cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No MMS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No MMS?

I know the 4.5 update was supposed to add the ability to send and receive MMS.  I even see all indications that my Curve is MMS ready (options for a different ringtone for MMS vs SMS, ect.).  So, why am I getting an SMS with a link to go on the web to view it?

What's the point of having all the options for receiving MMS when you don't actually get an MMS???  Am I the only one that sees this as particularly asinine?

I use my BB to view the web a lot but I don't want to be forced to so I can view a picture that a family member sends me.  Why did I spend more buying a BB versus a regular phone that i could view MMS as soon as I open the message?  Why am I having to pay so much more a month for service with a BB when all I can get is a text with a link to a web page (which, by the way, takes an act of God to save the media to the BB)?

After a long conversation with tech support, they told me that half the 4.5 software update that went out was able to receive MMS messages the way they should be viewed (you know, the way every other wireless customers receive them), half would receive the SMS with the text.  I was informed that I could go to the nearest Sprint store and have the the software "flashed" and would fix the problem.  I drove the 40 miles to the nearest Sprint store just to have their service technician look at me like I was an idiot for even dreaming that my $570.00 Blackberry smartphone would do such a miraculous feat.  I have several friends and co-workers with the Curve that are on plans with Alltel and AT&T.  They receive actual MMS messages.  I wonder how they do it!  I've never bothered to ask any of them but I'm pretty sure they aren't paying as much per month as I am for my inferior MMS capabilities.

Bottom line...

1.  Obviously, fix the MMS issue!

2.  Get your tech support people and your service techs at the very least, in the same book.  They do need to be on the same page, though.

3.  Improve coverage areas and add more Sprint stores (not just Radio Shacks).

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No MMS?

This is a  sprint picture mail thing that has been like this since existance I have friends with oldeer phones IE: the LG Fusic and  they  get the  same types of links in order to view pictures so it is not just the blackberry .  As far as  adding more sprint stores sure except  that 1 sprint is  laying peopl off  and 2 most of the sprint stores in  NY where I live at least theppl   dont  try their best to help you  which is  sad because even I dont know  everything about every phone or about the  blackberry I own.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife had the Fusic and she never had to click a link to view an MMS.  The 2 other phones I've had with Sprint over the last 6 years also didn't have to click a link to view them.  The latest was the Samsung Blade.

We didn't have this problem until I spent a truckload of money buying my BB and the "really awesome plan" that the Sprint rep said I needed for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sounds to me  like  maybe the blackberry isnt the right phone for you  honestly. I am  saying this  because you  are not liking the idea of the  links and 2. you  are not  liking the plan and  as stated before evry company requires a data plan for  blackberries and PDA's. In any event if I can be of assistance please let me  know .

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds to me like you are 0 for 2.  I love my BB and everything it does for me.  What I don't like is Sprint charging more than the other carriers for the required data plan for the BB, then making it so we can't receive an actual MMS.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you aren't a BB owner or you would feel the same way.  If I wanted some cheap phone that the only thing it could do for me is receive MMS, I would have bought one.  And if the people at the Sprint store would have told me that my BB would not receive them, I would have looked into a different phone or carrier.

Anything else I can clear up for you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually I have an 8330 however  at 69.99  for sprints everything  450 with anymobile it  is  cheaper then  at&t  for what  u get   on att  you would  have a plan like this

Voice (450Mins)- $39.99

BB Personal -$30

Unlimited text $20

Total -$89.99 Before  taxes

As far as the MMS / Picture mail it is  kind of anoying to  get them as a link i do  agree there however I  doubt  sprint  will channge that  anytime soon. I do  like being able to  log in online and save pics in an album that were sent to  my phone  so that Is a plus  . For now it  is  what it is  I dont  do very much MMS  and it  doesnt make or  break my day if ya know  what i  mean.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually I have an 8330 however  at 69.99  for sprints everything  450 with anymobile

Looks like I got hosed right from the start, then.  The rep that sold me my BB and my wife's rant told me I had to get the everything data plan (or something like that) with 1500 minutes so my BB would be all it could be.  Both lines together are around $170 for the plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How about some more constructive responses huh? Your data share plan saves you money friend. A data share plan is basically two of the basic 69.99 plan. Normally you'd be charged 140 for both right? With a data share plan you get both for 129.99 and you also get more minutes. So, you're saving more. Sprint's plans are untouchable.

As for the curve not receiving MMS, it sounds like the update didn't fully kick in. Did you do the update via your computer, or just the wireless update? If you did by the computer, I recommend you backing your content up to your computer and make arrangements to visit a repair store (also plan on leaving your phone there for at least an hour). Repair stores tend to be more busy so I also recommend making a schedule at sprint.com/readynow.  If you did a wireless update, I'd go to blackberry.com and download the update there. Plug your Curve into your PC and download it directly from your computer. (You can also use your BB cd to acquire updates).

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you even read my last post?  The plan the Sprint rep said I needed...wound up being $170 a month for the two lines, NOT $140.

As for the update, I did the update 3 times.  Once wireless, once from the BB website, and once at the Sprint store.  After the last update, the Sprint service tech that did it informed me the BB was unable to receive anything but a SMS with a link even though the tech support person I talked to on the phone told me otherwise.

Are ya picking up a little why I'm not real happy?  Newsflash....if ya take a look around on the forums, I'm not the only one.  Maybe you'll get a better response from one of them when you tell them that they aren't paying as much for their plan as they actually are.  Or even when you imply that they are so incompetant that they wouldn't think to try doing the update more than one time or one particular way.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I never suggested incompetency sir. I'm simply trying to assist you with your issues. And if it's 170 for two lines then there's something wrong. Even more so if you only have 1500 minutes. Maybe with the 3000 minute plan you'd have a bill for around maybe 170. In order to hit 170 you'd have to have 4 lines on the 1500 minute plan which is a fantastic price. It comes out to  42.50 each. If you're paying 170 for two lines with 1500 minutes, you need to talk to an in store rep or call *2 from your phone.

And that technician you talked to in the store was incorrect. You can receive MMS on BB Curves. Since you know BBs pretty well, have you done a hard reset to wipe everything off your phone and then doing the upgrade? I'd appreciate it if you keep the responses less heated and civil, otherwise I'm not going to attempt to resolve the issue for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I fully intend to talk to Sprint tomorrow about my bill, because I've been paying that since January.

About the wipe...the tech at the Sprint store was supposed to be doing that while I sat, waiting in the store, for 2 hours.  After he finally got done messing with it, he told me that he was on the phone with RIM and Sprint's tech support and both said that Sprint's BB's can only receive SMS with a link.  Like I said, this was all after a tech support person on the phone told me otherwise.

I think you're finally seeing why I'm just a bit miffed, though.  I buy a high-priced "smartphone" that comes close to being able to split an atom, but it can't receive an actual MMS, only an SMS with a link.  I know the Curves are capable of receiving them.  I have friends that own them with AT&T and Altell and they get their's without clicking any links, so I know its possible.  I'm just completely bewildered why Sprint would take a fantastic phone and screw it up like that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand your frustrations. As for the bill, you can change your plan at any time without a change in contract. It's the Right Plan Promise.

As for the BB, the tech should have done a hard reset. I'm not aware of your entire situation, or what the tech did or did not do. If he did the hard reset and updated the software (which if you waited for 2 hours it's likely he did), then that means that wasn't what's causing the issue. I talked to my friend who's a tech and he said it possible could be how your account is set up. Or I thought of a possibility that it's from the phone you're receiving it from. If the phone sends it in a format that the BB cannot process the image, and sets it up as a link which converts the image which the BB can view. The issue is finding the source of the problem. After that, it'll be easy to know what to do next.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat