cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's new BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone

81 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Sprint's new BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone

Does anyone know if the price of this phone will drop anytime soon..$300 is a bit steep, even thought there is $100 mail in rebate.

Journeyman

I'm not sure i understand you, are you saying you can make wifi phone calls using 4g on an overdrive?  I was under the impression only T-Mobile had fones that could use wifi to make a fone call.  Cause the overdrive only does the hotspot thing, it doesnt give you a cellular signal to make calls.  Love my overdrive btw.

Journeyman

My 9650 is working great.  I had an Iphone previously, but the ATT service was so poor, I had to switch.  I had a chance to get the EVO, but I figured I'll pocket the $10/mo for 12 months = $120 over one year, then maybe get the EVO when they get 4G around here.  Phones like the EVO, Iphone, Droids, etc.  seem to all have battery life issues if you use the multimedia stuff on it extensively.  I just needed a dependable phone.  I found that dependibility in the 9650.  It has served me well, even though it's not a "cool" phone.  But when my Iphone friends all have their phones plugged in at 2pm in the afternoon, my BB has got plenty of battery life left in it for the day.

I'm waiting for a year before I take the plunge on an EVO to see what issues there are with them.  Those that I know who have the EVO love them, except for the battery issues.

Journeyman

The 30-day period is OK...if you don't go over by a day or two. Then you're stuck with a POS for at least a year. I never had reception issues with the 8330, voice or data. Now...I'm stuck a POS for a year. Even the replacement 9650 has the same issues, with no solution in sight. So good for you if your's is operating fine. I don't play games, etc., on mine either. So count yourself among the blessed.

Journeyman

Just thought I'd throw a positive comment out here.  More times than not the comments that are made have something negative to say,  and that's OK.  I'm in to my fourth week with the 9650.  No issues whatsoever.  Signal strength fine,  track pad fine,  key board fine,  call quality fine, I have never dropped a call.  Coming from the Curve 8330,  the speed of the phone is much better.  Web sites/pages load very quickly for me.  The Blackberry browser is what it is but it serves my purpose.  We'll just have to wait and see how OS6 will improve that  experience.  I don't need a phone to play games,  watch movies,  make movies, etc.

Obviously there are issues with the phone as there will be with any mass produced consumer product.  It shouldn't happen but it does and will.  If you are still within your thirty day period,  return the phone for another.  That option is always available.

Journeyman

Unfortunately, you face the same problem I had. I was only 5 days past Sprint's 30-day trial period for the 9650 and they wouldn't allow me to switch to the EVO. Even with the additional service charge, the EVO is a much better phone and better choice. But I'm stuck with this POS that Blackberry should be ashamed of. I suffer from the same weak reception that you mentioned and more, including a pathetic battery. On top of that, RIM is making everybody wait for its OS 6, which may or may not improve performance, while they tout their latest phone, the 9800 (only available on AT&T for now). They have not bothered to address any of the problems with the 9650, and won't even bother to comment on the myriad of complaints from their "valued" customers. Their arrogance is unbelievable! And it seems Sprint is stuck with it. They have no solution to offer its "valued customers" either. I would gladly give up my 9650 for an EVO or even the new 3G/4G addition, the Samsung Epic, and they can have this POS back. This is my second 9650; the replacement for the first one (apparently Sprint's only solution for 9650 problems). As much as I love Sprint's service, if these problems continue to fester, they need to make some exceptions for those of use stuck with this POS or they're going to lose a lot of customers. This highly-competitive industry depends on recommendations and family plans. Ignoring these problems is going to pull Sprint down, for sure. What would they rather do? Lose a little on the cost of replacing sub-par phones or lose it all for lack of initiative in customer service? What good is a service if it can't be accessed? And why continue to pay for something that's sporadically? These are questions that Sprint needs to address and resolve for their "valued customers."

Journeyman

I purchased this phone less than 2 months ago, and I am very disappointed with it. Supposedly this is Sprint's top of the line Blackberry, but it sure doesn't stand up to it. First and foremost, the signal strength is weak, like so many other people have commented, I too am experiencing dropped calls and fluctuating signal strength at any given time. Second, I have the tilted trackpad, which really doesn't bother me that much, but due to the high side on the left of the trackpad, the pad is starting to chip on that side (this bothers me, as it is only going to get worse). For a phone that retails for over $500.00, this is absolutely absurd. Third, the keyboard keys are already starting to show signs of wear, this should not be happening to a phone that is not even 2 months old. I wish i could just trade this POS for a new phone from Sprint. I should have purchased the HTC EVO. I currently have a family plan with 3 children on it, thats 5 phones and we all have Blackberrys. I think my day of using Blackberrys is coming to an end. I am going to try to contact Sprint and hope that they can help resolve my issues, if not, I will switch carriers as well.

Journeyman

I switched from AT&T to Sprint and got the BlackBerry Bold 9650.  I constantly had dropped calls and call failed with AT&T in my area.  I was amazingly surprised when I received this phone and have great reception in my area with no dropped calls or call failed.  I'm a very happy customer and am happy with this phone.  I text, email, and talk alot so this phone suits me,  So thanks Sprint for your plans and this phone that has great reception in my area in Kentucky.

Journeyman

The battery life is horrible with the stock battery. I opted for the extended battery from Seidio; the 2600 Ahm, with back cover. It's a little thicker, but it's slim enough to fit into the included case without any problem. I've found this battery gives me almost double the battery life of the standard one. It's worth the price. You can find it on Crackberry.com or eBay. It works.

Journeyman

Horrible!!  I'm in construction so I don't use the web and stuff as much as i use the phone but i Have to charge the phone 4 times a day!!! the battery is a joke!!!