cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint, some information on 4.5?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint, some information on 4.5?

I'm tired of tacking 5 other threads. If you are new to these forums and don't know the long history of this, read these:

(links open in new window)

MMS application for BlackBerry

Update on 4.5 code upgrade

Response from the BlackBerry team regarding availability of 4.5

When will Sprint start seriously supporting the Blackberry users???

Updated info on 4.5 from Blackberry team at Sprint

Also, this thread is locked, but significant:

SPRINT , BLACKBERRY CUSTOMERS NEED YOUR SUPPORT

It's important to note that Sprint gave what they consider an "update" after the deadline had already past, but felt like they deserved some points for trying. A day late and a dollar short as the saying goes...

And what was that update? Check that "Updated info on 4.5" link.Summarized without exageration orspin: We are working out bugs that we can't tell you about because of legal issues. Not everyone would be affected but for the people who would be it will be significant. It will be out for the Pearl and Curve at first, and the 8830 and 8703e later, and will include MMS.

They spread outbarely overtwo lines ofstuff in to a post and called it an update. Only the last 21 words that I wrote were new info, and they even stretched that a bit more, like a student using a big font and double spacing to make his paper the right length.

SoSprint, look at it from our point of view.Lets say you can buy cable service from CableA, CableB CableC. You go with CableC because they are the cheapest. Everyone on all three companies gets the sameMotorola DVR box, but CableC'srelease of it is a firmware levelback soit won't recordand it's menu guide is missing some good features. Now CableC initially denies that lack of recording is that big an issue because you can work around it with a VCR. And then tells you, repeatedly, for months after CableA and CableBboth implement every feature the box is capable of, that they will get you an update, but they don't know when.

When you call, angry that you missed all your shows because you cant record and had to work late, would you consider "We still don't know when, but we are working bugs out of the firmware. It will definately work on your box and include recording capability." to be an update? No. Without telling us why we aren't getting it now even though much smaller companies have been able to implement it, why your programmers seem to be so slow, (or maybe they are great and fast but you have just understaffed that department compared to other companies?) what is wrong and WHEN it will be fixed, it is no update. A hint at a feature (that isn't even fully explained, because we really don't know if you mean MMS or Pic Mail and they are different things!)

So Sprint. Dan? Maybe you think this isn't that big a deal and we are blowing this out of proportion. I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't have a comercial right now that specifically talks about all the things phones can do. So if you acknowledge that the features we want are important, then it is a big deal to be three months behind Verizon and even they were a bit slow compared to some other carriers.

Could you please tell us what is wrong and when we can expect it to be fixed, and for a few of us who need one or two of these features bad enough to make us jump ship this month while we can use your pricing increase to do it for free, maybe we can beta test it, at our risk,for you. We are obviously capable of providing feedback and bug reports since we post here every day.

And could you lock those other threads to reduce my eye strain and carpal tunnel?

Tags (4)
41 REPLIES 41
Journeyman

Re: Sprint, some information on 4.5?

Very well written, and I agree! Someone needs to pass this up the chain! I am giving it another month, If not this 10 year sprint customer will be on his way to verizon!

Message Edited by tarhonky on 01-08-2009 02:28 PM

Journeyman

Kudos from me, this is an EXCELLENT post, it sums everything up and is very well written and thought out.

I send Will England a PM on here asking him to lock the other 4.5 threads so that his could be stickied near the top so we would all have the "latest or newest" information right at the top and not have 4 other threads all going at once, and he said he would. Hope he gets around to it that might help.

With that said you are totally ight in every aspect of your post. I know some will say that the negative ones are the ones who make the biggest stink and that those who are happy don't really say much of anything until something goes wrong. That is true to some aspect, but this is just a stupid issue that should be resolved.

I'll also chime in on the Picture Mail deal, we have exchanged thoughts and ideas on the issue a couple of times, I don't know if it is a licensing deal or if Sprint owes Verisign money still, but no one wants the service or any aspect of it. I have 10 other online photo sharing services I use that all work better than Picture Mail. Not to mention I don't feel like going on a website and cleaning out all the T&A pictures my buddies send of their wives off a website I never asked to even use. Cell phone pictures aren't made to capture those special moments, they aren't made to take 1,000 photos of your wedding or graduation. They are simply there for quick shots meant to be passed around or joked about which is why they look like $hit most of the time on the web. They look just fine displayed on my screen for the 30 seconds I look at it and decide if I want to save it to my memory card or not, this is what MMS is meant for.

edit to add information

over on blackberryforums.com a couple users are reporting that we will be getting the 4.5 and MMS anywhere from the 15th to the end of the month, per their conversations with CS. So I would expect if the CS reps are telling people this then we should be getting information on here first.....one user said that CS told them they (Sprint) was waiting for a stable 4.5 from RIM to add the MMS to.......this makes no sense to me.

Message Edited by MontanaXVI on 01-08-2009 04:31 PM

Journeyman

Awesome, could not have said it better myself.

I bet, that the Sprint user base will have a hearty discussion here about this topic, Sprint will pipe in after everyone has given up with, we hear your pain and are working on it. No promises of anything, just the usual demand that comes in the mail each month from them, known as the bill. That is the most regular thing I hear from Sprint.

Journeyman

Journeyman

edit to add information

over on blackberryforums.com a couple users are reporting that we will be getting the 4.5 and MMS anywhere from the 15th to the end of the month, per their conversations with CS. So I would expect if the CS reps are telling people this then we should be getting information on here first.....one user said that CS told them they (Sprint) was waiting for a stable 4.5 from RIM to add the MMS to.......this makes no sense to me.

I'm going to guess that that was what they were told when they were calling to cancel without ETF, to keep them around for a while. The mods on this board, who have (supposedly) been in direct contact with the BB development team, have no timeline to give us even though we have been specifically asking for that kind of information for months, but it is common knowledge among the CSR's in a call center? I doubt it. But maybe. I'd really like to get one of them recorded saying that. Is there a call recorder utility for BBerries?

Edit -

Your right about adding the mms not making sense. RIM's 4.5 is already stable. And if they are going with MMS and not Pic Mail, Rim's 4.5 comes with the service book, all they would have to do is modify it to match their server addresses and message size limits. Something is fishy.

There also is the third option. Alot of people on the blackberryforums site and crackberry make up rumors and whole conversations with Sprint all the time. That's why I pretty much don't vist there any more. Until I heard it for myself, or a recording from a more trusted source, I couldn't give it more than a 50/50 chance of really coming from Sprint.

Message Edited by jverity on 01-08-2009 03:53 PM

Journeyman

@jverity wrote:

edit to add information

I'm going to guess that that was what they were told when they were calling to cancel without ETF, to keep them around for a while. The mods on this board, who have (supposedly) been in direct contact with the BB development team, have no timeline to give us even though we have been specifically asking for that kind of information for months, but it is common knowledge among the CSR's in a call center? I doubt it. But maybe. I'd really like to get one of them recorded saying that. Is there a call recorder utility for BBerries?

No call recorder that I know of, but you can bet your tail I will try the chat now button on this very page and either get a screenshot or text copy.

Journeyman

So this is a little off topic but has anyone seen the banner ad on the main sprint page for the NEW palm pre? This makes me even more mad! I give sprint a year to fix my blackberry issues and nope we will just push a new phone and make those that bought the old one buy the new one only to get the issues fixed that were promised to me. I'm sorry this just pizzes me off! I am going to go to the verizon store right now and see what it's gonna take for me to get a bold over there.

Sorry just venting

WOODY

Journeyman

That speaks for itself.

Message Edited by MontanaXVI on 01-08-2009 05:11 PM

Journeyman

That's amazing! I ahve been told the same thing though. Another thing that pizzes me off about chat is that i get told that i am getting transfered to a sup and get the same one thongsangsuv everytime! I really think that something is up with that LOL

Good Pics!

WOODY

Journeyman

Here's what I got, I've only edited my name and PIN out:

4:05:33 PM System Connected to sprint-ap2.cnxchat.com
4:05:33 PM System Session ID: 4677843
4:05:33 PM SystemPlease hold and the next available agent will be with you shortly.
4:05:38 PM System Hi! Thanks for waiting. Because we take your security and privacy very serious, please be prepared to provide your account PIN or password or security answer.
4:05:38 PM System Michael CC has joined this session!
4:05:38 PM System Connected with Michael CC
4:05:42 PM Michael CC Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Michael. How may I assist you today?
4:06:35 PM ME Hi. some websites are reporting that sprint CSR's have said that OS 4.5 for blackberries will be released between the 15th and 31st of this month. Is this correct?
4:07:03 PM Michael CC Hello. I will be more than happy to assist you with this.
4:07:23 PM Michael CC For account verification, may I please have the 6-10 digit pin number on the account or could you please answer your security question for me?
4:08:35 PM MEXXXXXXXXXX is my pin. But this is just a general question that anyone should be able to ask, even if they are not a customer. I don't want anything done to my account.
4:10:03 PM Michael CC We are required to authenticate all chats. One moment please, while I research this information.
4:15:17 PM Michael CC I appreciate your patience. I am still researching that information for you.
4:15:24 PM ME ok, thank you.
4:22:02 PM Michael CC I do apologize, however there is no information available on this update. However, the new Blackberry Curve 8350i comes with OS 4.6.
4:23:33 PM ME Right, but I'd have to switch to the IDEN network and buy a new phone (without discounts since I am already in contract) to get it. I was looking for an OS update that always comes for free, and that every other carrier has already released, the last being verizon 3 months ago.
4:23:51 PM ME But thanks for checking anyway, just seeing if it was true or a rumor.
4:24:37 PM Michael CC For further assistance, I would recommend contacting Blackberry Tech Support at 866-303-2450.
4:25:06 PM ME Is that a Sprint number or a RIM number?
4:25:23 PM Michael CC This is Blackberry number.
4:26:08 PM MERim has already released 4.5, and as you said 4.6. They are done. I'm waiting for sprint to finish their customization and release it. It does me no good to get the update from anywhere else.
4:26:12 PM MEI'll just have to switch carriers before the end of the month (I don't want a nextel phone, and even if I did, I wouldn't buy a new phone from the same company that was forcing me to do so by not updating their software.)
4:26:26 PM METhanks. That will be all.
4:27:03 PM Michael CC Thanks again, ME. Have a nice evening!

So, It's just a rumor. LikeI said, that's why I don't visit those other boards anymore.

Message Edited by jverity on 01-08-2009 04:36 PM

Journeyman

Also, your rep said they had to verify your account and made you give your pin. Mine said nothing of the sorts. if they are going to feed us BS at least buy it all from the same store.

Too many different flavors of BS going around makes my stomach hurt.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat