cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provisioning issues on Tour?

Journeyman

Provisioning issues on Tour?

Is anyone else having difficulty getting their Tour provisioned? I spent 30 minutes on the phone this morning, another hour just now with a member of Sprint's BB support team trying to get my tour to do ANYTHING data or web related. None of my emails work, no browser capabilities and I have a generally bad taste in my mouth for a phone that I ordered in the first moments of availability so I could take arrival as soon as possible.

I think I am going to love this phone and I understand that a new and somewhat complex device is going to have some issues at launch, but this is as difficult a process I have ever been through for a smartphone. Support personnel have been patient and understanding to a fault...but that gives me little comfort that I'll be able to make full use of the capabilities my new device.

Anyone else experiencing Tour Fail?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had trouble helping a couple of customers to provision the Tour via chat, however most are provisioning successfully that I have encountered.  I hope this can be worked out for you to enjoy your new phone. 

Highlighted
Wizard

Just a quick thought - could it have something to do with the BB 9630 tour using an 18 digit MSID instead of the more common 11 digit ESN?

Highlighted
Master

I'm thinking this could be the issue with recent phones having several issues. The 8330m device have reports of unstable signals, and dropped calls. The Pre likewise, and the Tour now as well. I'm thinking it has to do with the MEID switchover causing havok compared to the ESN system. The ESN system is now filled with devices, hence the switch to MEIDs instead; there were only so many combinations available for devices with unique ESNs, and they have pretty much all been used. MEID on the other hand is compatible with IMEIs and allows many more combinations.

Granted I have no technical knowledge in this area, just what I have read online; but to me, that seems to be the common link between all of these devices having issues.

Highlighted
Wizard

Kevin, is there any way to get a high enough level Sprint tech in one of the back rooms to answer a simple question about Sprint's use of ESNs, MEIDs, and pESNs (pseudo ESN)?

Last info I had was that VZW used pESNs generated from the MEIDs in phones because of some of their legacy backend systems, but as more MSID phones are added to the network there is a higher and higher chance of more than one unit having the same pESN and causing ESN collisions which totally destroys network integrity.

Does Sprint use pESNs for ANY functions.

If so, how quickly with that need be eliminated, and is that possibly causing some of the problems with MEID phones like the BB 8330m, the Palm Pre, and the BB 9630?

(I'm also going to ask this elsewhere...)

Message Edited by Tomas on 07-17-2009 10:14 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Tomas wrote:

Kevin, is there any way to get a high enough level Sprint tech in one of the back rooms to answer a simple question about Sprint's use of ESNs, MEIDs, and pESNs (pseudo ESN)?

Last info I had was that VZW used pESNs generated from the MEIDs in phones because of some of their legacy backend systems, but as more MSID phones are added to the network there is a higher and higher chance of more than one unit having the same pESN and causing ESN collisions which totally destroys network integrity.

Does Sprint use pESNs for ANY functions.

If so, how quickly with that need be eliminated, and is that possibly causing some of the problems with MEID phones like the BB 8330m, the Palm Pre, and the BB 9630?

(I'm also going to ask this elsewhere...)

Message Edited by Tomas on 07-17-2009 10:14 PM

My understanding is they ran out of, or were close to running out of ESN's and they stopped issueg them last year. I know MEID's are 56 bit and ESN's are 32 bits long and they are only used on CDMA Networks. The problem with pESN's is they are not guaranteed to be unique, so you could have 2 phones with the same pESN, and it's my understand the chance is 1 in 1 million phones.
As of TIA/EIA/IS-41 Revision D and TIA/EIA/IS-2000 Rev C, the ESN is still a required field in many messagesfor compatibility, devices with an MEID can use a pseudo ESN (pESN), which is a manufacturer code of 0x80 (formerly reserved) followed by the least significant 24 bits of the SHA-1 hash of the MEID.
Since there are so many phones out there from the ESN days, I doubt they could turn it off in the next couple of years, and it is still a required field for messages. As a carrier it is cheaper to wait it out for 5 years, then give those an incentive to upgrade to newer technologies with an MEID. It is almost like the old analog cell to digital transition, that didn't happen overnight.

Highlighted
Journeyman

as with any new type device you will have service issues.i was fortunate to reciveve the new 8350i bb nextel when it was released   as   well and the manufacturer of the devices R.I.M. were very timely and fast in sending patches as it pertains to the devices.also sometimes devices arent  forbidden from coming with a corrupt programs or applications which may and can be taken to an authorized   service center. The TOUR is a great device and the provisioning issues will improve.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat