
Not Connected
The only way to fix this is to either toggle the Moble network, reboot the phone with ALT, SHIFT, DEL, or pull the battery. It happens multple times a day. I had a ticket opened with my P2K account that sat for over three weeks and I had it, returned the phone and went to Verizon. Their BB8830 worked flawlessly and the data downloaded even FASTER. Well their 9pm nights and weekends did it for me, so I went back to Sprint. Had to get a new account since I called one day after my cycle ended and my account was locked. The new 8830 still has the same problems. I have a new ticket opened and I received a call today asking "Does your browser appear on the device?" Why YES IT DOES! It's when I use the data, the phone junks out. She stated something about contacting RIM (We'll see about this one) and she hung up. This was over four hours ago. I called the local stores today that are authorized repair facilities and they told me they don't work with BB's and gave me the number to RIM. I'm not paying $50 to RIM to diagnose a problem on a phone that is less than a week old. What is the point of the TEP if the store wont even look at the phone? I'm starting to feel like a really valued customer. I'm tired of playing the ##786 game, wiping the phone and reinstalling the software, having the BB Vision package removed and then readded. I'm at my breaking point. I have two friends with 8830's one on Verizon and one Alltel, they work perfectly fine. Why doesn't mine?!?!
I had to spend 52 minutes on the phone earlier just to get a return shipping package for the Mogul I started back off with. I won't waste everyones time with that horrid excuse for a phone. Why is it the more you pay for a phone, the more that doesn't work with it?

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

20 days and no response from JonNTAC even after sending a PM. Where is this improvement in customer service that we've been promised? Any chance I can get an update Jon? I've been dealing with this problem for quite a while and it's getting old. Obviously, we know you have the problem, you said that you've had contact with RIM (which is further than your company will allow me to get without paying $50) and still no updates? Your message states a few weeks. Is this another "Mogul" type update? I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic but you could at least provide a follow-up even if there is no update.
I already know that the problem has not been fixed with 4.2.2.196, so can you at least provide some information if this will be addressed with 4.3/4.5 (whatever RIM decides to call it)? If you don't have the answer, could you do some internal networking and try to get an answer for us? Trust me, I'm not alone with this problem. I own two 8830's and they both have the same problem. A little accountability goes along way with customer retention.

Message Edited by tavella on 03-25-2008 10:50 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I always had this problem with my Pearl, but it's been A LOT more frequent lately. Hopefully we can get some word on the update.

-VDubb

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, we were reminded of the problems with releasing information on these forums. As a result I haven't been on this forum as much. Sprintusers is a good one I like to frequent.

Ok, so the 4.2.2.196 is not a Sprint realease so it won't address this issue. Unfortunately I am not in the group testing this, and they tend to not release much information about it. We had several issues with various devices and the the 8830 was the last one to come in so it is the last one to be resolved. Last I heard is that it was in the Lab being tested and it required more through testing.

I am listening for news of the release and once it is published I will put the link here and in other forums.

I wish we could make it go faster, but Sprint cannot control the work of RIM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

<div></div><div>the Update has been available at Sprint.com/downloads under blackberry for awhile now! I just got the BB8830 and had the same issue called tech support and they directed me there and now my phone stay on 1XEV all the time! :)</div><br><br>Message Edited by BBUser on <span class="date_text">03-28-2008</span> <span class="time_text">08:37 PM</span>

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, 4.2.2.176.... Problem still exists. Give it a day or two. I do know that Alltel has pushed 4.2.2.196 now and the problem still exists there. I believe that my question was answered and the problem has no immediate fix. I guess we sit and wait for 4.5 and cross our fingers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called sprint blackberry support today and they don't know when the new software is comming out to fix this, this is starting to upset me. They need to fix this.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

The new sprint os that came out last week (4.2.2.365/4.2.2.196) seems to have fixed this problem for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got tired of waiting for a fix so I bought a 8330 Curve.Phones works great. Minor issues compared to the 8830. Sprint Navigation still needs an overhaul. Just took another trip to NC and the 8830 and 8330 both kept receiving "No GPS" while going up 95 from Florida to NC. I used my Garmin Mobile 10 GPS puck and never lost the GPS once. I did notice that the application platform is now 3.0.0.85 so the fix for the data drop may actually be fixed. Alltel and Bell have 3.0.0.81 as their platform. Fingers crossed.

Message Edited by tavella on 05-26-2008 01:02 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is unique - I work for a service provider and am plagued by the 1xev from our customer base...daily...

My latest is the killer: I have 2 - 8830's side by side; identical in every respect from the OS on down...

1 chronically drops to 1xev

the other, sitting next to it does not...

The only thing I haven't done to the network is pack my SFP's with Milk of Magnesia (considering it though) - anyone heard any more possible solutions from Rim or another carrier find a solution...?

Thanx!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat