Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint TeleNAV AND Sprint Navigation

Journeyman

Sprint TeleNAV AND Sprint Navigation

According to some posts on crackberry.com the TELENAV app that comes with the BB Bold 9930 is not as feature rich as Sprint Navigation that shipped with my BB Curve. Traffic updates are missing. Is this true? Will I get an extra charge for TeleNAV services when I upgrade to a new BB in March?

John

6 REPLIES 6

JohnWolf6589, I am researching the features on the TeleNav features for you and will update you when I finish (I am currently waiting for the TeleNav to download on the 9930). I know on my particular device (EVO) the TeleNav does have a traffic feature and there is no additional charge unless you wish to upgrade to premium..

John, Traffic updates are available with the TeleNav, There are 2 ways to use the traffic view. If you are using the Navigation to guide you some where it will only give you the current average speed for drivers on the particular roads it is navigating you to. Then there is the Map and Traffic view which allows you to see where a back up starts at and where it ends as seen in the Pictures below. As far as a charge it is free unless you wish to upgrade to Premium which is $4.99/month and gives you these added features Legal speed limit, Commute Alerts, lane assist, speed traps, and red light camera alerts. New Image3.JPGthis is while you are in turn by turn navigation

New Image1.JPGthis is the view while you are in Maps and Traffic.

Journeyman

Thank you for this post. I am leaning towards the BB Bold, but may give the iPhone a shot, and then I would have to use TeleNav and not Sprint Navigation. Ever used TeleNav on the iPhone? How is it better or different than Sprint Navigation? I hear I have to pay $20 or so a year for the iPhone TeleNav app.

Wizard

If you get an iPhone: TeleNav (paid version) in the App Store = Sprint Navigation (by TeleNav).  But there are other acceptable alternatives.  Many people are happy with Waze (free turn by turn and social alerts) and then there are other free and paid versions like Mapquest, Motion GPS, Garmin USA, TomTom USA, etc. The latter two aren't cheap, but will place the entire map database on your device and won't require a wireless signal to navigate (unlike the others). Actually, the App Store has many more navigation apps to choose from:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-navigation/id6010?mt=8

Journeyman

But then I lose all 30-50 go to addresses I have in my phone because Telenav for iphone cannot sync with the Sprint website. I already have a Garmin for my car so the phone is just useful when I am bike riding, or when I am away from my car. I like Sprint Nav for BB because it syncs with website, etc.. In time iPhone version may do the same I hope... But if not the other thing I am worried about is the bulk of iPhone. How bulky is it with Otterbox case?

JohnWolf6589, The iPhones dimensions are 4.5" x 2.31" x 0.37". Depending on the otterbox you chose it can be quite bulky. The otterbox defender which is the most expensive has 3 layers to it so if you were to chose that I would say it will increase the thickness by almost 1/2 inch. The least expensive is the Impact seriers which has less protection so it wont bulk up your phone as much.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat