cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS 4.7.1.(57?) update available for Sprint Tour

Highlighted
Journeyman

OS 4.7.1.(57?) update available for Sprint Tour

Just got an email at 6:11PM EDT saying an update was available for my Tour.  Others have reported that it's version 4.7.1.57, but I haven't verified that yet.  We'll see if this update is the real thing.   Good luck!

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: OS 4.7.1.(57?) update available for Sprint Tour

Make sure u have another phone around when u upgrade. I had to re-activate my phone with the new SW. Thanks to some great CS, I was up and running in no time. Thank you Sprint!

Semper Fi

Journeyman

Even though I had OS 5.0.0.230 on my phone, I thought I'd look at 4.7.1.57, mostly because there are a few apps that don't work with version 5 yet - Sprint Nav (although a generic TeleNav version does work), Google Maps, and Pandora (it stops playing every song with about 20 seconds to go unless you pause and restart).  But mostly, about 8PM the last couple of nights, I'd get a message saying the network was updating my preferred network list, and the phone would hang up.  The other night I let it go until 6AM the next morning with no change.  It needed an alt/rightshift/del reboot to recover.

So, last night, I decided to take the plunge.  I used BBSAK (BB Swiss Army Knife) to totally wipe the phone clean (not even an operating system left).  Then I used the desktop manager and it found the OS online and updated it automatically to 4.7.1.57.  The phone automatically activated, provisioned, the whole bit.  I didn't even have to resend the service books to get my email icons.

So far, so good.  All the apps above now work.  I'm waiting for tonight to see about updating the preferred network list.  This OS version seems very stable, but I will say that it appears much slower than version 5.  I do miss some of the options in OS5, so as soon as that is released officially, I recommend everyone get it.

Journeyman

Re: OS 4.7.1.57 update available for Sprint Tour

OS 4.7.1.57 is now officially released by RIM as of about 6PM EDT, although I guess not officially released by Sprint.  It is on the download site at:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Since it hasn't been endorsed by Sprint, install at your own peril.

Master

GlennJ wrote:

OS 4.7.1.57 is now officially released by RIM as of about 6PM EDT, although I guess not officially released by Sprint.  It is on the download site at:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Since it hasn't been endorsed by Sprint, install at your own peril.

Usually it is available at RIM's site before being uploaded to the Sprint site and announced. That's how it was for the 8330 and 8130 updates to OS 4.5 as well I believe.

Journeyman

When I woke up this morning, there was a brand new icon on my Tour, and clicking it indicated that the 4.7.1.57 update was available on my phone as a wireless update.  I downloaded the files and checked the phone again.  After being given the option to run the update now or schedule a more convenient time, I indicated that I wanted to run the update immediately.  This last option is pretty important, since the update takes a couple of hours to run and takes your phone completely offline while it happens.

I'm happy to report that the update worked flawlessly, with the phone coming back and reestablishing the connection with the network and picking up all the emails, voicemail and texts missed during the downtime.  The neatest thing that happened was a routine that backed up all the contents and settings for the phone, stored them during the upgrade and then restored them afterwards.  I would love to see this capacity added as a function of the phone.  That might make for more frequent backups, removing the need to break out the laptop and cable to get the job done...

Good job, RIM and Sprint!

Journeyman

I went to automatic updates this morning and was able to download 4.7.1.57 without any problems... it even restored everything and reset the phone.  Allow plenty of time though.  I do not know what is actually in the update, but so far I haven't had problems whatsoever.

Journeyman

Sounds good.  I've had good luck with .57.  Not the fastest OS in the world, but stable.  I previously had problems with .40 and disconnecting the headset - it would think it was still attached.  I haven't had any of that with .57.

I haven't tried upgrading over the network - I would think that would take too much time.  I download the OS from RIM and install it on my computer.  The other night I wiped my phone completely and installed .57.  It took 22 minutes from starting the wipe until the phone setup screen returned.  I usually don't back up my apps because I prefer to install only the ones I want since I try out so many.  Of course, I did back up my data before doing all this.

Still waiting for OS5 - the beta's are much faster.

GlennJ

Journeyman

I  update to the new os and it works great.

Journeyman

Rumor has it that you see OS 5.0 in the next day or 2.

Journeyman

OS5 would be nice.  Something to do this weekend.  I'm even considering a hybrid if nothing official comes out.  If it works reasonably well, I'll keep it on the phone.  After Friday, the phone won't be as necessary for awhile.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat