cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can any lawyers answer a question?

Journeyman

Can any lawyers answer a question?

Could a lawyer tell me if there is a case here, before I go pay one to ask the same questions?

Sprint has promissed us Multimedia Messaging, lists it as a feature on many of their devices, and runs national advertising spots that have MMS featured.

What we actually get is not MMS. Not one blackberry user ever RECIEVES mms. We recieve text messages telling us to go to a website to view a picture that sprint intercepted and put in a potentially compromisable place on the internet. In fact, I believe this is the case for anyone who does not have a special made picture mail client on their phone. Even that is not MMS, MMS is a standard and picture mail is proprietary. You can also send pictures through email but just because I recive an email with a picture in it does not mean I have recieved an MMS.

I have gathered up many print, video, and web advertisements where Sprint actually uses the term "MMS" and "Multimedia Messaging" instead of "Picture Mail", including brochures from their own stores and screen captures from their own website.

I believe this is a case of false advertising, and I would like to investigate the possibility of a class actoin suit on those grounds. Since sprint has refused to answer any of our questions about if this is what we are stuck with, I'm guessing that it is, and they have decided it should be good enough so they will ignore us from here on out. MMS capabilities were a deciding factor in my choice of phone, I was lied to in the store and then led on for 5 months until I could get half of what I wanted.

Is there anything sprint customers can do to force sprint to do whats right or pay us for decieving us?

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Can any lawyers answer a question?

I'm not a lawyer, but in the ads they don't specifically say a Sprint Blackberry can send mms. Maybe you have different materials from Sprint, but all the ones I have seen just say Sprint phones can send and receivemms, which is true. Just the Curve and Pearl can't receive true mms.

Journeyman

@maximyus wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but in the ads they don't specifically say a Sprint Blackberry can send mms. Maybe you have different materials from Sprint, but all the ones I have seen just say Sprint phones can send and receivemms, which is true. Just the Curve and Pearl can't receive true mms.

As far as I know, no Sprint (not nextel) phone recieves true mms. Some Sprint phones have a "Picture Mail" client that runs directly on the phone, and retrieves the image from the pic mail server for you, and this client takes the place of the phones native MMS viewer so that no one knows the difference, but you are still not recieving MMS.

Sprint has told us as much anyway. Their network is not set up to send MMS directly to the phone. If their network is even capable of sending MMS to the phones at this time, why delay the 4.5 release trying to get picmail to work when people were actually breaking contracts to get away from sprint over it? Why continue to stick us with Pic Mail despite the fact that no one can come up with a valid reason why it is useful? They have to pay Verisign for pic mail. In their financial situation, if they were running both types of servers right now, why not make pic mail a "Premium Service" to defray that cost and let the people that don't want it have true MMS?

The answer is they can't. Because every time they have said or printed "MMS" or "Multimedia Messaging", it has been a lie. Their network is not capable of delivering true MMS to the phone right now, hence the claim for false advertising.

Journeyman

I don't know anyone who has a Sprint phone anymore to test it out Smiley Sad everyone left them but me.

I thought the Instinct could do MMS, or is it a Picture Mail application? I was also under the impression that the "cheap" phones could do it, like for example the Katana Eclipse X

Which says in the full feature list:

"Text, Pic and Video Messaging

Tell your story to friends and family with text, pictures and video taken in the moment. Send messages to other phones, email addresses and more all from your phone"

Some of them say:

"Sprint Picture MailSM

Shoot and share your digital photos instantly."

But I have never seen anything that says MMS

Journeyman

God, people get so worked up over dumb stuff around here...

The service works fantastic, its incredibly less expensive than competing companies, and they are working hard to keep the customers that actually pay their bills on time.

Highlighted
Patron

Exactly. If you're not happy with what you have, then just leave. I am tired of reading all of this complaining here. I come to the forums to read about new releases, hardware, etc. I have to search through all of these complaints. I am surprised that people aren't complaining about 4.5 still. I am sure some of youpople have found issues that they are not happy with. Sprint is the only service I have ever had that would allow any type of MMS/Pic Mail. I guess I am ok since I don't really know any better except for the complaints of some people here. If you are so worried aboutpeople hacking into your pic mail account on the web, don't send any pics that you would worry about people finding and posting on the internet. I have read stories about peoples phones being hacked and their personal information and content beng put on the internet. When someone sends you an MMS message, that message is stored on your phone. Are you going to rasie hell with RIM when that happens to yours or anyones phone for that matter?

Journeyman

@04Taco wrote:
Exactly. If you're not happy with what you have, then just leave. I am tired of reading all of this complaining here. I come to the forums to read about new releases, hardware, etc. I have to search through all of these complaints. I am surprised that people aren't complaining about 4.5 still. I am sure some of youpople have found issues that they are not happy with. Sprint is the only service I have ever had that would allow any type of MMS/Pic Mail. I guess I am ok since I don't really know any better except for the complaints of some people here. If you are so worried aboutpeople hacking into your pic mail account on the web, don't send any pics that you would worry about people finding and posting on the internet. I have read stories about peoples phones being hacked and their personal information and content beng put on the internet. When someone sends you an MMS message, that message is stored on your phone. Are you going to rasie hell with RIM when that happens to yours or anyones phone for that matter?

1. This is the wrong place to look for information about new releases. There is a whole forum on this site for announcements, so if you don't like hearing about complaints, go there instead.

2. I actually have not found anything wrong with 4.5, that's why I'm not complaining about it.

3. You are not in a position to call our complaints invalid, or even understand them, if you have never had MMS capability from another provider. You must have never been with anyone else but sprint, or only had very crappy devices, if this is the case. Every single other carrier that you can go to, at least in my area, offers true MMS.

4. I use MMS for work. I send and recieve pictures of server and router racks, internals of machines, and other similar things, and I need to do this for work. Some of this may contain security sensitive information, and there is absolutely no reason that sprint should be intercepting this information and putting it up on the web.

5. Usually that happens in the case of a stolen phone. I've not heard of anyone actually getting their phone directly hacked, except for a few "Proof of concept" hacks done at security conferences that involve bluetooth. If someone is going to phisically steal something from you, that can't be helped. No mater what you use, phone, computer, or real paper, it is vulnerable to that if you are not being careful with your information. But your phone is as safe as paper in your pocket as long as you turn bluetooth off when you are not using it, which you should do anyway just for your battery life. The other cases of hacking all involve websites like the pic mail site, go check those reports again. Sidekick customers from Tmobile get a similar website that can be hacked, that has all the phone'f information, not jsut mms, but text and phone book as well, and that has been some of the most high profile hacks. If anything, without knowing it, you've proven my point. Forcing people to have their personal information on the web is a mistake.

Journeyman

@04Taco wrote:

This is my first post on these forums, being a frequent reader .. and I fully agree with you. Much of these forums are a breeding ground for complaints vs. discussions on how to solve problems. Some of the complaints are valid, but the frequency of the same posters (e.g. the minority) documenting the same complaints over and over is over the top.

Being a Sprint customer since 1997, I find Sprint's wireless service top notch .. absolutely the best bargain amongst all U.S. wireless providers. That said, their customer service has a ways to go .. I cannot see that their tele, eCare, or chat reps have been consistently trained or are being monitored appropriately to ensure high quality. I also believe they need to improve on the service provided on the forums. On one hand I applaud the fact that they're running these forums (as they should be, as the goal of them should be to reduce the costs that would be incurred had we all been calling customer service with our questions), I actually believe they need to INCREASE moderation .. to a) provide 'roadmap'-type responses to many of these inquiries, and b) to not censor the complaints, but to cut off some of the users who truly offer minimal value by complaining about the same topics many times regardless of Sprint's responses.</p>

Journeyman

@adamo010 wrote:
I actually believe they need to INCREASE moderation .. to a) provide 'roadmap'-type responses to many of these inquiries, and b) to not censor the complaints, but to cut off some of the users who truly offer minimal value by complaining about the same topics many times regardless of Sprint's responses.

I find that interesting and this will probably get modded as someone will think it to be flaming or inciting an argument, but I just honestly have a question.

You can call me the "minority" since myself along with a couple others are the most vocal about issues we may have with the service, or lack of, depending on the service and who you speak with.

Your first point is to have Sprint increase their presence here to help out users, but in your last point you want us, the minority, cut off for asking the same questions to which we never get a response that is satisfactory. That is what I have a question about. What exactly should they do? Silence those who want answers, or just point them in the direction of where the answer should be which is what those that have a problem are asking for in the first place is answers.

Be it here, or calling in to TS or CS, or even trying to get in touch with those higher up, this is what you SHOULD do when you are having a problem with a service you are paying for, or feel you should be getting other than what you signed up for. Get in touch, through any number of medium to answer your question or concern, be it a forum, e-mail, CS chat, phone call, letter etc. Should Sprint just throw out letters from people who write them on a constant basis looking for answers to a problem and never get a response on it?

I am one of the ones who would wish to see true MMS coming and going from our Blackberry, other phones can do it, other Blackberry devices on every other carrier can do it, why not ours? This is a very legitimate and valid question to which no one that has asked why we can't has EVER gotten a straight answer from Sprint as to why we have to use Picture Mail.

I have been quiet on here for the most part since we got the 4.5 and I was one of the ones complaining about it the most, guess what? When we got the 4.5, it worked and it has worked fine for me since, I have never had a problem with my service, my plan, or my pricing, and have said on more than one occaision that I feel the CS has gotten better over the years. Is there still a ways to go for the CS to get even better? Yes, but are they working on it also? I have to say yes they are.

Journeyman

@adamo010 wrote:

@04Taco wrote:

This is my first post on these forums, being a frequent reader .. and I fully agree with you. Much of these forums are a breeding ground for complaints vs. discussions on how to solve problems. Some of the complaints are valid, but the frequency of the same posters (e.g. the minority) documenting the same complaints over and over is over the top.

Being a Sprint customer since 1997, I find Sprint's wireless service top notch .. absolutely the best bargain amongst all U.S. wireless providers. That said, their customer service has a ways to go .. I cannot see that their tele, eCare, or chat reps have been consistently trained or are being monitored appropriately to ensure high quality. I also believe they need to improve on the service provided on the forums. On one hand I applaud the fact that they're running these forums (as they should be, as the goal of them should be to reduce the costs that would be incurred had we all been calling customer service with our questions), I actually believe they need to INCREASE moderation .. to a) provide 'roadmap'-type responses to many of these inquiries, and b) to not censor the complaints, but to cut off some of the users who truly offer minimal value by complaining about the same topics many times regardless of Sprint's responses.

Actually - the moderators have chosen to ignore the problem (and these threads) instead of providing with an answer. This tells me that Sprint has no intention of providing us with true MMS.

Wizard

Hi rhoq -

I am not ignoring the issue.

The reason I haven't posted to this thread is because I have posted a number of times throughout this board that I post the information I get as soon as I get it. I passed this and all the other MMS threads on to the appropriate group.  That's all I can do.

Journeyman

@SarahKS wrote:

The reason I haven't posted to this thread is because I have posted a number of times throughout this board that I post the information I get as soon as I get it. I passed this and all the other MMS threads on to the appropriate group. That's all I can do.

I never think you, or any of the other admins, are ignoring us. I believe you are passing it on to other people up the chain.

But judging solely from the reactions we get from Sprint as a company, I'm pretty sure 90% of the time they just delete the email or shred the memo.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat