cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Curve: Battery? Charger? Phone? Luck?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me start off by saying that I have been with sprint since I got my first phone as a teenager. Back when everybody was walking around with the nextels. For the last few years I have had a Blackberry Curve. There were 5 phones on the account, since it was a family plan, and sprint always took care of us. The curve would mess up/freeze up and sprint would quickly repair or replace the phone. However I recently started my own account with sprint to expand the family and such. About 6 months ago the Curve I had wouldn't charge so I took it in for a repair and they discovered that the micro-usb port used for charging was malfunctioning therefore they replaced my phone in a few days free of charge. Well this amazing "refurbished" phone they replaced it with has done nothing but went down hill since. The main issue other than the large amount of dropped calls, has something to do with the power of the phone. It will go from an almost dead battery to a fully charger battery in roughly 30 minutes, Then a fully charged battery last between 3-5 hours until its dead. And within those hours it constantly cuts off and power cycles (where it cuts off, turns back on and goes to a blackberry loading screen). And something when it comes out of a power cycle a fully charged battery will be showing it is dead. So I took it in for warranty work under the TEP plan that I pay each month for and they ran diagnostic test and could find nothing wrong with it. They did a hard/master reset and said that the problem should have been resolved. The next day the problem continued. I have taken it back multiple times and have been told: 1. There seems to be nothing wrong with the phone. 2. The battery is defective. 3. The charger you are using is defective. Well I must say since the problem does seem to be a power problem that would be a great conclusion to come up with. However, I have purchased approximately 10 batteries to use, ranging from the OEM batteries to "better, and longer lasting" batteries from radioshack. (sprint did give me a credit for one battery, Thanks Sprint!) And everytime I put a perfectly good battery in my phone it'll work fine for a day than after a day or two, the back cover doesn't fit correctly anymore? When you take the cover off, I realized the battery has swollen up. Not one, not two, but about ten batteries. (Which are not cheap, between $45-$55 a piece) I then turned to the charger and replaced it with the charger my mother used on her BB Curve, which she had no problems with, before upgrading to the EVO. And the problem continued. I have contacted sprint many times and they have offered me another "Refurbished" BB Curve (H*** No!), and a few other phones of which the reviews online describe to be full of problems. I am eligible for an upgrade in a few months so everyone I talk to at sprint says just get another BB and wait. I'm tired of waiting. Customer Care is unable to help me replace with a better phone because I have not had my phone replaced 3 times in the last 6 months? So when I ask them to look at how many times I have taken it in for repairs, they are unable. "Because the store I took it too (Where I opened my sprint account and bought a phone), is not a Corporate Repair Store? So I take it to the Corporate repair store, and wait an hour to be helped. They then say they have to run a diagnostic test on my phone? Again?!?!?!  And it will take two hours, so they will call me when they are done? How are they going to call me when they have my cellular phone? So I sit there and wait. While sitting there a lady comes in and one of the workers yell "Hey Mom!" and runs and hugs her. No harm done. Until her mother tells the manager on duty, Hey I got this Blackberry (I think it was a BB Bold but I'm not sure) and the screen is too small. So the manager told her to choose any phone and he would get it for her. She then told him that she wasn't available for an upgrade and that she didn't want to pay alot of money. They walked around the sales floor and she ended up getting the new PHOTON with alot of accessories. He was able to give her the phone for free and than I believe she received 25% off all the accessories. I need a daughter that works at sprints.... Well by this time the guy finally comes out with my phone and says that nothing came up on the diagnostic test. He said it was my battery because he placed a brand new one in and it worked fine without cutting off. So I told him that I have used alot of batteries and I currently had 3 spare batteries in my pocket and showed him those. He then said well it must be your charger, I guess? I said nope, I've changed that multiple times. So he asked is it the right charger? If sprint sent the right charger with the 5 BB Curves that my family had then it is the right charger. So he told me I needed to buy a new battery??? AGAIN?!?!?! After explaining the situation for 30 minutes, he put in for me to get a wonderful "Refurbished BB Curve" but than stated that this wouldn't solve my problem, since he believed it was a bad battery or charger. If sprint made one bad battery or bad charger, it would be understandable. Two bad would be understandable. But close to ten batteries and five chargers? Either Sprint needs to terminate the engineers, who designed the batteries and chargers, and hire new people to redesign them or I've got the worst luck ever. How Lucky Are You?

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Ugh.  I'm having the same issue with my BB Curve.  NOT looking forward to dealing with this today.  =(

Journeyman

I am having the same issues with my BB Curve but sprint lied to me stating they would pay for the battery and then when I went to the store thinking that the credit I was promised would be on my account the customer service rep told me there was no record of this. I pay insurance every month and hey told me my insurance doest cover batteries, a battery is an accessory. Its nice to know they replaced your battery I guess its an acessorry for some and for others its part of your insurance. I asked them to send me a refurbished phone and they said no.

Could Sprint be selling defective phones so all there customers mover on to touch screens....hmmmm... Interesting!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat