cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I access my sprint.blackberry e-mail via Sprint's website

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can I access my sprint.blackberry e-mail via Sprint's website

There are times when I'm online and would like to check my Sprint blackberry e-mail. Is it only available from the phone?  If so, how?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can I access my sprint.blackberry e-mail via Sprint's website

The sprint blackberry email is only available through the device itself.  No online version exists at this time.  Myself, I have my yahoo account set up to be delivered to my BB and really do not use the sprint.blackberry.net email for anything except for specific items for business.  This way it [the blackberry address] is less likely to find its way onto a spammers address list, and I have online access to emails via pc and the yahoo account when I need it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can I access my sprint.blackberry e-mail via Sprint's website

It used to be a feature, RIMM hosts those servers and rebrands them for the carrier and until about 2006 - 2007 their success was forcing them to consider the high quality problem of replicating a big chunk of the worlds email.

Along with privacy concerns of influential enterprise customers including low level govt agencies who despised the ability of the server to duplicate email even if they don't ask for it.  The WhiteHouse and crucial agencies host their own version of the servers inside their own networks and have enough influence and dough to compel RIMM to do so.

Before RIMM Canada shelved the ability, they experimented with just "portaling" to your inbox, at first they replicated messages fromthe email accounts you provided logon info for and they started reinvigorating the hard drive industry in the process. The users loved the feature since most webmail sites are blocked at corporate firewalls but blackberry.com is nevery blocked and could be used to circumvent that proxy that also keeps you from visiting youtube at brunch.

The challenges of portaling just shifted the burden from drive storage to CPU throttling since they had to take varying web pages and styles and reformat to their standard format everytime the user refreshed the page or modified their mail spool and this was quickly deemed impossible and the BETA testers hated it anyway since it was sloooow and imperfect.

I know this because I was a consultant at RIMM at the time and tackling those issues as a migration project with subproj's.

The challenges of accessing "prohibited" email are still solved with "HTTP Proxy's" (use that term with quotes when searching from google to find free and fee based services who allow you logon to their web site and they'll access the web on your behalf and typically using SSL.

the connection to the proxy uses your firewall like anyother web site and the SSL protects your connection from being monitored by your company.

The drawbacks are those URL's eventuall end up on the lists of prohibited web sites just like adult sites and you  have to be diligent about the new server name updates  if you want to stay connected.

Those URL's are logged and depending on your employers culture, they may take a dim view and fire you for it since it is clearly the deliberate circumvention of security policy and you'd have a hard time justifying your necessity to use an HTTP proxy to read your virus infested Yahoo mail.

If you're versed, you can determine if your FW blocks outbound remote console protocols such as ICA, RDP or even VNC< if you can use those then you could adjust your home network and connect to your home PC from the office and read your email as if you were sitting at home.... again this activity is detecable and a savvy admin or the admin you yelled at like an end user could spned a few hours to determine what you're doing and take action.

I don't mind suggesting ways to pierce firewalls because Blackberry Desktop Mgr is the goliath of antifirewall policy,,,, it has numerous methods and will systematically test every one until it works to burrow in and out of your network and company email. Even the OWC and last resort if it has no alternative will visit lists of regularly changing server names at RIMM and fake domains RIMM registered to stay off the proxy lists and enables their users to read company email from non company BB's and companies that have no idea what BES is !

When the guys manager finds out his staffer is using the phone he paid for out of his own pocket to read email 24 hours a day, the manger wants to give the guy a medal and the IT guy wants to throw him head first.... thankfully IT guys don't run the world.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat