ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint - When will you release OS v5.0 for the Blackberry phones?

Highlighted

Sprint - When will you release OS v5.0 for the Blackberry phones?

Searching on various Blackberry internet forums, other phone carriers have released OS v5.0 for the Blackberry phones. It seems Sprint is the last carrier to do so. Even Boost Mobile (owned by Sprint) has v5.0 for their Blackberry phones.  Why does the "Pay as you Go" customers get the most updated software programs first instead of the Sprint Premier customer?

I have talked to tech support at Sprint and to me, I'd get more information talking to a brick wall.  No info to give out, nobody hire up has any answer and no reason why Boost Mobile got the v5.0 first.  If there is anyone higher up working at Sprint, please answer my question.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Sprint - When will you release OS v5.0 for the Blackberry phones?

I've been with the company for about 4 months now and from what I've picked up, phone updates rely on two parties. Sprint as a company have part in software/firmware update and the manufacture also plays a part in this update. Seems to me that if Verizons phones had/have (i'm not sure) 5.0 updates, than Sprint should do. (Being that they're on the same technology type).

Have you called Blackberry to ask why they haven't pushed it through to Sprint phones? And did you also know that the Curve 2 (8530) has a 5.0 operating system?

Journeyman

I've contacted both parties. BlackBerry has already made the OS. Sprint is not ready to release it, but agents either do not or cannot tell us why.

So we're waiting on sprint. Either because they feel the new OS conflicts with the operation of some of their apps or it doesn't fully function on their network, or (most likely) they don't want to let users of older devices upgrade for a while, therefore they can push the sales of their newer products.

It just sounds like normal marketing strategy to me.

Journeyman

I don't know all the reasons behind the delayed release of 5.0, except that the current version of 5.0.0.419 release by other carriers is NOT compatible with carriers overseas, which the Tour 9630 can use when we travel overseas.

Therefore, I suspect that part of the holdup is getting the new OS to work with carriers in other countries.

There are also reports on the WWW that .419 has a nasty battery drain issue, SMS issues, and that the GPS chipsets on the Sprint and Verizon Tours don't have full functionality with the .419 build.

Just osme ideas as to why there is a hold up.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat