cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my Blackberry 8330 to set up work e-mail?

Journeyman

How can I get my Blackberry 8330 to set up work e-mail?

I was given a "downgrade" re-furbished phone after I bought a brand new phone.  The only reason I bought the data service plan was to retrieve work e-mail.  The blackberry was from a Sprint "supervisor" in their corporate office.  I told him about my dillemma and he sent me the old Blackberry.  Now, I'm being told that I need to pay an additional $20/per month to get onto my work's Exchange Server.  I already bought the data pack to have this.  I work with several people who have Blackberry's and they don't have to pay extra.

Does anyone know how to set this up? I know my works OWA address and have all the information I need, but it still won't work.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: How can I get my Blackberry 8330 to set up work e-mail?

It depends. Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) costs extra on some data plans. You would have to check with your company to see if they offer BES with your work email. Some only have ActiveSync (used on most other smartphones) or they may have another 3rd party solution for BlackBerry devices.

I would ask your IT department if they support Blackberry devices and if they require BES or use some other service.

Journeyman

Thanks, but I already asked my I.T. department (we use an outside company) and they can't figure it out either.

Highlighted
Wizard

They can't figure out if they support BlackBerry devices or if they use BES or another service?

Journeyman

Hi,

I talked to my I.T. guy today and he said that we do not use a BES.  He was able to bring up my e-mail account and send/receive on his HTC, so I don't know why I can't get it to work on my Blackberry.

Wizard

HTC devices can't use BES - so if he brought it up on an HTC, it was probably an ActiveSync connection. You cannot connect a BlackBerry to an ActiveSync connection, it requires special software on the company mail server to support BlackBerry Enterprise messaging.

If you have BES, then you need to have him provide you with a BES ID and password. Then you would go into Enterprise Activation (under Settings (wrench icon) then Advanced) and enter the ID and password there.

But from what you have described, and the responses from IT - I would say you probably don't have BES. If you did, he would know about enterprise activation and have instructions for you on how to activate it.

If that's the case, the only way to get your Exchange mail onto a BlackBerry would be to use a the BB desktop redirector. You would have to leave your computer running with this software because as you get an email into your outlook, it forwards that message to an account that your BB device can access.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/12617/Desktop_Redirector_BES_660182_11.jsp

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat