Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Curve Modem Not Available with Simply Everything!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Blackberry Curve Modem Not Available with Simply Everything!

The "manual" I was referring to is the Sprint website. I'll refrain from metaphor in the future.

As far as where I found the information, I found the information about PAM on the Sprint website and called the rep and added it to my services the next day. Not sure why your CSR couldn't find it, but a quick question here in the forums usually gets an answer in a day or two, tops. I also visit a couple of other device specific websites to keep up to date on some things that employees tend not to discuss openly.

I'm a bit of a propeller head and a recent Treo convert, so I may go a little overboard hunting some of this stuff down. In any case if you can't find it on the Sprint website, give it a try here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey zen, which Treo did you get? If it was the 800 how do you like it, and how does it compair to the BB8330?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry glocky, I am a convert FROM the Treo TO the Blackberry. I love my Curve and would sooner go without a mobile device than switch back to a Treo or pick up an iPhone, for that matter. I actually was considering upgrading to the 755 from my trusty 650, but went into a holding pattern when I heard the 800 was about to hit the streets. As I kept checking back for the appearance of the 800 on the website, the Curve caught my eye. I started doing a little digging and the Berry really held up well when compared to the 800. I decided to make the switch and haven't looked back.

There's been a bit of a learning curve (no pun intended) in getting used to how to manage some of the same things that I did with the Treo, but those issues happen even when upgrading phones from the same vendor.

Give me the new OS so that I can read HTML emails without buying an application and adjust the system so that I have MMS like on my Treo and I'd be quite the happy camper.

Sprint user since 2001...3 phones, 2 broadband cards, 1 happy family!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a Curve 8330 and I have Sprint Everything plan. I can use the phone as a modem and use it with Cable or USB. Bill stays the same. Using or not using.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just use it as a modem!

Sprint's system can't tell the difference. That's why they can't add it to the bill. They have no way of clocking your usage, so they just tell you it's not available and hope you don't try. I have used my phone as a modem, and tethered my phone for direct 3g connection to the internet, for the past 6 months and my bill never changes.

Since the phone does not report if you are tethered, the only two ways they could tell are both illegal, either by capturing your data packets and inspecting them to see if the phone is capable of using that type of service, and in most cases, they wouldn't even be able to tell then, and the other, when you are using it as a modem, would be an illegal wire tap, to see if it is a modem connection, and I hear there are some soft modem programs available to let you send and recieve faxes from the BB and windows smart phones, so they really couldn't prove it then either. If they ever tried to claim you did something wrong you could sue because there is no legal way for them to find out. Them simply accusing you proved they did something illegal and with all the programs that run on these phones these days, they could never prove you did something not included in your contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hopefully now that you just made it public hopefully they don't block it and mess everyone's freebie lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

They can't do that we paid for the service. I use mine just try not to be overload in your kbs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no you don't pay for tethering on the SE plans you paid for data usage on the phone. using it the way you're is a freebie. PAM is $15 extra but since SE is not compatible they can't charge you for it so you're getting it free.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@dnvrdude81 wrote:
hopefully now that you just made it public hopefully they don't block it and mess everyone's freebie lol

Well, the main point of my post is that since the current version of the phone does not report to sprint it's tethered status, they have no legal way of telling, so the only way to block it would be with a firmware upgrade that does do this, or by cutting off your network connection completely on the phone, which would kind of defeat the purpose of a blackberry.

I'm sure sprint, and lots of other carriers since I used to do this on AT&T too, are begging phone manufacturers to include a feature that reports the tethered status to the network every time data or a call is initiated, so that they can block it, but until a major firmware upgrade or a new phone comes out that supports this for them, they really can't legally do anything to block it because as I said, warrentless wiretaps are the only way for them to find out.

And I'm sure that when the phones do start supporting this, people will find out and word will spread quickly. That's probably why the manufacturers haven't started including it. Eventually, all phones will have it, but the first few that do it will be avoided like the plague for the most part, so until there are no alternatives, including this in a new phone will be the death of a model.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr wrote:
They may not charge you for it, but at the same time you are not paying for the service, so technically you would be stealing it...

It is like modding a cable box to get the pay channels without paying... except you don't have to do any modding to the phone in some cases, you just have to know how to do it right.

I have to disagree with you there, for a very simple reason -

PAM costs the carrier, not just sprint but any carrier, nothing above and beyond the service I already pay for. The phone is capable of pulling all the same kinds of data on it's own that I pull with my computer, and making all the same kinds of calls including faxes (gotta find that software), so when they charge me 15 extra a month for pam, they are kind of ripping me off. I paid for that ability in the increased cost of the phone, when I could have gotten a free one instead of paying hundreds of dollars.

It's not like modding a cable box at all. I have made no modifications to this phone at all, it works out of the box. And in fact, on my pc, I don't even have to do any setup, sprint's software does it for me. So if the cable company gives you those channels, even on accident, did you steal from them? If the cable company gives you them on purpose, because they don't have a way to block them, but asks you not to look, are you stealing when you do watch them?

Besides, the cable companies have to pay extra to carry those channels. That's why they turn around and charge you for them. This costs sprint nothing extra, at least on a blackberry, because my phone can already pull the exact same kind of data, just on a smaller screen. I could see, maybe, if I had a non-smart phone, that couldn't do anything but make phone calls and get mms, that I might be costing sprint more than they anticipated when signing me up if I tether. Even then, I would still be paying the same ammount as a smart phone user, so I might make an argument to that effect. But in the current situation, especially since many people are actually willing to pay for it and sprint's billing system just won't let them put the add on to their account, I don't see how you could really say it is stealing at all.

Highlighted
Master

They may not charge you for it, but at the same time you are not paying for the service, so technically you would be stealing it...

It is like modding a cable box to get the pay channels without paying... except you don't have to do any modding to the phone in some cases, you just have to know how to do it right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's the same way with Windows mobile feature called internet sharing, mogul and touch both use to do it without a PAM plan on the account after that new ROM both have been disabled and now you're required to add the PAM plan. Sprint can do it. They're entittled to stop your stealing of their service lol

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat