See Sara, Will, Kevin? This is why we keep badgering you when you say you will get back to us. Each of you have told us multiple times that you were checking things for us and would get back, and the "Blackberry Team" has told us nothing in any of their remarks except that they'd give us an update when they could.
I only have a few days left to cancel without ETF, so I need to know something concrete, now. It almost kills me to say it, but I might even be willing to wait for the freaking update for one more month, if you guys can put something in writing that will allow me to get out of contract at the end of Feb, without etf like I can do right now, if you don't release the update, regardless of the reason. I don't care if Verisign is blaming RIM and vice versa, it's still all your fault for using Pic Mail even though all of us have told you, repeatedly, that we want real MMS, which would be cheaper and easier to implement.
So does anyone at Sprint know anything? Can even one BB team member find their *** with both hands and a flashlight? Anyone want to guarantee the release will be out in the next 30 days to keep a customer for at least one more billing cycle? I need to know by tommorow because I'm going to VZW and then calling you to cancel on friday if you guys aren't doing anything about this.
And if you are just going to release another "update" that tells us nothing but to keep on waiting, please don't. It seems that someone over there is completely oblivious to the fact that it only makes us angrier every time you try to pull that condesending BS. It's like telling us you think we are stupid, especially when you keep doing it over and over even after we tell you that your updates have been BS every time.
Real facts, with dates (or at least a 2 wk range) that you will stick to at the risk of letting us (or just me) out of contract if you miss it, or nothing at all. At least nothing isn't condesending. I'd rather be ignored than insulted. But either way I'm leaving without a solid update.
A quick note - a search this morning shows that there is another Sprint BB OS leak, on which speakerblast seems to have disappeared, as well as correcting issues for people previously complaining about sprint tv not working correctly and other more minor bugs.
I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will, and if the other people who have already tested it are to be believed, this is a completely working build. It should be released. That is, unless Sprint is holding back the update until they can get Pic Mail to work, even though everyone wants REAL MMS.
C'mon Sprint, someone is letting these out into the wild so you HAVE to be getting close to something we can have.
Let's go already!!!
I beg of you to implement the native MMS standard and not make us use a Picture Mail application workaround.
I here ya Montana.... this is getting old...lol. It just amazes me that they can leak software that in all probability is not the final release, but they can't give us an update because of "legal stuff, you know.". It's pretty obivous that they're aware of the source of the leak, and nothing has been done to quiet this person, i.e... We're the beta testers....lol. Well, I would be except they keep releasing the 8330 OSes.... lol. Anyway, glad to see progress has been made. Now if you guys could just get MMS up and running, we would be sh*t hot....
9 hours to go. Worked it out so I can go to VZW in the morning before work, and the rep in the store is already holding the phone I want and has everything I need to port my number over ready.
So what do you say, Sprint? Got anything? Honestly, at this point I expected you to at least lie to me, and give me the option to leave without ETF at the end of the month, on the off chance that you actually did release the update in time and could keep me. And then even if you didn't make the mark, at least you got one more month out of me. Not that I want you to lie, but at least it would show you had even the slightest bit of confidence, a 50/50 shot maybe, of actually releasing this update by the end of February.
So everyone else watching and waiting, beware. If they can't give an update by the end of the day, it really proves they know they won't have an update. If this update is something you really need, like me, you can all leave without ETF right now. I know alot of you keep seeing posts about the 24 cent increase not being enough to let you out of contract, but that's ridiculous. If that was the case, sprint could just increase by a little bit every single month until everyone is paying 50 bucks more for the same service. And in any case, I called up a couple of people who could give a real legal perspective on it. Here is what I posted in a different thread on the subject:
I've read this junk about the 24 cent charge not being a material adverse change repeatedly here and in a few other places as well. So, I called up two of the judges I know from when I was a network admin for the city.
Just so we can put this to rest, at least from a legal perspective, both judges said it was a "material adverse change", and that if it was only one cent it would still be so. The contract does not have subjective wording that would allow the judge to decide if it was a big enough change. For example, if the contract said "great" material adverse change, the judge would have leeway to decide how bad it would affect you. But it just says "material", which means something you can touch or measure, "adverse", meaning bad, and "change", meaning not what you agreed to originally. 1 cent less in my pocket is a material adverse change, and the judge has to follow that wording to the letter of the law.
If any of you want to get out of contract for any reason, you can do so with this change. It is not up to sprint, or even a judge, how bad you have to be affected before you can get out. It's up to you. If sprint refuses to let you out, just keep arguing. Stick to your guns. They HAVE to let you out. They are in breach of contract if they don't, and you can sue for much more than the etf fee at that point. They will lie at first and say you can't cancel, but just stick to your guns and they will eventually let you out.
So there you go. Sprint will probably change the wording in their contracts to fix this, but the contract we all signed has it this way. So if you want to leave, get to another carrier while you still can.
5 hours to go.
Still holding out some small ammount of hope, not really over the 30 bucks extra a month it's going to cost me over there, but mostly because I know what a pain number ports can be. I kept my last phone number through 5 switches, and it never seems to get any easier.
But, I just called the store, and if I pay full price for my new phone, or if I change my mind about it and just use my current phone, VZW will let me get my service without contract. Yet another advantage over Sprint. Sprint won't even let you re-activate old service without contract, much less get a whole new account. Just gotta download that program that unlocks BB's before I go to the store.