cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Tour International GPS usage possible?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Blackberry Tour International GPS usage possible?

Hello All

Does anybody know if the BB Tours GPS is working during roaming internationaly with GSM?

The BB 8830 which I have today is not able to use the GPS chip while in GSM mode.

Regards

Highc

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Blackberry Tour International GPS usage possible?

I do apologize for any inconvenience, however my information states,

GPS find location will only work in the United States.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact International Support.

The link to chat is on the right.

Journeyman

Just an update, my post was a bit incorrect.  Sprint Navigation will only work in the US, however the GPS service should function world wide on the Tour and 8830.

Journeyman

Hello glimmer,

my BB8830 in GSM mode has no GPS source to chose.

It looks like the GPS chip is part of the CDMA radio and off if the GSM radio is on.

I have not found a way to use the GPS chip in GSM mode.

regards highc

Journeyman

highc wrote:

Hello glimmer,

my BB8830 in GSM mode has no GPS source to chose.

It looks like the GPS chip is part of the CDMA radio and off if the GSM radio is on.

I have not found a way to use the GPS chip in GSM mode.

regards highc

The 8830 chipset, is limited to operation while in CDMA mode only.  When in GSM the GPS chipset is not available.

The 9630 is capable of making a GPS fix anywhere it can receive GPS satellite signals whether set to either GSM or CDMA modes.  The auto select mode would be sufficient.

In North America it is able to achieve an extremely fast "assisted" start by using data provided by the cell towers to determine location.  Outside of the North America it performs a cold start if the assist data is not available, however it will establish a fix to determine location.  Once established further fixes are near instantaneous.

Journeyman

Hello All

GPS works outside the US while in GSM mode.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat