cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve as a modem

Journeyman

Curve as a modem

How do you set-up the Curve as a modem. I looked on the Sprint site and found nothing to download, I even downloaded 8830 software to see if it would work. As you guessed nothing happened with that, please help.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Curve as a modem

eargazm94 wrote:

How do you set-up the Curve as a modem. I looked on the Sprint site and found nothing to download, I even downloaded 8830 software to see if it would work. As you guessed nothing happened with that, please help.

Hello Eargazm94,

In order to use your Blackberry Curve as a modem, you will need to add the feature to your account which is 15.00 to add on if you have the 30.00 blackberry data plan. Once you do this, you will be able to use the software to connect your phone to your laptop as a modem. If you have any questions or want more information about the phone as a modem plans, you can pm me and I would be happy to assist you.

Sabbyknows

"Silence is Golden"

Journeyman

Ok, I got the 1st part what's next? Please

Journeyman

Go to sprint.com/download. From there, you choose your operating system, click on the summit button, then choose the proper connection manager software to download. For the Blackberry, you'll need the first software that is 37MB. How is the Blackberry 8330? I'm seriously thinking about getting an 8330, even they're hard to find. I just go a Mogul and am highly disapointed in the phone for using it as phone as a modem. Activesync keepsactivating when I have it de-activated on the phone and that keeps kicking me off the internet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I checked with Sprint, just last week, about this very thing, and was cautioned by the Rep I was talking to on the phone, that since I have the Simply Everything Plan, there is NO option for using the phone as modem. I explained to her that I had downloaded the software to make it work, on my 8130 Pearl, and checked to see if it indeed worked, and it did. She immediately read the policy of Sprint, about using the phone as modem, without having an active plan, and cautioned me that I could lose the total data plan, even on the blackberry, if I used the phone as a modem. So I would watch what I was doing, as far as using it. Best thing to do in my opinion is to call them, to make sure.

Journeyman

Chas227, I was told when I first purchased my BlackBerry Pearl (June 3, 2008) and purchased the Simply Everywhere Plan with free everything to include the BlackBerry program, that the Pearl could be used as a modem. Now they are saying no and also that it isn't available with the aforementioned plan. Does yours still work as a modem? My email address is and cell number is . I would appreciate a call or email to know if the people at Sprint I've been talking to know what they are supposed to. I am beginning to believe "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" and they really don't know their job. It's sad that one employee tells you one thing and the other tells you a entirely different thing.

[Please do not share personal information, such as your e-mail address or phone number in this community. Thank you! Raine]

Message Edited by Raine on 08-21-2008 09:53 AM

Journeyman

I've installed the desktop manager and sprint smartview. I can connect my Curve and it shows a signal, but when I try to connect, I get the following message:

"An external connection is already present, connecting is not allowed."

The computer is undocked, all wireless radios turned off. I have no idea what connection it is picking up. Sprint BlackBerry technical support was of no help; just told me this is happening with some of the 8330s and there isn't a solution. It's a driver issue in the computer.

Operating Windows XP.

Anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Journeyman

I just installed the software and used my 8330 for pam. I have Vista. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The whole installation process took a very long time and there were times I was afraid it had "hung up" because screens would just sit forever without moving along to the next phase but wouldn't look like anything was happening.... but I just held my breath and didn't cancel anything although I thought I might as well, and finally I got the final message that it was installed successfully.

Patron

When I had the pearl I was on the Simply Everything 450 (I think thats what it was) and I had PAM added successfully. You might want to talk to another rep but then again that was early in the year.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat