cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of my 8350i, and why is Direct Connect missing from the Tour...?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sick of my 8350i, and why is Direct Connect missing from the Tour...?

I'm getting tired of my 8350i and its many quirks. As much as I love not receiving textswhile on a call, voicemail notices hours later, or even how it sends everyone to voicemail (immediately or after ittells them its supposedly locating me) whileI try to surf at very slow data speeds, or how its nicewhenI've got DC going and all calls go directly to my voicemail. It's just getting a bit old. Since when did newer phones send people directly to voicemail when you're using any of their features? Calls are important, they should barge through whatever I am doing on the phone. It's also been fun to loginto http://mms.nextel.com/mmsway too oftenand see the texts Ididnot receive for whatever reason this time.

Maybe its just me where AT&T had PTT on almost all their phones and even PDAs, but Nextel being known for Direct Connect and Sprint still trying to integrate its networks years later- I would have thought Sprint might actually try to compete to keep people interested with how well Nextel could do DC. There are toofew DC phones available, most of which all have the same features but look different, and the only 1(WOW!)new-ish smartphone with DC isn't a vast selection to attract or keep customers.

Direct connect is very useful for getting in touch quickly, definitely not for long back-and-forth conversations, but is essential as I'm inlaw enforcement. DC is greaton the go even to family members or friends, but WOW do we need more selection of phones and PDAs. I would havepurchased eitherthe Instinct,Touch, Touch Diamond, Pearl, or Tour should those of had DC, but I guess Sprint doesn't think people are still interested in a DC phone with any type of smartphone features, they just believe we should settle for the way outdated Curve that othercompanieshave had one similar tofor 3+ years. The internet and any apps that rely it are only really useful on wifi, otherwise I just click, lie it down and wait, then repeat.

My Moto ic902 had a great concept, of what each division did the best at: Sprint for voice & data thenNextel for DC calls, and it even decent battery life. Put thatPowersource technologyin Blackberrys and smartphones and you got yourself a winner. My Moto v950 with q-chat did eat away at the battery while doing the DC thing, but at least it has the feature.I'm sure many of us would just at least like to see q-chat in more phones if not DC.

Sprint/Nextel: Start equipping more phones with Direct Connect in some fashion or you will loose so many more customers then you already have. Marketing the feature would helpto attract attention, but you have to have a variety of phones to choose from to get folks interested in it. Do not tell them they have to settle for 1 of about 9 or 10,8 of which look almost identical and have the exact same features, as customers will continue to laugh at you when you tell them you only have 1 that's a PDA. AT&T has severalmore, and isn't known for PTT like Nextel. Bring back Powersource phones, that was a great concept!

Message Edited by Pauley on 07-02-2009 02:22 AM

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sick of my 8350i, and why is Direct Connect missing from the Tour...?

From the sound of it, you OBVIOUSLY have had little or no experience previously when it comes to Nextel and the iDEN network, or at least...based on your description, it seems like you don't. So, given that you have experience with AT&T's PTT service, as well as with SprintNextel's hybrid and Q-chat handset lineup.

Well, like I'm sure you've noticed, whether it's a Q-chat enabled phone, or a hybrid model, if you are in the middle of a DC call, then any regular voice calls get sent to voicemail. Why? Because the system is designed to prioritize DC (aka PTT) calls, and everything else is secondary. Additionally, iDEN-only phones (like your BB 8350i) are limited to performing one application at a time. You won't be able to check your email while using PTT or making a phone call while downloading a PDF file. It's just the limitations of the system and the service.

Now, will you get an alert that you have a voicemail message? Absolutely, but it's based on doing so after your DC call ends. Now, there are certain settings that one can make use of on some handsets where you can be alerted instantly when you're on a voice call. Your handset will display a message stating that you have a new voicemail message or text message (and an accompanying sound/beep) while you remain on the call.

The ic902 is a decent hybrid, no complaints from me on that end. However, you have to realize that the two systems run in parallel. As such, DC is NOT going to prevent you from being alerted that you have a voice call, and vice versa. That's the nature of that beast. It's nice, but it too has its limitations. It's just a matter of whether you can live with the current limitations or not.

Personally, I do agree with you: far more handsets (like the HTC Touch Pro2, BB Tour, Palm Pre, etc.) SHOULD and NEED to be equipped with NDC. Not having it on those phones, in my view, is a seriously big mistake. After all, if AT&T can have so many phones offered that are capable of PTT, then why can't SprintNextel? I mean, 1 BB (and not an all that impressive BB at that) is simply not enough. Sprint should insist that ALL of their new handsets are DC capable. Period. Let the user decide whether they want the service or not. After all, today, us consumers are hard pressed to find a phone that doesn't have a built-in camera, or functions as an MP3 player, etc. It's simply next to impossible. So, since the trend has become for phones to become the electronic equivalent of Swiss Army knives, then why not make sure that all of SprintNextel's handsets have the ability to at least offer the customer the ability to use NDC? After all, not everyone wants or needs a digital camera, but easily 75% (if not more) of the handsets today have it. It's up to the user to decide if they want to take pictures with their phone, or with a digital (or, God forbid, 35mm film) camera. So too should it be with NDC.

The only serious flaw I have with your argument is the idea that hybrids were a great concept. I, personally, disagree with you. I think the battery life for all of those were simply horrible. Also, hybrids suffer a serious flaw (at least for most non-iDEN users) in that they are not capable of roaming. And, with the exception of the ic902 that you mentioned, NONE of the other hybrid phones really offered up high speed data services. I mean, 1xrtt really is not all that much faster than iDEN's native data speed.

So, to me, the hybrids were (at best) a stop-gap measure...and given their track record, they failed miserably. Ah well...

Journeyman

@quasijedi wrote:

From the sound of it, you OBVIOUSLY have had little or no experience previously when it comes to Nextel and the iDEN network, or at least...based on your description, it seems like you don't. So, given that you have experience with AT&T's PTT service, as well as with SprintNextel's hybrid and Q-chat handset lineup.

Well, like I'm sure you've noticed, whether it's a Q-chat enabled phone, or a hybrid model, if you are in the middle of a DC call, then any regular voice calls get sent to voicemail. Why? Because the system is designed to prioritize DC (aka PTT) calls, and everything else is secondary. Additionally, iDEN-only phones (like your BB 8350i) are limited to performing one application at a time. You won't be able to check your email while using PTT or making a phone call while downloading a PDF file. It's just the limitations of the system and the service.

Now, will you get an alert that you have a voicemail message? Absolutely, but it's based on doing so after your DC call ends. Now, there are certain settings that one can make use of on some handsets where you can be alerted instantly when you're on a voice call. Your handset will display a message stating that you have a new voicemail message or text message (and an accompanying sound/beep) while you remain on the call.

The ic902 is a decent hybrid, no complaints from me on that end. However, you have to realize that the two systems run in parallel. As such, DC is NOT going to prevent you from being alerted that you have a voice call, and vice versa. That's the nature of that beast. It's nice, but it too has its limitations. It's just a matter of whether you can live with the current limitations or not.

Personally, I do agree with you: far more handsets (like the HTC Touch Pro2, BB Tour, Palm Pre, etc.) SHOULD and NEED to be equipped with NDC. Not having it on those phones, in my view, is a seriously big mistake. After all, if AT&T can have so many phones offered that are capable of PTT, then why can't SprintNextel? I mean, 1 BB (and not an all that impressive BB at that) is simply not enough. Sprint should insist that ALL of their new handsets are DC capable. Period. Let the user decide whether they want the service or not. After all, today, us consumers are hard pressed to find a phone that doesn't have a built-in camera, or functions as an MP3 player, etc. It's simply next to impossible. So, since the trend has become for phones to become the electronic equivalent of Swiss Army knives, then why not make sure that all of SprintNextel's handsets have the ability to at least offer the customer the ability to use NDC? After all, not everyone wants or needs a digital camera, but easily 75% (if not more) of the handsets today have it. It's up to the user to decide if they want to take pictures with their phone, or with a digital (or, God forbid, 35mm film) camera. So too should it be with NDC.

The only serious flaw I have with your argument is the idea that hybrids were a great concept. I, personally, disagree with you. I think the battery life for all of those were simply horrible. Also, hybrids suffer a serious flaw (at least for most non-iDEN users) in that they are not capable of roaming. And, with the exception of the ic902 that you mentioned, NONE of the other hybrid phones really offered up high speed data services. I mean, 1xrtt really is not all that much faster than iDEN's native data speed.

So, to me, the hybrids were (at best) a stop-gap measure...and given their track record, they failed miserably. Ah well...

Hybrids are capable of roaming, but only on other PCS networks. When my wife and i were in Florida, I roamed quite a bit on my ic602. If I lived there, I'd definitely switch back to iDEN.

The battery life is also very good if you get the extended battery. The ic602 came equipped with one.

jrfdsf, true...they will roam as you said on the PCS side, but not in the 800-900 Mhz side because that would interfere with the iDEN PTT signal (which also uses the 800-900Mhz spectrum).

And I agree, if you're living in Florida (at least in Orlando or Miami), I'd probably opt for a pure iDEN-only phone rather than a hybrid or even a pure CDMA Sprint phone. But, that's just my preference of the matter. In other parts of the country, I might instead opt for Verizon, or Sprint, or even...*gulp*...AT&T. Just a matter of preference and who has the most towers up and running properly. Plus, the handset being used does play some role.

And finally, as far as battery life goes, I was under the impression that none of the hybrid phones came with the extended battery, only the standard battery. So, if the ic602 has an extended battery as their "standard" battery, then that's a good thing. But keep in mind, the ic602 does not offer EVDO connectivity (it's stuck on 1xrtt), so using data services naturally needs less power from your battery, so it will last far longer than the same battery using an ic902. Ah well...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat